A Bit of Wisdom from Robert E. Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
This is a quote which I've been pondering this week. We have lost and are losing so much of the Liberty that was gained for these States in the signing and outworking of the Declaration of Independence that at times it is overwhelmingly discouraging. This quote is on that hangs near me. It is written in the fly leaf of my journal.

"The march of Providence is so slow, and our desires so impatient; the work of progress is so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope."

-Robert E. Lee, shortly before his death

This is a quote which I've been pondering this week. We have lost and are losing so much of the Liberty that was gained for these States in the signing and outworking of the Declaration of Independence that at times it is overwhelmingly discouraging. This quote is on that hangs near me. It is written in the fly leaf of my journal.

"The march of Providence is so slow, and our desires so impatient; the work of progress is so immense and our means of aiding it so feeble; the life of humanity is so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often see only the ebb of the advancing wave and are thus discouraged. It is history that teaches us to hope."

-Robert E. Lee, shortly before his death

I'm not a big Lee fan (that's a different discussion!), but this quote is very wise and true.

I honestly don't know if America has produced a man of Lee's caliber since. I already have a son named Jackson, but perhaps I should work Lee into a baby name......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back