Army-Navy Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Do they still exist? There was one in my hometown for many years, but it disappeared some years ago. Interesting places to shop for ex-military stuff (camping tents, etc.).

Perhaps they've all gone away by now.

Per Google, there are still a couple of them around Dallas. One I used to drive by in Richardson closed a good while back.

I passed one yesterday in Indiana. Honestly, you can get much better gear much cheaper other places.

A lot of these stores use to sell actual military surplus items that they bought at auction and sold for a profit. I suspect the business model only works if you can get the stuff at auction for almost nothing. Otherwise, you're forced into a losing battle with retail outlets and you eventually have to close. And it would seem that's what's happened. Sad though. I always really enjoyed Army-Navy stores. Where else could you buy a pin made from a bullet?!

A lot of these stores use to sell actual military surplus items that they bought at auction and sold for a profit. I suspect the business model only works if you can get the stuff at auction for almost nothing. Otherwise, you're forced into a losing battle with retail outlets and you eventually have to close. And it would seem that's what's happened. Sad though. I always really enjoyed Army-Navy stores. Where else could you buy a pin made from a bullet?!

Yeah, sounds like they're a dying breed. You could see some fairly bizarre stuff in those surplus stores.

The ones in the Pittsburgh area differ greatly from one to the next. I've been to a few of them. Some sell ammo, guns, and seem to turn over a lot of military surplus inventory. The one closest to me has a bunch of military T-shirts, boots, and other swag. Not nearly as busy as the others, it's a wonder it's still open.

When I was growing up, there were tons of WWII/Korea surplus items on the market. I don't know how much surplus the military is generating these days. I'd guess most of it ends up in landfills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back