Joel R. Beeke's New Systematic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
But MLJ also corrects the RSV, which I think they had in their pews

From what I remember of Iain Murray's two-volume biography, I think that it was the Revised Version that they initially had in Westminster Chapel. I am nearly also sure that MLJ changed the pew Bible to the AV (probably because the RV was no longer widely circulated).
Yes they had the RV under Campbell Morgan and MLJ switched to the KJV because the Biography records that MLJ thought the KJV was a better preaching Bible.

It occurs to me that, if all four volumes are as fat as Volume 1, the entire systematic theology is going to run to more than 5,000 pages, making it, possibly, the longest ST ever published!

Maybe, after all four volumes have come out, Beeke and Smalley will provide a one-volume abridgment, a la Bavinck.

I had a look at volume 1 when I was in Evangelical Bookshop in Belfast on Tuesday. It looks good, but I need another systematic theology like Melania Trump needs another pair of shoes. :violin:

It occurs to me that, if all four volumes are as fat as Volume 1, the entire systematic theology is going to run to more than 5,000 pages, making it, possibly, the longest ST ever published!

Maybe, after all four volumes have come out, Beeke and Smalley will provide a one-volume abridgment, a la Bavinck.

In English, perhaps. Johann Gerhard, Bernardus de Moor, and Amandus Polanus all have Beeke beat by a wide margin in terms of page count. The first two are being translated, and the Gerhard already has about 13 volumes published in English now.

In English, perhaps. Johann Gerhard, Bernardus de Moor, and Amandus Polanus all have Beeke beat by a wide margin in terms of page count. The first two are being translated, and the Gerhard already has about 13 volumes published in English now.

Johann Gerhard was a Lutheran, wasn't he? If so, I presume that Concordia is translating that one.

R. M. Hurd, who has done some translation work for the Davenant Institute, is working on Amandus Polanus's ST, though I think it may have stalled a bit for the time being.

I am curious as to how they will be treating the issue of the church and ordinances, as they would come from differing perspectives on those issues.

I am curious as to how they will be treating the issue of the church and ordinances, as they would come from differing perspectives on those issues.

I guess we'll have to wait until Volume 4 to find out. The Dutch Reformed guy (Beeke) and the Reformed Baptist guy (Smalley) also have baptism to hash out in that volume.

I guess we'll have to wait until Volume 4 to find out. The Dutch Reformed guy (Beeke) and the Reformed Baptist guy (Smalley) also have baptism to hash out in that volume.
Wonder if they would give the view of Dr Beeke, and then have the reformed Baptist gave the counter point?

Wonder if they would give the view of Dr Beeke, and then have the reformed Baptist gave the counter point?
I briefly discussed this over lunch with Dr. Beeke today. As of right now, this won't be the approach. He said they haven't discussed it too in-depth as there is much ground to cover before then. He has an idea on how they may approach the topic that allows both to share their views. I believe it to be a good idea that respects our Baptist brothers and sisters. After they decide on whether or not they will go in this direction, I will let you all know more specifics.

Last edited:
I briefly discussed this over lunch with Dr. Beeke today. As of right now, this won't be the approach. He said they haven't discussed it too in-depth as there is much ground to cover before then. He has an idea on how they may approach the topic that allows both to share their views. I believe it to be a good idea that respects our Baptist brothers and sisters. After they decide on whether or not they will go in this direction, I will let you all know more specifics.

If you get a chance, you might ask him if there might be a one-volume abridgment some day, after all four volumes have been published. Also, you might inquire about him getting his Heidelberg Catechism sermons (published years ago in a sort of 3-ring binder-type format) re-edited and published as a proper set of hardback books.

If you get a chance, you might ask him if there might be a one-volume abridgment some day, after all four volumes have been published. Also, you might inquire about him getting his Heidelberg Catechism sermons (published years ago in a sort of 3-ring binder-type format) re-edited and published as a proper set of hardback books.

I will ask him about the possibility of an abridgment tomorrow. Concerning his sermons on the Heidelberg, I was talking to him last week about this. I also would like him to edit these and officially release them. As of right now, there aren't any plans to do so. Although, I intend to keep this idea fresh in his mind. We currently have a lot of major projects going on so it would be quite a while before I mention it to him again. These new projects are truly quite exciting and I can't wait to share them. All I can say now is they are truly special.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see a Theology that will flesh out just where we among those holding to Reformed doctrines agee and also disagree on.

I think this is an important point. For me, Beeke is very helpful in showing that the Dutch 2nd Reformation had esentially the same emphasis as British Puritanism.
What are the benefits and the possible detriments of holding to a 2nd reformation/Puritan experiential emphasis? Where did John Calvin fall short that such an emphasis was necessary? Or was it a response to a reality not considered in the days of Calvin? Was John Calvin derelict in any way in these areas?

Last edited:
What are the benefits and the possible detriments of holding to a 2nd reformation/Puritan experiential emphasis? Where did John Calvin fall short that such an emphasis was necessary? Or was it a response to a reality not considered in the days of Calvin? Was John Calvin derelict in any way in these areas?

It's easy to start doubting whether your experience is "real enough" or "strong enough" and to start trusting in that experience rather than in the promise of Christ.

I like Joel Beeke a lot.

I’m struggling with what he’s says about his dad being a very Godly man AND a hypercalvinist? That would be a contradiction, no?

“I was raised in a godly home, but one where salvation seemed almost impossible because of hyper-Calvinistic teachings. In this video interview, I share how the Lord convinced me of my sin and then led me to an assured faith in Jesus Christ.” http://www.joelbeeke.org/2019/03/conversations-1-how-i-became-a-christian/

From his testimony, it seems hypercalvinism tainted or informed his ‘experience’.... so how do we work through this ? Hypercalvinism seems to kinda fuel his understanding of some of these things, no? I’m just trying to see the fine line here. It would be interesting to know how he draws the line and makes the distinction because I hear some hypercalvinism in his testimony...

Also makes me think of a type of halfway covenant where if you grow up in the church your experience will not be so intense where you may begin to doubt salvation as a mere external part of form and custom of the culture in which you are raised

I’m not questioning Beeke’s salvation, I’m questioning if he is still prone to the problematic side of experiential faith in his ministry.

The life is filled with peaks and valleys as part of the right side of sanctification, which is a vital part of Christian experience and not a precondition

I mean his testimony is amazing and sincere and nobody has worked as hard as him and done so much for the reformed faith in our day. I guess God used him for the good he could bring and seemingly he left the bad instruction behind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back