Are we too comfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bultitude

Puritan Board Freshman
When I read old accounts of martyrdom, or even current ones, I marvel at how much they scorned death. Read the Martyrdom of Polycarp, for instance. A man who eagerly wished to be united to Christ in death, and to make a spectacle of death as Christ had done.

I don't think I see much of that in the modern western church. We're exhorted in Scripture that since Christ has conquered death, we no longer need to fear it. Have we accidentally regained this fear of death? Or were we never fully cured of it?

Or are we merely too comfortable with our present situations? If I'm living the upper middle class suburban life, why should I seek to uproot my life by taking a risk for the Gospel? (And by risk I don't mean a risk of being shunned by my coworkers.)

Or perhaps, do we see ourselves as too valuable? Especially those of us with higher degrees, we may think it's best to leave the footwork of the Gospel to the expendable footmen while we do the precious thinking that will keep the Gospel alive.

I don't wish to project, so I'm aware that these accusations (if that's the right word) may not apply to you in particular. I think I recognize a mixture of each in my own heart, however, and I doubt I'm alone. But what I don't know as well, is what to do about it. It's easy, after all, to say, "Well I'll just jump in and take a risk!" for its own sake, and end up making a mess of things in some third-world country in order to feel better about ourselves (or rashly throw away our lives). But it's also all too easy, when the opportunity for genuine and necessary missions present themselves, to say dismissively, "That's not my calling."

I suppose the way to avoid these extremes is to persevere in prayer. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I still worry a tad that I might continue pursuing comfort at the expense of the Kingdom.

[Edit: Of course, saying "at the expense of the Kingdom" kind of implies that God "needs" me, doesn't it? Another false assumption. :p]

Last edited:
You raise a good point and I think there are elements of truth in each of the scenarios that you raised. I think for American Christians a large part is not wanting the "world" to hate us even though that's what Christ said would happen. I think also that we essentially live in an economic bubble and are not exposed to the same physical dangers of being a Christian than say the persecuted church in central Africa is having right now or in the middle east. I do think we need to set the best example in the vocation and place where God has placed us.

Something to think about: I heard on the Compassion Radio show, on Christian radio, Norm Nelson talking to a pastor from the Middle East / North Africa region. Christians are being persecuted there, and when they are baptized risk the possibility of being shot. The pastor related how people came to be baptized, and he would tell them of the risk; their reply was "then we will be with Jesus".

In the last 12 months he baptized 11 people; 10 were subsequently shot and killed.

And we have a hard time deciding which bible to pull off the shelf. May we always have the martyrs in mind.

Yes, but: there was a tendency in the early days of the church for folks to deliberately seek out persecution and martyrdom. The Bible doesn't teach us that we should do this (Paul used his Roman citizenship to escape persecution, and did not object when some people found a way for him to escape being persecuted by being let down the outside of a wall in a basket.) If persecution legitimately comes, then we have an obligation to face it. But we are not required to actively go around seeking it, like some of those early people did (not saying that Polycarp was one of those).

When in the Middle East, I taught both South Sudanese (while in Africa) and former Muslims / or Christians from Muslim countries (while in Cyprus) we need to know not only to live well but to die well. Some of them may already have gone Home to Him.

Although some do not like the idea, we may well have our own opportunity here in the West not far off. Things can change very suddenly, for God is at the helm. It is important to be prepared – especially spiritually for hard times, and to support our brethren in foreign lands who are undergoing them now with both prayer and help.

Our primary battle at this time is against the intoxicating wine of Babylon, which causes men to love the world and spend time with it more than God.

I suppose, just to add some counter perspective, that we comfortable westerners ought to consider the very real dangers that surround us daily. We don't necessarily need to uproot ourselves to be exposed to high-stakes life. It is right here and we are all too inclined to ignore it.

I think if we had even an inkling of what buffets us spiritually on a daily basis, we'd have fear enough to put on God's armor immediately.

