Divorcees in Ministry

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkicklig

Puritan Board Freshman
I have heard many different takes on the subject of divorcess in ministry:

1. They can never be in mininstry
2. They can serve, but not as a senior pastor or elder
3. They can serve in any capacity, so long as it wasn't there fault.
4. They can serve if they were divorced before they were saved.

This is quite a hot potato in many churches, what say ye Puritanheads?

I found this very helpful within the entire text.

If the man was recently divorce, lawfully, (his wife would have to be an unbeliever and have left him, or an unbeliever in a series of unrepentant adulterous affairs with no possibility of reconciliation after every effort has been placed forth) then this should be taken into consideration. If the man was not divorced lawfully then remarried, biblically he and his newly wed wife are committing adultery and should not be considered for the office, and should enter into counseling to see whether or not they are even Christians, why the divorce and remarriage took place, etc. Gentle Pastoral care over situations of this nature are important.

Are there many who would disagree with this?

The question is timely. I am aware of at least two schisms in Dutch Reformed communions in America where this has been the central issue.

I would note at the start, that the Webmaster assumes that the innocent party of a divorce may take a new spouce. That is not the historic position of the Western Church. Conservative Anglicans and Protestant Reformers do not agree that this is permissable, though the Westminster standards seem to permit it.

Having said that, let me ask if scripture is not holding deacons, presbyters, and bishops to a higher standard?

1 Timothy 3 verses 4 and 5 says; "One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection, with all gravity. But if a man knoweth not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God."

How can one, that has been through the chaos of divorce, be said to rule well his own house?

It would seem very much the exception that a divorced man would meet the qualifications for presbyter even granting the Webmasters understanding of 1 Timothy 3

The early church cannons understood this passage not to permit divorced and remarried persons to the office of deacon, presbyter or Bishop. They were permitted to be readers, and subdeacons, but they coiuld not hold an ordained office.

If a person who has been ordained is divorced does he forfiet his office. The understanding of the early church fathers was no, not necessarily. If he subsequently remarried did he forfiet the office. The ealy church fathers would answer yes. He should be content in the state that God called him or put him.

That is the historic position of the whole western church. Conservative Anglicans hold that position to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back