Apostles Creed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I was listening to a sermon and it was pointed out that the Apostles Creed mentions 5 people (Father, Son, Spirit, Mary and Pilate). I get the significance of the first 4 but was there something theological that was the reason for mentioning Pilate? I get the suffering as a fulfillment of prophecy but saying "suffered by the hands of Roman soldiers" would show fulfillment as well. So is there a specific reason for mentioning Pilate specifically?


Just thinking as I prepare for tomorrow.
 
And someone told me it points out that the state, as well as the church, condemned Jesus Christ to death. Not sure how to draw out the significance of that.

Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 15, Q. 38 for a reference
 
Last edited:
Mentioning Pontius Pilate by name anchors the events of the crucifixion to a specific time and place in history.
Yep. To a skeptic, the first 3 are [insert deity/deities' names here], Mary could be mythological (think Hercules' mother), but adding Pilate means you've got a direct and falsifiable historical link outside the religious community.
 
And someone told me it points out that the state, as well as the church, condemned Jesus Christ to death. Not sure how to draw out the significance of that.

Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 15, Q. 38 for a reference
Yes, we declare that Christ was sentenced to death under state authority. Would it be fair to affirm that this being under real legal authority (John 19:11) shows the validity of His being condemned in our place as one under the law (c.f. Deuteronomy 21:23)?
 
Yes, we declare that Christ was sentenced to death under state authority. Would it be fair to affirm that this being under real legal authority (John 19:11) shows the validity of His being condemned in our place as one under the law (c.f. Deuteronomy 21:23)?
Very interesting, I'll think about that.

One other thought I had about this point is that Christians persecuted by the state even have a sympathetic advocate in heaven, since Christ was also persecuted by the state. But that's more a pastoral, practical point, I guess?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top