Also, putting all things in a historical perspective, there certainly has been violent persecution in the church, but the most dangerous periods for the church seem to be times of relative peace.

We are commonly confronted with our comfort in contrast to lack thereof around us. When we first came here in 1994, almost all the church leaders were ex-convicts, having served time for being Christians during the communist era ('74-'91). There is a rich oral history of people living with persecution, enduring, and coming through victorious. A neighbor of ours, in his 90's, is currently unhappy because his son won't let him travel south to the very primitive areas near the Kenya border, to evangelize. Once in a while he disappears anyway. Everyone knows where to find him. He disappeared one time, just before he was to appear before the president of the country to receive a prestigious award. Folks needed to go look for him. Once every year or two we learn of local evangelists who are martyred when serving in tribal areas to the south. Sometimes there are supernatural deliverances, sometimes not.

I think some of attitude towards death is a result of unbelief on our part, not that we are all unsaved or anything but some of it can be chalked up to our lack maturity while some of it can be chalked up to the fact that there are tares amongst the wheat.

Just to elaborate on what VictorBravo said, the real dangers that surround us in western civilization is the comfort that we have become accustomed to. We need to be aware that at any moment the tables can be turned, and in fact they are being turned against the Biblical propagation of the gospel, as we point out sin and the need of a Saviour. We are starting to be labeled as bigots and hate mongers which in turn will upset our little middle class lives. We must be ready and willing to stand boldly for the truth regardless of what it costs us. Lord help us as persecution is coming faster than we expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose, just to add some counter perspective, that we comfortable westerners ought to consider the very real dangers that surround us daily. We don't necessarily need to uproot ourselves to be exposed to high-stakes life. It is right here and we are all too inclined to ignore it.

That's a very good point. What do you think we can start doing to gain a better appreciation for it?

Also, putting all things in a historical perspective, there certainly has been violent persecution in the church, but the most dangerous periods for the church seem to be times of relative peace.

Also a good point. So in these times of comfort and peace, we need to be all the more vigilant for truth.

The old church leaders, those who survived the entire communist era, are currently praying FOR persecution for the church, because of they corruption they see here, in the local church, after 22 years of peace. They are also praying FOR persecution for the American church, as they perceive the corruption in the lives of Americans who come here for ministry.

I've been following some of the websites that watch the progress of the Religion of Peace: Mahdi watch and Jihad watch. I think their prayers may be answered within our lifetimes.

Not everyone find the comforts of this life to be so comforting. Before I got my degree, I was very poor and virtually owned nothing. But neither was I responsible for a great deal of things that overwhelms a single woman most of the time (men are far more capable in these matters than women). Now that my economy has risen, so have the responsibilities which bring worrisomeness.

If God snatched all my "comforts" and responsibilities that come with those comforts away from me to send me under the guidance and instructions of someone over me to spread the Gospel, I shouldn't think I would mind so much for the loss of them. So for me it isn't the comforts of life that hold me back from spreading the Gospel.

However, I do have to consider why I am not doing all I can to spread the Gospel. I know I'm not. Yes, I pray for His kingdom to increase both in myself and His children so that we might be a shining light in a world of darkness which is the first act one should take and is something everyone does, but I can honestly say I don't actively, in speech or deed, spread the Gospel.

I don't believe God will allow us to linger in delinquency of spreading His Gospel. He is a faithful God to His will and Kingdom, and whatever He decides is our part in furthering it He will lead us to it. He is a changer of hearts, minds, and wills. His grace upon us shines brightly and that grace will lead us into a hunger for spreading the Gospel. He has all things planned out according to His will and nothing will stop His will upon our lives.

Last edited:
Are we too comfortable? It is a good question. At first glance it might appear as if we are. In the modern world we have many blessings that previous generations did not have: a relative absence of disease, good healthcare, reduced infant mortality, and so on. Yet at the same time many Christians in the Western world suffer greatly from the stresses of modern society (especially mental illness) and from the temptations to error brought about by false teaching in the Christian world.

