A Reading Schedule for Matthew Henry's Commentary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Is there such a thing as a reading plan or schedule for getting through Henry's "Commentary" within a certain time period (say, 35 years or so - KIDDING)? It's such a vast work that it seems like such a thing would be impracticable.
 
Yes. Wayne Sparkman created one. See here.

For myself, I just read a chapter of scripture a day and Henry's accompanying commentary. It has taken a long time (I think I am four years in) but it has been greatly profitable.
 
I just started reading Matthew Henry’s commentary, though I started with Job, which I recently completed and have now moved into Psalms.

His commentary is... long-winded and easy to zone out while reading. While there are gems of insight throughout, I’ve struggled to determine if I‘m getting enough “bang for my buck” in terms of the time I’m committing to this.
 
Last edited:
Yes. Wayne Sparkman created one. See here.

For myself, I just read a chapter of scripture a day and Henry's accompanying commentary. It has taken a long time (I think I am four years in) but it has been greatly profitable.

Apparently, it's either been taken private or deleted.
 
OK, I take that "manageable" back. On May 1, for example, you read Psalms 19-23. Henry's commentary for those five psalms covers just over 15 double-column pages in my edition. I guess if you don't have a life you could do that.

Oh, well. It was a good idea while it lasted.
 
I started reading Henry along with my daily Scripture reading a number of years ago. I got through the entirety of the Old Testament in probably about two years.

While the entire thing is profitable, a much more obtainable goal would be reading through just the commentary Genesis. This teaches you to look at Scripture (and profit from it) with a new lens. I would suggest this is the primary benefit, and any additional benefit gained from reading the entire thing would be secondary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top