Baptist exorcism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henoch

Puritan Board Freshman
I was listening to an excellent sermon by Rev Charles Lawson appropriate for our times


And I found something quite interesting
At around 4:30 in the video he says
My father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I come against the spirit
I plead the blood of Christ against this power that has settled down upon this congregation
Lord you know I come in the name of the Lord I'm just a man I'm a messenger and that's all I am
I have no authority over Satan I am certainly not his match but I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ,
in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ this morning and by the power of the blood Covenant at Calvary I break the
power of hell that comes against this sermon and against this congregation!
I remember Justin Peters saying that we are to ask the Lord to rebuke the devil not directly rebuke him based on Jude 1:9

Do y'all think it's legitimate for Christians to rebuke/bind the devil based on the authority they have in Christ?
 
Yes. "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Eph 6:12). "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world" (John 17:18; Cf. John 20:21; Luke 10:19, 20).
 
Yes. "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Eph 6:12). "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world" (John 17:18; Cf. John 20:21; Luke 10:19, 20).
What are your thoughts on Jude 1 9, brother? Is it about Christians rebuking the devil or smth else?
 
Hello Enoch,

I would think it somewhat analagous to James 4:9, "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." And 1 Peter 5:8, 9a, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith...".

All of our warfare is in the name of the Lord.
 
Last edited:
Enoch, I would refrain from listening to Charles Lawson. First, he's dispensational, second, he is against Calvinism, but in a subtle way. Here's a sermon of his on Calvin:

Charles Lawson also is ignorant of the actual situation re Servetus' execution at the hands of the Genevan government, and falsely accuses Calvin. A factual, historical account (available in Kindle format also) : The Trial of the 16th Century: Calvin & Servetus, by Jonathan Moorhead.

A Heidelblog review of Moorhead's book.
 
Last edited:
Enoch, I would refrain from listening to Charles Lawson. First, he's dispensational, second, he is against Calvinism, but in a subtle way. Here's a sermon of his on Calvin:

Charles Lawson also is ignorant of the actual situation re Servetus' execution at the hands of the Genevan government, and falsely accuses Calvin. A factual, historical account (available in Kindle format also) : The Trial of the 16th Century: Calvin & Servetus, by Jonathan Moorhead.

A Heidelblog review of Moorheard's book.
Wow that's a shame, I liked his bold emphatic style of preaching
I heard him on sermon audio and somehow assumed everyone there to be reformed in some way lol

Sermon audio has dispensationalists too? It atleast doesn't have charismatics does it?
 
If you want to introduce confusion into your theology and mind, there's no better way to do so than to listen to dispensationalists. There are much better people to listen to, I would strongly recommend avoiding dispensationalists at all costs
 
You can listen to dispensationalists if you like. Neither R.C. Sproul nor Joel Beeke have had problems with them when they openly fellowshipp(ed) and work(ed) together with them. The Jude passage is clear, in that it is better and more fitting to petition the Lord to rebuke demons and Satan, then thinking you have power to do so yourself. God is already working on your behalf as it pertains to the demonic realm, otherwise, all the saints would be snuffed out as soon as they were made known to be elect. 1 Pet. 5:8, Job 38:11.
 
Last edited:
Hello David @davejonescue ,

It's an interesting topic our spiritual warfare. Have you considered the Scriptures I referenced in my first two posts? In Eph 6:12 it is said we must "wrestle" – against spiritual wickedness in high places – wrestling is a hand-to-hand sort of combat. And in 1 Peter 5:9, where we are told to "resist" the devil . . . resisting an onslaught of a powerful opponent is a strenuous activity . . . what's that about? Do you not know? Have you not wrestled with spirits seeking to crush you?

And in John 17:18 where Jesus says to His Father, "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world", and we read in 1 John 3:8, "...The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil." Have we no part, as Christ's disciples, in this?

When Paul says in 2 Cor 10:3,4,5, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds,) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ", do we not tangle with demonic powers energizing those humans who oppose the faith?