So, are we too comfortable? I am not sure, as I cannot speak for everyone. As to martyrdom, nobody in their right mind would prefer to be put to death rather than to live if they could possibly avoid it without sinning. If, however, we were in a situation in which believers were being killed all the day long for the cause of the Lord Jesus Christ, I would hope that God would give me the grace to love not my life unto death. At present, all I can say is that I have an idolatrous love of comfort which I need to seek grace to mortify. Lane's post on a similar subject was a timely and pointed rebuke of my idolatry in this respect: Illness and Assurance | Green Baggins

I suppose it's just a reflection of what an opiate Middle class culture in America has become. Its always been interesting that persecution strengthens the Church far more that success. The tragedy is that America needs revolutionary change, Theological, spiritual, political and moral. That change will have to arise from the middle class, the poor lack the education and are mesmerized by the pop. culture and the welfare state. But the average middle class American is so determine to hang on to his Middle-class lifestyle, cable tv, sports, two cars in the garage, dancing with the stars way of life that he will sacrifice both liberty and Church whether than see it endangered. That is why the Church (however broadly or narrowly you choose to define it) has no influence in our society, and why so many in the Church are slowly accommodating themselves to phenomenon like homosexuality and evolution. While I'm not sure its appropriate to pray for persecution, I certainly don't believe it could hurt. It might serve as a slap in the face to American Christendom.

Why do we think outside persecution is needed when we are our own persecutors? We fight against God's will daily and we don't see it as persecution against ourselves. Our own sin persecutes us. How are we to endure outside persecution and think IT is the thing that will bring us closer to God and His will when we refuse to look upon those things God brings into our lives as instruments in bringing us closer to Him? To really learn from those things and never see them as insignificant.

He knows our situations whether here in the free world or over in countries which are not free. He puts upon His people that which pleases Him to further His kingdom. Small or large persecutory influences are neither here nor there. To look for some influence which will turn our hearts into a deeper situation of loving God more than ourselves, I believe, is to doubt His ability to bring forth His kingdom according to His own good pleasure.

I don't think it is right for others to pray for persecution or freedom to come to His people. The only right prayer for which we are to pray is for His will to be done and His mercy and grace which will allow us to embrace His will no matter what it is in the end.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But sometimes I think we swallow the whole of the camel when a morsel of it would have done the trick had we paid attention. The only thing God tells us to do about persecution is to remember those who are in chains (have we done that well I wonder), He doesn't command that we pray for persecution, because He knows our needs……all of them.

Do we really take advantage of all the trials and blessings God puts into our lives which further His kingdom? Can't we start with those things God has put into our lives before praying for outside persecution on ourselves or others? I'm not trying to sound harsh as I'm quite sure most here take better advantage of the things God has put in their lives than I do.

The men's bible study at my church is studying the gospel of John, about 2 verses a week! :) One of the things that struck me doing this weeks study was that God has chosen this time, and the relative places for us to live. We are inter-advent people. Not OT people, not present during Christ's first advent nor shortly after it - but here we are with 2000+ years of apostolic church heritage. Christ came to save the lost - He left the mission in our hands. We are part of the cycle of God's faithfulness from generation to generation spoken of in Psalm 22 are we not?

I struck me also that we (well I) am far to complacent. Far to relaxed about spreading the good news. Far to inclined to sit back and be personally satisfied with all that the church has to offer in terms of comfort and blessing.

But of any peoples so far in this history of the world - surely we have been given the most & therefore more is expected of us than has ever been expected of any that have gone before us? As for me, and several of the men at study this week, we determined that it was time to start behaving more like a soldier for Christ and less a consumer of church services and programs.

Last edited:
To me, after thinking about it, Satan is equally at work in all cultures. His main aim at taking down as many as he can. Some get sung to them sweet lullabyes, others peril and threat of life. All ultimately with the same end in design, to separate us from God.

Satan can not separate God's elect from Him. However, he can get us wrapped up in all sorts of nonsense that renders our witness extremely compromised, and our relationship less than the desired sonship.

