Becoming Reformed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first got introduced to this stream of Christianity about 6 years ago when I was looking up some things on the internet. Election, and indeed all five DOG, were not hard for me to accept, gvien that I knew my Methodist church was horribly deficient theologically.

I suppose it was actually an element of youthful rebellion that led me to the DOG, as both of my parents are adamantly anti-Calvinist.

When I got to college, a well-meaning intense Bible study leader on my campus with the local Baptist Student Ministries engaged everyone in the group in ultra-serious discussions about various theological concepts. His quirk was that of the 5 points, he denied U and I, but really was so incredibly variable and suffering the problems of theological self-education without any mentorship or guidance. Well, he did get me to thinking quite a bit about my theology.

I briefly considered confessional Lutheranism due to my best friend's attendance at a good local LCMS church. Ultimately I was unable to accept it, because I disagreed with their stand on the sacraments. During this time, I also tossed around the idea of going to a good Reformed Anglican church near the campus.

However, it wasn't until I'd been chewed up and spit out by 2 parachurch ministries (including a "Christian" fraternity") that I really was led to a crisis point in late 2005. I was so disgusted with evangelicalisma that I saw only two options: become unchurched and study alone or find the best Presbyterian church I could find, since that's where my doctrine was most noted.

The Doctrines of Grace were obviously important in the matter, but there are other non-Presbyterian churches around that teach them. The real deal-sealers for me were in the Sacraments, Ecclesiology, the RPW (however badly practiced) and Confessionalism more specifically. These came at various times, but were utterly refreshing to behold, coming from "madhouse" Christianity like I was used to addressing.

Incidentally enough a Purpose-Driven Bible Study at the BSM 2+ years ago after it'd changed directors REALLY made me loathe broad evangelicalism's shallowness and narcissistic theology. I suppose many in my generation in my boat could also have ended up Eastern Orthodox (since that seems to be in vogue) or mystical Anglo-Catholic, but I'm grateful to God for Reformed Theology.

To answer the original post, I actually became Reformed through eschatology. The "Y2K crisis" brought me to study the end times in greater depth. I could not find any Biblical consistency in what I was being taught, such as 1,000 years between resurrection and John 5:28-29, "this generation", etc.

After asking around for a good preterist commentary on Revelation, I read David Chilton's "Days of Vengeance". Not only is this the best commentary ever on Revelation, but is an excellent systematic theology of the Reformed Faith. That, and Roman 9 brought me around.

(Proverbs 16:4 didn't hurt either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back