Any current RTS Jackson students out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the OPC has taken a courageous stand on the literal view. Good for them!

That's not correct. The OPC allows other views too, very similar to the PCA.

I stand corrected, Patrick! I apologize for that.

-----Added 11/23/2009 at 01:41:05 EST-----

Patrick- Does that mean you are a supporter of the framework view?

Absolutely not. I think it's rubbish. I was just clarifying that the OPC doesn't have a uniform view on the matter.

Relieved to hear, Patrick! I was worried for a moment. How common is the framework view in the OPC?

Josh Walker and Thomas Graves are current students at RTS Jackson. They are members here but do not post. :) But look them up, I'm sure you can make fast friends with them.

-----Added 11/23/2009 at 02:27:08 EST-----

Oh, I forgot to add Thomas's and Josh's screen name on here.

Here's Thomas: thomasjg
Here's Josh: johnny_redeemed

Relieved to hear, Patrick! I was worried for a moment. How common is the framework view in the OPC?

I don't know if anyone has taken an official poll. But there have been several OPC voices behind all the major views in the Reformed world. Kline was OPC. EJ Young was OPC, but he argued for the analogical day view. Machen allegedly was a day-age guy. And there have been traditional guys too.

Josh Walker and Thomas Graves are current students at RTS Jackson. They are members here but do not post. :) But look them up, I'm sure you can make fast friends with them.

Thanks, Nikki!
How do you know them if they do not post?

-----Added 11/23/2009 at 02:49:41 EST-----

Alan, you support the non-literal "framework" view?

No, I support the literal framework view.

Alan-I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding! I guess you were referring to Miles' biblical theology and/or canon perspectives then?

How does a leading Hebrew professor not take a literal view of creation? I do not see how that comes about. Wouldn't his knowledge of Hebrew confirm the literal view? That is how John Currid explains his literal view of creation, from hebrew linguistic knowledge. Any explanation?

Thanks, Nikki!
How do you know them if they do not post?

Met them both in a Christian chat room ages ago :). However Josh is from Arizona and he connected me with RUF here in Tucson. :) I know Thomas a little bit better since we both set up a chatroom for reformed folk some time ago. He is a deacon at his local PCA church and is probably one of the most awesome people ever! :pilgrim:

I hold to literal 24/6 day creation, and gladly took my Gen-Dt and as many OT classes from Dr. Currid while he was still there.

How does a Hebrew professor hold to framework or non-literal 6 day view? An over emphasis on Biblical Theology and being heavily influenced by Kline.

Thanks, Fred! I appreciate your opinion. Miles gave me the same exact advice. Prioritize the language study and it makes everything else easier. Can I contact you privately for further questions?

-----Added 11/21/2009 at 08:08:07 EST-----

Kevin-
So Miles likes donuts.....What is a "framework guy"?, pardon my ignorence!

Sorry for the late reply. Who does not like donuts? heheheh

Miles is a very personable guy. You will like him very much. He is a formidable language scholar, but somehow makes the drudgery of memorizing and parsing enjoyable.

He's also a big Meredith Kline fan. Kline made the Framework theory popular, and Miles bought into it while sitting at Kline's feet. It is essentially a non-literal view of Genesis 1-2 that sees the accounts as being "semi-poetic," whatever that means, and therefore open to more interpretive license as to the lenght of the days of Creation.

I used to sit in his office and blow holes in the theory while chatting with him. But hey, I was getting A's. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back