One phrase I'm trying to wrap my mind around, in this thread is "middle class". There are a lot of "working class"/relatively poor people in this country, who are part of the Reformed Church. Are we talking about people with six figure income who have multiple servants cleaning and landscaping for them? Are we talking about white collar career people with an extensive stock portfolio? Compared to some countries, someone living in non-subsidized housing who has food, several changes of clothes, running water & central heating are "middle class".

Middle class has become a very nebulous term in America. To the conservatives middle class is defined so broadly that it includes millionaires, to the liberals it essentially means anyone neither on welfare or conspicuously wealthy. I would define myself as part of the "working poor", although I grew up in the old middle class which comprised people who were in the median income.

Besides what others have readily stated here (accommodation to the world, creature comforts, etc.), I think this leads to the logical conclusion sin that everyone is paying very little attention to these days: cowardice.

I find it interesting that in Rev. 21:8, the first sin mentioned is cowardice. All the other typical rogues' gallery sins which we are all accustomed to - e.g. idolatry, sexual immorality - are listed, but it has always intrigued me that cowardice is the first listed.

In all of my 32 years as a believer, I have never heard a sermon solely focused on cowardice - either in person, in print, in video, or in audio. (Otto Scott had a 5 part series on cowardice many years ago, but it dealt mainly with political cowardice, of which he saw and which still persists to this day.)

There are many reasons for cowardice, many described in this thread, and cowardice is simply an outcome from a comfortable lifestyle that is threatened in any way, shape, or form. It is a serious calamity with Christians in this nation, myself included at times, and it is something we must be constantly on guard for.

Besides what others have readily stated here (accommodation to the world, creature comforts, etc.), I think this leads to the logical conclusion sin that everyone is paying very little attention to these days: cowardice.

I find it interesting that in Rev. 21:8, the first sin mentioned is cowardice. All the other typical rogues' gallery sins which we are all accustomed to - e.g. idolatry, sexual immorality - are listed, but it has always intrigued me that cowardice is the first listed.

In all of my 32 years as a believer, I have never heard a sermon solely focused on cowardice - either in person, in print, in video, or in audio. (Otto Scott had a 5 part series on cowardice many years ago, but it dealt mainly with political cowardice, of which he saw and which still persists to this day.)

There are many reasons for cowardice, many described in this thread, and cowardice is simply an outcome from a comfortable lifestyle that is threatened in any way, shape, or form. It is a serious calamity with Christians in this nation, myself included at times, and it is something we must be constantly on guard for.

Couldn't cowardice be from lack of knowledge/training? Unless someone is instructed and tested, how can they be bold in expressing their faith with no understanding. I realize that ultimately the Holy Spirit will embolden someone to speak the right thing at the right time, but how can one boldly speak about what they do not know?

Cowardice, hiding the light we have from others. Yeah for sure I am guilty of that at times. My problem was that years ago when I first was saved I was in a Charismatic church and would go overboard. How can one go overboard talking about Jesus, me anyway? Sometimes I cast the pearl before the swine, acted like a fool from my Charismatic beliefs telling others the wrong things doctrinally. These days I pick my moments more carefully and hope Im a bit wiser but will admit that at times I have gutted out, to my shame. Staying in the "comfort zone".

Judging from the numerous complaints of Christians it appears they are not comfortable enough.

It is not normal to seek discomfort. When a person adopts an abnormal approach to life it tends towards abnormal behaviour. For example, how does one give thanks to God for comforts he believes he should not have? How does one share those comforts with others?

The normal Christian attitude is better reflected in 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God."

Certainly, we should find comfort and joy in God. But isn't it possible to find too much comfort and satisfaction in blessings if we don't look beyond those blessings to the blesser? If I'm happy and content in my well-insured air-conditioned home, I may not stop and remember the Creator, and if that's the case, I won't be motivated to think of those with fewer blessings. I can become very self-focused very fast when I'm living in ease.

