"... and Peter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings, fellow saints,

My title, "...and Peter," is a brief but powerful thought I had during my devotions this morning as I considered the verse that this phrase is found in. Many of you will already know what I am talking about. But in this brief devotional, I'm hoping that someone who needs it may be encouraged.

The passage, of course, is found in the last chapter of Mark. Although Mark is given as the author, it is believed that this is primarily the work of the Apostle Peter. There is internal as well as traditional evidence for this. Here's the passage.

Mark 16:6,7
And he [the angel in the white robe that spoke the women from Jesus' empty tomb] said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.”

As I read these two simple words, "and Peter," I was instantly overcome with awe and praise to God, with raised hands, heart, and teary eyes, whose unchanging love caused him to send his beloved Son as our Redeemer, and for the fallen, soul darkened, Peter, restorer of the broken-hearted. Jesus demonstrates here that he not only loves the Sheep, but he calls each one by name. That's your name. That's my name. Oh, How He Loves Us.

Then, as quickly as my thoughts went to Peter and his Lord's love, I switched gears and went to my next scheduled reading in Second Chronicles.

Psalm 37:23‭-‬24​
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: And he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: For the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

I know!! The love of God in Christ for his more than just flawed people. His tender solicitation in naming Peter specifically. Can you imagine Peter's heart when he was told the Lord had singled him out like this.

I can't imaging the remorse Peter would have been going through as well, having denied Christ 3 times, called out on it and it come to pass. Then as you folks mentioned, him called by name. I can't imagine the tears of joy he must have shed.

Can you imagine Peter's heart when he was told the Lord had singled him out like this.

As my wife and I talked about what I wrote, I remembered that this was just the beginning of Peters's restoration. As far as I remember, the last thing we hear about how Peter felt when coming face to face with his sin was that "he went out, and wept bitterly." (Luke 22:62, Matthew 26:75) Given the final restoration in John 21:15-19, Peter may have been so crushed that he was close to suicide. Who knows? I don't know if we can date the passage in John 21, but it could have been as long as 40 days after the "look."

Who knows the depths (Psalm 130) Peter sunk to when the "Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, (Revelation 2:18; 1:4; 19:12) "turned and looked at Peter." (Luke 22:61)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back