Anyone keep an Aquarium???

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

Puritan Board Sophomore
I am starting an aquarium after being out of the hobby for thirty years.
I have noticed a few changes in aquaria (where have all the undergravel filters gone???)

I have brought a cheap six foot tank and I am looking at filling it with freshwater friendlies.

So just wondering if anyone keeps fish and what kinds do you keep ect,,,
 
African Cichlids

Look into African Cichlids. They are really neat fish with lots of character. I had a 40 gallon tank with about 10 to 12 fish on average for about ten years. (Until the tank sprung a leak) But you will probably want only Cichlids if you go that route because of their aggressive nature, PH (about 8.5±) and temperature requirements. If kept well they will breed. They are territorial and like lots of hiding places. I used flat limestone rocks to build hiding places and to keep the PH up. There’s lots of info on the web about them. I also had one Plecostomus that grew to about 15 inches. He was fun too.

Ed
 
We've had as many as four tanks going in our house. Cichlids make a lovely specialty tank but be prepared for aggression and for a need for large spaces. (Most need at least 75 gallons.)

If you're looking for "friendlies" the live-bearers are fun. We have "Mickey Mouse" platies of all sizes and ages. Cardinal tetras make a lovely schooling fish. (Their close cousins the neons can be harder to keep as they like a tank temperature that differs from most community fish.) Some house-keeping fish are helpful and can be quite entertaining. A pleco (the bristle-nose stays smaller) and a few cory cat fish are standards for us. I love khulie loaches, but they've become hard to find here. The botia loaches are interesting, but be sure of what you're getting -- some species can get quite large and most are at minimum somewhat aggressive.

The internet can be your new best friend as a fish keeper -- if you see something interesting in a fish store, check the fish online to verify its care and compatibility. You can hear a lot of nonsense in a fish store, so beware.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top