And certainly, seeking discomfort is abnormal. But is there anything normal about the Gospel? Are we called to normality? The cross is scandal, our lives bear witness to its foolishness, and if the testimony were false then we are to be "most pitied." How could that be true if we were living as the world lives?

And obviously, seeking discomfort for its own sake is ridiculous. That's the error of self-flagellation, among other things. It only serves to, again, be self-focused and feed our martyr complexes and holier-than-thou attitudes.

I do appreciate the pushback though. I wonder if we're not actually saying much the same thing. As I say, discomfort for its own sake is immoral and dangerous. And if we're not empowered and comforted by Christ, "through whom I can do all things," then we're most definitely missing the point. So perhaps the terminology of "too comfortable" can be misleading? But my point is about where and how we're seeking comfort. Answering the call of the Gospel will be difficult [-]at first[/-] all the time -- hence why so many people refer to it as "moving out of my comfort zone." And in that sense I think that my terminology, while imprecise, is probably not misleading to most people. But I don't want to discount the Spirit's role as our comforter by any means. Lord forgive me when I do.

And certainly, seeking discomfort is abnormal. But is there anything normal about the Gospel?

The Gospel offers reconciliation with God. It does not promise wealth nor require poverty. Kind providence dispenses temporal blessings to us. Reconciled to God in Christ, whatever our temporal blessings, they are all ours in Christ. Apart from this, the Gospel itself has no bearing on the subject.

I am not sure why it is believed a person cannot be content and joy in God when he is temporally at ease. It seems to me that "joy" in that instance must be wrapped up with some kind of cultural expression. In that case I would say that a person needs to learn how to abound.

I am not sure why it is believed a person cannot be content and joy in God when he is temporally at ease.

It was never my intent to say it's impossible. I know I implied that it's less likely, and maybe I erred in doing so. But that seems to me to be an accurate reading of Scripture. The rich fool comes to mind, as does the admonition to be "poor in spirit." Obviously to say that that's all that poverty of spirit entails would be a gross oversimplification, but I think part of it is a willingness to be materially poor. Not an insistence, mind you, but a willingness. When it comes to money, wealth, power, fame, status, etc., I think the question is not so much "Do you have it?" but rather 1) "How are you using it?" and 2) "What would it do to you if it were taken away?" It's question 2 in particular that I think too many of us never are forced to face, and thus never face it at all. Am I finding comfort in Christ alone, or in Christ and my cushy job?

It seems to me that "joy" in that instance must be wrapped up with some kind of cultural expression. In that case I would say that a person needs to learn how to abound.

Could you expound on learning how to abound? (And keep pushing back, please. At the very least you're forcing me to define my terms, and in the words of Ben Franklin, "Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.")

but rather 1) "How are you using it?" and 2) "What would it do to you if it were taken away?"

The first is moral; we have a responsibility with regard to what God has been pleased to bestow. The second is hypothetical; we trust God would give us the grace to do without if called so in Providence.

Could you expound on learning how to abound? (And keep pushing back, please. At the very least you're forcing me to define my terms, and in the words of Ben Franklin, "Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man.")

We have physical needs, social responsibilities, etc. When we are hungry God blesses us with food to fill and nourish us. The food is received as an expression of God's goodness to us. Lack of food might lead us to cry more earnestly to God but it would also take away our strength to be of any use. We learn to abound when we receive with thankfulness and use what has been given to the best ends. The same applies to social responsibilities. When we have others depending on us, God grants us a supply whereby we may be serviceable to them. When God is the Provider he who gather much will not gather too much and he who gathers little will not gather too little.

Thanks for expounding!

The second is hypothetical; we trust God would give us the grace to do without if called so in Providence.

Very good point. But I would say that trusting God implies actively (that is, prayerfully) trusting him. And our prayers should be informed and active prayers, responsive to the stirrings of our hearts. If I recognize that I am currently not trusting God, then I pray that I would begin to do so. To bring it back around, if I recognize that my comfort derives not from God but from wealth, then I pray that he would comfort me all the more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back