As the minister goes, so goes the congregation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
I am looking for links, quotes, sermons, bible examples or historical examples of this principle: When the minister-class is deficient, the people as a whole suffer.

I am thinking of Ezekial 34 and the fat shepherds and skinny sheep and Jesus' words in Matthew 9 about seeing the people like sheep without a shepherd. Evil shepherds result in suffering sheep.

I want to write a tract against the great sins among the pastors that often happens here in Melanesia (and all around the world). Many church-groups are wondering why their congregations are often in open sin and have broken families, and yet they tolerate pastors who seem to exhibit ungodly behavior. Before a regional revival happens, there needs to be a purification of the minister-class and a return to pastoral faithfulness.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

In the OT we see how the morality of the kings played a large role in the state of the peoples during the time of the divided kingdom.

Matthew 15:14 comes to mind, where Jesus, speaking of the Pharisees, tells his disciples "Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”

Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint. ( Also translated) Where there is no vision the people perish. Who is responsible for delivering that to the congregation?

There are pastors who teach damnable error, and leave the flock in darkness:

Isaiah 9:16 For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed.

But the opposite is also true, where genuine saints are in a congregation where the "angel" (the pastor) is said by Jesus to have "a name that thou livest, and art dead" (Rev 3:1), and yet:

Revelation 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

* Note that in those days there was only one church to a city, and one couldn't go to a more sound congregation and more godly pastor down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back