Augustine quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know in what work where that comment of Augustine's is to be found about the Scriptures being like an ocean that is shallow for lambs to swim in and deep enough for elephants as well? It seems Gregory said something similar.
 
Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Does anyone know in what work where that comment of Augustine's is to be found about the Scriptures being like an ocean that is shallow for lambs to swim in and deep enough for elephants as well? It seems Gregory said something similar.
Chris, your question presupposes that such a comment belongs to Augustine. I have never seen any evidence that he used this illustration.

http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19077#pid279594

DTK

[Edited on 10-19-2006 by DTK]
 
Thanks David; that answers my question. I missed that thread the first time around. :)
Gillespie refers to the comment [in his sermon before the House of Commons] and only attributes the comment parenthetically in the manner, "as He said". I had always heard it attributed to Augustine. Has Gregory on Job been translated in the Church Fathers set or is it only in Migne?

[Edited on 10-19-2006 by NaphtaliPress]
 
Found an answer.
Main Author: GREGORY I., Saint, surnamed the Great, Pope
Title Details: Morals on the Book of Job ... Translated, with notes and indices [by James Bliss. With the text.]
Series: [Library of Fathers, etc.]
Publisher: Oxford : J. H. Parker, 1844-50.
Physical desc.: 3 vol. ; 8o.
 
Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
And someone has started to put the Bliss text online. The quote in the Epistle as translated reads: It is, as it were, a kind of river, if I may so liken it, which is both shallow [planus] and deep, wherein both the lamb may find a footing, and the elephant float at large.
http://www.lectionarycentral.com/GregoryMoraliaIndex.html
A Library of Fathers of the Holy Catholic Church (Oxford: John Henry Parker) is a mid-nineteenth century translation project, produced by and large (I believe) by members of the Tractarian sect (Oxford Movement) in the Anglican Church as led by Newman, Pusey, & Keble. Of course, Newman converted to Rome in 1845, the same year that his Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine was published. Gregory's commentary on Job was translated as a part of this series, and spanned two or three large volumes. Not many libraries have this series. I consulted these volumes, and Gregory's work among them, many times at the Pitts Theological Library on the campus of Emory University in Decatur, GA, back when I was involved in a research project over the course of 6 1/2 years.

DTK
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top