Augustine's Supper of Pickled Anchovies

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
Even when Augustine was asleep, he tirelessly strove to help others see truth.

However, I was once duped and tied up in knots in this kind of dream; I was trying hard to persuade a friend of mine, whom I was also seeing in the dream, that the things we were seeing were not bodies but the fantasies of dreamers, while he of course was also appearing to me in the same way as they were. But still I was also telling him that it was not really true that we were talking together, but that he too was also seeing something quite different in his sleep and was totally unaware that I in my sleep was seeing these things. Yet while I was exerting myself to persuade this very same man that he was not really there, I was also being driven to suppose that he really was, because naturally I would not be talking to him if I were absolutely sure without a shadow of doubt that he was not. Thus the soul of a sleeper, though somehow marvelously awake, could not but be led a pretty dance by the images of bodies, as if they really were the bodies themselves.
The Literal Meaning of Genesis, XII,3.

Something's fishy here. I was under the impression it was either smoked baby chub or fermented sardines. But perhaps I was dreaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back