2009 Reading List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericfromcowtown

Puritan Board Sophomore
Since the list is so short, I feel the need to preface it by stressing how little time I have to read. Between working a 12 hour day (including commute), raising a young family, and working on a correspondence course from a local university whenever I can squeeze in the time, there isn't much quiet time to read. The best that I can manage is an inconsistent 25 minutes on the train home at the end of the day.

Having said that, I have just ordered:

Don't waste your life, John Piper
The Sovereignty of God, A.W. Pink
The Christian Life, Sinclair Ferguson
Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan

There is no particular theme to my 2009 reading; these are just 4 of many books that have landed up on my "to read list" for one reason or another.

No need to apologize for short lists! Piper says that it is one of the great tragedies of our age that men read great numbers of books without understanding them. It is better to read one book, and grasp the principles it lays out, than to read a hundred and remain in ignorance. :2cents:

Some of the books I hope to (re-)read/finish, in no particular order:

Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 2
Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 3
Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 4
Beale, We Become What We Worship
Hoffecker, Revolutions in Worldview
Augustine, On Christian Doctrine
Augustine, The City of God
Aquinas, Shorter Summa
Wright, Old Testament Ethics for the People of God
Budziszewski, Written on the Heart
Arkes, First Things

May not get to them all, but I've been hoping to spend more time on ethics/natural law.

:book2:

"Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 4"

Is there really a volume 4? I have only seen the 3 volume set.

Terry

I too have litttle time for reading. At least until the school year is finished and I have all my lesson plans completed, but here is the list so far.

Christianity and Liberalism- Machen- a re-read after about 18 years
Justification- John V. Fesko. My former pastor from Geneva OPC in Woodstock, GA
Systematic Theology- Douglas Kelly- after some recommendations here

Honorable mentions on recent reads- Jesus-Made in America by Stephen Nichols and Young, Restless, and Reformed by Collin Hansen.

"Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics, vol. 4"

Is there really a volume 4? I have only seen the 3 volume set.

Terry

The fourth volume came out several months ago. Most of the Reformed booksellers sell it as a four volume set now. Reformation Heritage Books, for example, sells the four volumes for $100. BTW, the fourth volume is the Holy Spirit, Church, and New Creation.

Honorable mentions on recent reads- Jesus-Made in America by Stephen Nichols
I just finished reading this book recently (and heard the author speak on Mars Hill Audio Journal and Christ the Center). It was a good book! :up:

No need to apologize for short lists! Piper says that it is one of the great tragedies of our age that men read great numbers of books without understanding them. It is better to read one book, and grasp the principles it lays out, than to read a hundred and remain in ignorance. :2cents:

Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul. It is not the bee's touching of the flower that gathers the honey, but her abiding for a time upon the flower that draws out the sweet. It is not he that reads most, but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian.

-Thomas Brooks, Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices, p. 21, 22 (Puritan Paperbacks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back