Acts 2:1; where does Beza discuss this variant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a question for Greek scholars (not me), the Westminster assembly in contending with the congregationalist members adduce Acts 2:1, and say the following:
Reason 2. ‘But afterwards (Acts 2:1) another meeting of theirs is expressed in the same words, “They were all met with one accord,”’ etc.
To which we answer still, that it is not proved that they all there mentioned were “all the church.” Beza said that in two ancient copies he finds tô Apostolô, and brings probable reasons why they “all” should be meant of the apostles only.
In what work would Beza discuss this? I have looked at Annotationes, and though I don't really read Latin, that didn't look like it. The Greek is not given for the alternate at least. Does Beza have a commentary on the book of Acts? Also, the transliteration may be off. Below is the text of the Greek.
View attachment 2201

In the critical apparatus for the UBS GNT (2d ed., Aland & Black), there are no variants shown for verse 1.

That would lead me to think that Beza is either referring to a very obscure variant, or more likely, that he had in mind some commentary.

Or perhaps a Bible with annotations. Here is the Geneva Bible on Acts 1:26-2:1

26 Then they gave forth their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias, and he was by a common consent counted with the eleven Apostles.

Acts 2
2 The Apostles 4 filled with the holy Ghost 8 speak with divers tongues; 12 They are thought to be drunk, 15 but Peter disproveth that. 34 He teacheth that Christ is Messiah; 37 And seeing the hearers astonied, 38 he exhorteth them to repentance.

1 And (1) when the (*) day of Pentecost was (a) come, they were (b) (♣) all with one accord in one place.

(1) The Apostles being gathered together on a most solemn feast day in one place, that it might evidently appear to all the world, that they had all one office, one Spirit, one faith, are by a double sign from heaven authorized, and anointed with all the most excellent gifts of the holy Ghost and especially with an extraordinary and necessary gift of tongues.
(*) The holy Ghost was sent when much people was assembled in Jerusalem at the feast, Exodus 23:16; Leviticus 23:16; Deuteronomy 16:9; because the thing might not only be known there, but also through the world. (a) Word for word, was fulfilled; that is, was begun, as Luke 2:21 . For the Hebrews say that a day, or a year is fulfilled or ended, when the former days or years are ended, and the other begun; Jeremiah 25:12 . And it shall come to pass, that when seventy years are fulfilled, I will visit, etc. For the Lord did not bring home his people after the seventieth year was ended, but in the seventieth year; Now the day of Pentecost was the fiftieth day after the feast of the Passover. (b) The twelve Apostles, which were to be the Patriarchs as it were of the Church.
(♣) That is, the Apostles.

Chris, my guess is you looked at a printing which only has the short annotations, and not the longer comments. When he gets to the "omnes" in his text, he states that two older manuscripts had "hoi apostoloi" added, and he notes that such would, at least, cohere with the end of the previous chapter. If you want to look up an exact reference, you'll find it addressed in the text which begins with "in duobus vetustis codicibus additum est...". I looked it up in the 1642 printing of his NT, but I'm sure the text will be the same in other editions.

Many thanks Paul; I knew that once but get confused with all the editions. Is there something funky going on with the st in apostoloi? A two letter combo maybe for the Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back