The Trinity and the Old Testament Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say no. It would be similar, I'd think, to why OT believers did not need to be baptized or participate in the Lord's Supper. It was a different administration of the Covenant of Grace, with a lower level of revelation (cf. 2 Cor 3).

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
I would say no. It would be similar, I'd think, to why OT believers did not need to be baptized or participate in the Lord's Supper. It was a different administration of the Covenant of Grace, with a lower level of revelation (cf. 2 Cor 3).

Let me play devils advocate to that. Both baptism and the Lord's Supper are clear commands in scripture. There is no specific command in the New Testament to believe in the Trinity. Now clearly the doctrine can be logically inferred from various texts of the New Testament, but coudn't the same logical conclusion be drawn from the Old Testament?

Gabe,
Do we not follow the same precept; we place the sign as they did; we place the sign on new converts, as they did. As far as the supper goes, it is a refreshed antitype of the passover-no?

The question to ask would be is the trinity a requirement that is foundational in the gospel message? Jesus is God right; one needs to have this onboard before they can be converted. That would account for the two members.

Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Exo 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

Num 24:2 And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel abiding in his tents according to their tribes; and the spirit of God came upon him.

Jdg 3:10 And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel, and went out to war:

Jdg 6:34 But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abiezer was gathered after him.

Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

I believe that the OT saint was fully aware of the trinity and it's position in the doctrine of God.

I have heard secondhand that some extra-Biblical writings of Jewish theologians prior to the incarnation of Jesus had developed a doctrine of the "plurality" within God's one-ness. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back