Always Abusing Semper Reformanda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was unaware that mainline churches use semper reformanda to defend constant changes to the church so that it fits changes to culture. I can see why they might, and I don't doubt that it's true, and I certainly agree it is a bad way to think... but this wasn't on my radar.

Rather, I've seen semper reformanda used in godly churches to suggest that the church needs constantly to examine its life for sin and to practice repeated repentance—not changes in what we affirm to be true, but constant changes in life because we tend to stray from what is true. That may not be the original intent of the phrase or even a sensible interpretation of it, but it's how I've heard it used. And that principle (always reforming life back toward what is true) seems sound.
 
As I noted in my comment on the article "Semper Reformanda..." use was ubiquitous in mainline circles, when I was still in them. It led all the arguments I heard at the PC(USA) seminary I attended and every discussion at Presbytery.

It was their attempt to pretend they were still part of the "trajectory" of the Reformation.
 
I've seen it used in the rather poor "debate" that was held in the Free Church a few years back re permitting sessions to introduce hymns and musical instruments.
 
As I noted in my comment on the article. "Semper Reformanda..." use was ubiquitous in mainline circles, when I was still in them. It led all the arguments I heard at the PC(USA) seminary I attended and every discussion a Presbytery.

No doubt. I just find the difference interesting, and a reminder to find out what people mean rather than make assumptions based on a phrase they use.
 
My experience has been that the phrase is used interchangeably with "always evolving" or when the Church has long believed or practiced something it is used as an easy hand wave instead of really figuring out "why?"
 
It seems the mainline denominations are not interested in always reforming.....they just sort of seem to get lackadaisical about doctrine and slide into whatever the beliefs of the culture are and wither and slowly die like the PCUSA. Semper Reformanda doesn't seem the problem...doctrinal "downgrade" or forgetting one's doctrinal moorings through neglect seems the story of the church.
 
Thanks for the citation of the article. I agree that mainliners love to use it as their excuse for justifying any fool new idea.

My seeker-sensitive evangelical pastor son uses it as a reproach for confessional Reformed and Lutheran groups not "going along" with the seeker sensitive techniques and agenda. He loves to toss it at me with a wry smile on his face because my denomination is not evolved enough.

I had a coffee mug made with the oft-cited quote from Francis Pieper (not original to him and included in Muller's "Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological Terms") that should be used to counter facile invocations of "semper reformanda": "Quod non est biblicum, non est theologicum."
 
Some tend to take the "Always Reforming" bit to mean always changing to cater to every whim, social trends, etc., versus its original meaning of always being ready to reform teaching, doctrine, practice per increased understanding of Holy Writ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top