Your Eschatalogical View (Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConfederateTheocrat

Puritan Board Freshman
What are you? Vote and explain your view specifically, and your interpretation of prophecy (Historicist, Preterist, Futurist, Idealist).

I just want to see what everyones views are. :)

I am a Theonomic Postmillennialist, who is partial-preterist (but contemplating Historicism).

Theonomic Postmillennialist who is a Historicist (but contemplating partial-preterism). Actually, I dont really have a developed system of interpretation, but I do firmly believe the papacy is the Antichrist, and the man of sin (See JA Wylie's book, "The Papacy is the Antichrist"). Matt 24 I tend to see mostly fulfilled within the literal generation of Christ.

Traditional Reformed Amillennialist.

See Anthony Hoekema's "The Bible and the Future" for a full treatment.

Originally posted by Finn McCool
Theonomic/Classical Postmillennial

Can't you choose? ;)

They are very different.

Would Warfield and Bahnsen say they have the same view? :um:

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Originally posted by Finn McCool
Theonomic/Classical Postmillennial

Can't you choose? ;)

They are very different.

Would Warfield and Bahnsen say they have the same view? :um:

No, probably not. I am still semi-undecided. If I had to go now I would say theonomic, but....I am willing to give amillennialism a chance. My first intro to amillennialism came from Riddlebarger and the White Horse Inn. They seemed pessimistic at times and I decided that wasn't from me. However, Van Til was amil and believed in the triumph of the gospel. I am still reading up on this...

I lean in the "theonomic postmil" direction, but some days I'm not optimistic enough to believe it. Bahnsen's thesis needs to be modified a tad, but I support the general direction.

Full-pret and bimillenialism aren't options for folk on this board.

Originally posted by openairboy
I lean in the "theonomic postmil" direction, but some days I'm not optimistic enough to believe it. Bahnsen's thesis needs to be modified a tad, but I support the general direction.

Full-pret and bimillenialism aren't options for folk on this board.

True, but I wanted to see if there were closet heretics.

Mark,
You will soon see that the Puritan Board is staunchly orthodox in nature. Those whom resisted, i.e hid in the proverbial closet, were firmly and expediently ousted and burned or stoned accordingly.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Mark,
You will soon see that the Puritan Board is staunchly orthodox in nature. Those whom resisted, i.e hid in the proverbial closet, were firmly and expediently ousted and burned or stoned accordingly.

Good, I just hope they were publically whipped first. :pray2:

Those whom resisted, i.e hid in the proverbial closet, were firmly and expediently ousted and burned or stoned accordingly.

Or lovingly showed what the truth was and brought into repentance.:book2:

Bimillennial has got to be messed up because even the heretics (HP) reject it.

VanVos

P.S. by the way I'm a closet amillennialist

[Edited on 2-11-2004 by VanVos]

Postmil . . . because Amil is really postmil anyway . . . . .they just do not "realize" it yet . . no pun intended . .

Christ is coming back. There will be a resurrection unto life and one unto judgment. I can't wait. Other than that, I've got a lot of reading to do.:book2:

I hold to what I suppose is called "classic postmillennialism." I am optimistic about the long-term future, primarily because I believe that Christ is King and rules even now over men and nations, subduing them to Himself.

I believe the section on final judgment/eschatology in the Westminster Confession is part of the beauty and genuis of the work of the Divines. Eschatology, by definition, involves the future, and Scripture clearly teaches that "no man knows the hour" of Christ's return. The Confession is precise when it needs to be and general when that is appropriate, as it is in the doctrine of end times. The statement they crafted should be sufficient to promote unity amongst the brethren without sacrificing the truth. There were divergent views within the Assembly but they all signed on to that statement. I appreciate that about the Divines. They set a good example for us.

[Edited on 3-11-2004 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I'm amillennial (at present) but believe we can see some progress in this life, some regress also. I think I'm an idealist as well.

[Edited on 5-18-2005 by turmeric]

I'm Amil because the Postmil will see the truth when things get worse. Just joking. Besides Satan was bound when Jesus Came. The Gospel goes forth and no one can stop it. We are in the Gospel age. Jesus is the King of Kings.:judge:
For Christ's Crown and Covenant

I thought I had it figured out, but then I forgot what I was figuring out, so I guess when I get it figured out I'll let you know what my position is.

Here's a link to an "Eschatology Wrestefest" held at the TheologyWeb forum. Five views were discussed: futurism, Dispensational futurism, historicism, partial preterism, and acts 9 futurism (whatever that is.)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2BC638B9

As for me, I grew up Dispensational premill, leaned classic postmill due to RC Sproul, but now lean amill while checking out Historicism (all the reformers and most of the puritans couldn't have been all wrong could they?) (Yes, I know it's fallacious - appeal to authority or is it an ad populum?)

So there you have it: I'm a dogmatic panmillenialist (everything pans out in the end.)

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by RickyReformed]

I'm amil, kind of by default. I attended a Bible study for a while shortly after I was saved and the teacher taught from the amil perspective. This made much more sense than the dispensational stuff I was learning in the churches I attended.

The amil position is the only one I've been taught and it seems now that there's not enough time to figure out if its the best one compared to some of the other views that others believe. Trying to understand and 'wrestle with' CT seems to be higher on my priority list now.

For now, I'll label myself an amillenialist and just rest on Matthew 6:34:

Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

...besides, by the time I figure out where I stand with CT, Jesus will have returned and we'll all know which view was the most accurate.

Originally posted by blhowes
I'm amil, kind of by default. I attended a Bible study for a while shortly after I was saved and the teacher taught from the amil perspective. This made much more sense than the dispensational stuff I was learning in the churches I attended.

The amil position is the only one I've been taught and it seems now that there's not enough time to figure out if its the best one compared to some of the other views that others believe. Trying to understand and 'wrestle with' CT seems to be higher on my priority list now.

For now, I'll label myself an amillenialist and just rest on Matthew 6:34:

Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

...besides, by the time I figure out where I stand with CT, Jesus will have returned and we'll all know which view was the most accurate.

Or most bizzare..........:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back