Which is the best edition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChapin

Puritan Board Freshman
Which is the best version of Calvin's Institutes and Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress to buy? My gf is going to get them as a present for me but she asked me which version I would like I came to you PB peps the experts.

:detective:

The "best" is a matter of taste. The standard scholarly translation of Calvin is the Battles edition published by Westminster and retailing for $80 (often discounted to $50-$60).

I prefer the older Beveridge edition CBD sells for about $15-$16.

Battles is standard for referencing (and has some good footnotes). He takes a dynamic view of Calvin's words in some places. Beveridge is a little less flashy but is newly typeset in an attractive font that I find easier to read than the Battles edition. And, Beveridge sticks a little closer to the literal words of Calvin.

Last edited:
The "best" is a matter of taste. The standard scholarly trarnslation of Calvin is the Battles edition published by Westminster and retailing for $80 (often discounted to $50-$60).

I prefer the older Beveridge edition CBD sells for about $15-$16.

Battles is standard for referencing (and has some good footnotes). He takes a dynamic view of Calvin's words in some places. Beveridge is a little less flashy but is newly typeset in an attractive font that I find easier to read than the Battles edition. And, Beveridge sticks a little closer to the literal words of Calvin.

Beveridge Edition it is then... 80 bucks :eek:

What about Bunyans book?

Re Pilgrim's Progress: I like Nimmo's 1895 version which is the version reprinted by the Banner of Truth. I like it as it contains both parts and has wide margins should you wish to make notes. The margins also contain the original marginal notes and scripture refs.

I try and read this book every second year so I have written many notes and observations in the margins. I was gutted then when an airline company lost my luggage that contained this beloved book. I was however delighted to be reunited with it later on when it was found.

The Pilgrim's Progress contained in volume 3 of Bunyan's works is also very good as it has a lengthy introduction by the editor George Offer and contains notes by various commentators.

There's also the John Allen translation of the Institutes. However, I see under Stephen's link, that Dr. David Calhoun didn't think much of that translation. Not sure where you might find the Norton translation.

There is a set of the Allen translation available on eBay at the moment (I have no stake in this listing), with a starting bid of $9.99. One bidder so far.

Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion-2vol set
Item number: 200359680034

For Pilgrim's Progress get the classic one that has the scriptures in the margin.

For the Institutes the Battles edition is mostly thought to be preferred, not necessarily the best, just preferred.

-----Added 7/9/2009 at 09:20:06 EST-----

I just ordered the Study Manual for Pilgrim's Progress and will be anxious to go through it again in this book, which has the book content on the left side and the study notes on the right side of the pages. Sounds great.

The inexpensive CBD edition (Beveridge) is the one that I am reading this time around (in book 4 now). The more expensive Battles edition ($80 retail, on sale for as low as $50) is a bit more difficult to read (for my eyes anyhow; it looks like a copy of a copy of a copy to me) than the newly typeset version of the Beveridge. I read the 2 vol. Battles in seminary back in the day when Benjamin Franklin printed them off for us just before class and we read them by candle light while listening to the sounds of the British muskets in the distance. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back