Augustine Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonahMac

Puritan Board Freshman
I am getting ready to have my first kid. My wife and I decided to name him Augustine (August). I was curious if anyone had any good Augustine quotes and where they are found in light of my son.
 
Congratulations on your first child Jonah!

One quote I've always liked by Augustine comes from chapter 1 of his Confessions:

"Thou awakest us to delight in Thy praise; for Thou madest us for Thyself, and our heart is restless, until it repose in Thee."

This comes from E. B. Pusey's translation in the old Harvard Classics, but I'm sure you can find it in more modern translations as well.
 
Congratulations!

This one is from Confessions 1.15:

"Hear, Lord, my prayer; let not my soul faint under Thy discipline, nor let me faint in confessing unto Thee all Thy mercies, whereby Thou hast drawn me out of all my most evil ways, that Thou mightest become a delight to me above all the allurements which I once pursued; that I may most entirely love Thee, and clasp Thy hand with all my affections, and Thou mayest yet rescue me from every temptation, even unto the end."
 
Just got an email today that had this gem of a quote from Augustine in their signature:

"I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden." - Augustine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top