A New Dutch Systematic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I've just started reading Christian Dogmatics: An Introduction by Cornelis van der Kooi and Gijsbert van den Brink; translated from the Dutch by Reinder Bruinsma with James D. Bratt (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2017), xiv + 806 pp. Dutch original published in 2012.

The authors, van der Kooi (born in 1952) and van den Brink (born in 1963), both teach systematics at the Free University of Amsterdam.

I've just barely started it, so have no opinion on it yet. However, it looks to be good. This English translation was just published last month (May, 2017), so it's hot off the press, as it were. And the Dutch original is just five years old. So, it might give a good indication of where Dutch Reformed theology is these days. We'll see.

I've just started reading Christian Dogmatics: An Introduction by Cornelis van der Kooi and Gijsbert van den Brink; translated from the Dutch by Reinder Bruinsma with James D. Bratt (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2017), xiv + 806 pp. Dutch original published in 2012.

The authors, van der Kooi (born in 1952) and van den Brink (born in 1963), both teach systematics at the Free University of Amsterdam.

I've just barely started it, so have no opinion on it yet. However, it looks to be good. This English translation was just published last month (May, 2017), so it's hot off the press, as it were. And the Dutch original is just five years old. So, it might give a good indication of where Dutch Reformed theology is these days. We'll see.

Very interesting, please post some thoughts when you're into it enough to give them. I know van den Brink has done some work on Reformed scholasticism with van Asselt which may suggest that the work may be more closely connected to Reformed high orthodoxy than some other modern Reformed systematics, but I'm not familiar with van der Kooi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back