Pastors Most Used Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother John

Puritan Board Sophomore
This question is for the Pastors on the PB. After the Bible what are the books you most use on a daily and weekly basis? And what do you use them for?

Calvin's Commentaries in preparation for sermons.

I don't use these every week (I only own a couple that I found used for a good price), but Louw and Nida have these translators guides for each book of the NT. I believe they are essentially used by Bible translators in the mission field, but they are very helpful in translating various passages and seeing nuances and meanings in terms.

I'm not a pastor, but I remember Spurgeon saying that he read through Calvin's Institutes at least once a year. No doubt this had an impact on his preaching and teaching.

I'm not a pastor, but I remember Spurgeon saying that he read through Calvin's Institutes at least once a year. No doubt this had an impact on his preaching and teaching.

J.Dean do you remember where you read this? I would like to read that myself. Thanks

J.Dean do you remember where you read this? I would like to read that myself. Thanks
If memory serves, I believe it was an article in an older issue of Tabletalk magazine. It's been quite awhile since I've read the quote, but I remember saying that it was one of the things that prompted me to read Institutes for myself. This was at a time when I was reading all things theological in a voracious manner and was reading several things at once (A practice I still indulge in, though not at much). I'm sorry.. I wish I could be more precise, but I hope that helps!

If you are talking about sermon prep, it would depend on the text. As a resource, I find myself using Torrey's quite a bit as well as the LBC 1689.

For me there's nothing else I really use consistently on a daily or weekly basis. It just depends on what I'm preaching, teaching, or focusing on. I refer to commentaries based on what book I'm preaching on, other texts based on what's going on in the life of our congregation or areas of personal I need to work on. There are some works I try to make a point of revisiting regularly: The Institutes, The Art of Prophesying, The Reformed Pastor are among them, but certainly not on a weekly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back