Information on Historic Reformed/Particular Baptist Liturgy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbenfie

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello everyone! Our church has began a move towards a more "liturgical" style service. We were(and really still are in many respects) very "low church" but we are about to start reciting the apostles creed, start using catechisms in the service, pastoral prayer, and moving towards more hymns/psalms. We've had trouble finding good sources for what a reformed or particular Baptist liturgical service would have looked like throughout history. Most of the changes we are making have come from looking at faithful Presbyterian churches in our area, which I am greatful for. But we are curious about how our Reformed Baptist from the past structured their worship services. I know Spurgeon varied the order of worship frequently, but stayed well within the Regulative principle. Books, example bulletins or services on youtube, etc would all be great. Thanks

I'm interested to see the responses as I don't know as much about Baptist liturgies, but you may find this volume of Reformation era liturgies helpful: https://reformationworship.com/

I believe many early Baptists would have been more similar to the "Middelburg Liturgy" as they would have followed the Puritans/non-conformists.

For historical Presbyterian and Puritan worship, see the Westminster Assembly's Directory for the Publick Worship of God.
Also the Directory of Family worship, passed around the same time in Scotland.

An important part of historic Reformed worship anywhere is singing God's psalms, which are commanded by God to be sung in his church (Eph 5:19, Col 3:16, James 5:13 among others).
Some resources for this would be the Scottish Metrical translation of the Psalms, as well as the originally French Genevan Psalter Calvin used. For the former, you can sing the psalms without learning new tunes - they can all be sung to some well-known ones like New Britan ("Amazing Grace") or St. Anne ("O God Our Help in Ages Past"). That said, there are many more tunes. You can find tunes and examples of psalmody here, here, here, here and probably more places too. On this thread you can even ask for specific recommendations for specific psalms.

Historic Presbyterian worship follows the regulative principle of worship (which I'd assume you hold to), and does it very consistently and "strictly". It may not be exactly "high church", but it isn't "low church" either.

Last edited:
Regardless of historical traditions, the LBCF is pretty clear on how God is to be worshipped. That many churches have strayed from that should not color your views. The service must include, and be limited to: prayer, singing, reading the Scripture, and preaching. In their season, the ordinances must be observed (rarely is the Supper celebrated weekly, and a weekly baptism would be glorious, but unrealistic) If God has not commanded something, it is forbidden. That's the RPW.
What order the elements are done in is up to prudence and the light of nature, but they are non-negociable, and may not be added to nor diminished from.
Catechisms, confessions, and creeds have no place in the regulated worship service, though useful to be studied and memorized at other times, whether in a Sunday school setting, or an evening event. Just not in the formal worship service itself.

Thank you all for the information, I will look through all those resources. A local ARP pastor recommended Hughes Oliphant Old as well.

In regards to usings creeds and catechisms during the worship service and the regulative principle, I honestly don't have any specific scripture in mind. I assumed that it would be along the same lines at teaching/preaching the word. This is essentially what we hope to accomplish with it. The creed would be recited and we are using the section of the heidelburg that works through the creed with scriptural support right now. A local ARP congregation I am close with does something similar. Ill do some more reading and searching on it. It seems like there are a few different views of how the regulative principle is interpreted. Would this be along the same lines as why some of the reformed don't use insturments in worship, since there is no new testament passage that specifically says to do so?(I know there are Psalms that mention using insturments, and in comparision, there are some old testament passages that show a creed is used) Im not trying to start a debate, just trying to learn and be as faithful as possible.

Also, Psalm singing is another element we want to incorporate. I see the very clear scripture support for this.

I will look into middelburg liturgy. Im very curious about how Historic Baptist worshiped. Our leanings to be "independent" seems to have kept us from having good historical sources for this.

(I know there are Psalms that mention using insturments, and in comparision, there are some old testament passages that show a creed is used) Im not trying to start a debate, just trying to learn and be as faithful as possible.

I presumed as much that you are trying to be as faithful as possible. There really is no debate as to following the RPW requires Scriptural basis. I am curious about the OT passage that uses a creed in public worship?

Historically, the 1689 2LBCF Ch. 22, Paragraph 5 states regarding RPW:

"The reading of the Scriptures,16 preaching, and hearing the Word of God,17 teaching and admonishing one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with grace in our hearts to the Lord;18 as also the administration of baptism,19 and the Lord's supper,20 are all parts of religious worship of God, to be performed in obedience to him, with understanding, faith, reverence, and godly fear; moreover, solemn humiliation, with fastings,21 and thanksgivings, upon special occasions, ought to be used in an holy and religious manner.22"

16 1 Tim. 4:13
17 2 Tim. 4:2; Luke 8:18
18 Col. 3:16; Eph. 5:19
19 Matt. 28:19–20
20 1 Cor. 11:26
21 Esther 4:16; Joel 2:12
22 Exod. 15:1–19, Ps. 107

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back