Originally posted by Archlute
Mark,
You should probably explain what you mean by the Reformed dropping the ball "big time" with the EO, and what exactly has been dropped.
I´ll just say what I have said in other threads:
Reformed people think our apologetics against Roman Catholicism is good enough to refute Eastern Orthodoxy. This couldn't be farther from the truth. We NEED to start writing literature that deals with Eastern Orthodoxy in the same way Reformers wrote literature to deal with Roman Catholicism. Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholcism are NOT the same thing.
There was a debate here in Edmonton between a Reformed univeristy Chaplain (Dutch Reformed) and an Eastern Orthodox monk. Needless to say, the Reformer got his touche handed to him on a platter.
Listen to James White's debates against Roman Catholicism. Almost all of his points don't apply to the Eastern Orthodox.
*In response to someone asking if I had read "œThree Views on Eastern Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism"* Yeah, I own it. It's not really the best book there is. But then again, I got it the day it came out and at that time I was still struggling with Reformed theology. So maybe Horton's essay really wasn't as bad as I thought it was back then. Maybe it's good. I should read it again.
The really crappy thing about the book is that Bradley Nassif writes the best essay, except he thinks we are compatible.
On the positive note, at least somebody got off there touche and realized we needed a book like it!
*in response to the tug of Eastern Orthodoxy* This is probably one of the reasons why I wish there was more from a Reformed perspective on this topic. There is still a tug because while the Reformed make the most positive case (it is
cleary the most
Biblical and the most consistent with the Gospel) it has dropped the ball and has made no real effort to make a negative case for the EO. Thus, the EO gets to make its case without any opposition and one is left with that unfortunate tug.
And my favourite phrase so far:
Reading Reformed people on the RCC I'd have to be a complete unregenerate moron to leave Reformation theology and go to Rome. Reading Reformed people on the EO I'd just have to be unregenerate

*clarification: to go to Constantinople*