Any mechanics out there in PB land???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnpreacher

Puritan Board Junior
My 2000 Dodge Dakota won't start. I changed the ignition coil because that's what everyone I asked told me to do, and of course it still didn't start. I am getting a "no bus" fault code appearing in my odometer display. I've read this could be a computer problem. Anyone ever hear of this??? Any help would be appreciated.

Found the following here:

"No bus" means the communication system is down. These trucks have what is called a "can bus system", which consist of two wires that connect each module together through the front control module. If these wires are shorted, open, or grounded than it disrupts the communication. If the pcm cannot communicate to the skim module it doesn't know if the correct key is in the ignition, so it disables fuel. This system can be very difficult to diagnose, and it would probably be alot cheaper to take it to a dealer with a factory trained electrical master, than to guess.

Most of the info I'm finding is saying to take the truck to a dealer. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it might be the quickest way to have your truck diagnosed.

Found the following here:

"No bus" means the communication system is down. These trucks have what is called a "can bus system", which consist of two wires that connect each module together through the front control module. If these wires are shorted, open, or grounded than it disrupts the communication. If the pcm cannot communicate to the skim module it doesn't know if the correct key is in the ignition, so it disables fuel. This system can be very difficult to diagnose, and it would probably be alot cheaper to take it to a dealer with a factory trained electrical master, than to guess.

Most of the info I'm finding is saying to take the truck to a dealer. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it might be the quickest way to have your truck diagnosed.

I think you're right. I'm definitely no mechanic, so this is probably going to be my best bet. Unfortunately I'll have to have it towed in and my insurance won't cover it because I don't have full coverage on my truck since I just use it to read meters. Oh well. Soli Deo Gloria!

Also, have you tried the on-board computer diagnosis? I've got a 2003 Dodge Neon, and have used the on-board computer several times when the check engine light comes on.

To access the error codes from your truck's computer insert the key into the ignition and turn it to: ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON and then watch the odometer. A code beginning with "P" should appear.

You can look here for what the code means: 2004 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep Computer Error Codes

Also, have you tried the on-board computer diagnosis? I've got a 2003 Dodge Neon, and have used the on-board computer several times when the check engine light comes on.

To access the error codes from your truck's computer insert the key into the ignition and turn it to: ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON and then watch the odometer. A code beginning with "P" should appear.

You can look here for what the code means: 2004 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep Computer Error Codes

Still just getting the "no bus" fault code. I give up. I've been fooling with this truck for 2 nights now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back