Are you not familiar with these things? Of course, we do all things in the name of our mighty Lord, and in the power of His indwelling Spirit. What does Paul mean when he says, "Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily" (Col 1:29)? And in Phil 2:13, "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure"? We are to be active in the warfare.
-----
And sure, I can fellowship with Dispensationalists; but my spiritual labors with them are severely limited, as the gospel they preach and the one I preach differ radically in some respects. Such as in evangelizing, and giving them God's promises, and assurances of His keeping power.
 
Last edited:
Hello David @davejonescue ,

It's an interesting topic our spiritual warfare. Have you considered the Scriptures I referenced in my first two posts? In Eph 6:12 it is said we must "wrestle" – against spiritual wickedness in high places – wrestling is a hand-to-hand sort of combat. And in 1 Peter 5:9, where we are told to "resist" the devil . . . resisting an onslaught of a powerful opponent is a strenuous activity . . . what's that about? Do you not know? Have you not wrestled with spirits seeking to crush you?

And in John 17:18 where Jesus says to His Father, "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world", and we read in 1 John 3:8, "...The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil." Have we no part, as Christ's disciples, in this?

When Paul says in 2 Cor 10:3,4,5, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds,) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ", do we not tangle with demonic powers energizing those humans who oppose the faith?

Are you not familiar with these things? Of course, we do all things in the name of our mighty Lord, and in the power of His indwelling Spirit. What does Paul mean when he says, "Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily" (Col 1:29)? And in Phil 2:13, "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure"? We are to be active in the warfare.
-----
And sure, I can fellowship with Dispensationalists; but my spiritual labors with them are severely limited, as the gospel they preach and the one I preach differ radically in some respects. Such as in evangelizing, and giving them God's promises, and assurances of His keeping power.
I think what I am trying to get at, is the practice of spiritual warfare isnt us against demons (as if hand to hand combat) but calling upon the name of the Lord. All through scripture the church are mentioned as sheep, little ones, I would go as far as to say feeble and weak ones. This is particularly why some have a problem with people applying the David vs Goliath imagery upon themselves; that is, if we were Davids and the Devil were Goliath. No, it is Jesus that is the warrior and the only one who has defeated Satan, and the only Saints who will defeat Satan (or demonic entities) are those who do so through him. When we think of warfare, though I am not an expert on this issue, it would seem understanding that God loves petition. God loves to be requested. God searches too and fro looking to work mighty on behalf of those who are committed to him. Do so many of us think we are Pauls in the eyes of demons, or rather akin to the sons of Sceva? In my opinion the Jude verse is quite clear, that too many people think they are on the same playing field as fallen angels, beings who could slew 100,000 men by themselves. When we wrestle it seems we wrestle to either do something in our own power (bad) or the Lords (good), and this could be a reason the Devil tries to get Christians to neglect two major things 1. The Bible, 2. Prayer. Now I am not accusing you of a flippant attitude of the Devil at all, but many in the church act as if they do all sorts of things to him. But look at Rom. 16:20. Who does it say will put Satan under our feet? Is it us or some endued power, or is it God who fights on our behalf. I just don't get why some would think to do direct battle with an entity who has been since creation, when they can petition the creator to do battle on their behalf?

Now I do have 2 good books on Spiritual Warfare, Downame's The Christian Warfare, and Gurnall's The Christian in Complete Armour. Just haven't had time to read them yet. So I could be totally off on this. But I think the Jude verse is clearly explaining exactly what it is trying to explain. Do not get haughty when the Devil or Demons are concerned.
 
Last edited:
If you want to introduce confusion into your theology and mind, there's no better way to do so than to listen to dispensationalists. There are much better people to listen to, I would strongly recommend avoiding dispensationalists at all costs
There aren't enough presbyterian/reformed preachers I know who preach on OT prophecy in detail- like verse by verse, are there?

They mostly choose the (obvious) gospel passages/passages quoted in the NT and make hundreds of sermons or books on those passages(like Thomas Mantons Isaiah 53 is 1000 pages or smth long)
I love this style of sermons but Id love verse by verse expositions too

That's what(as far as I have observed, at least the good ones) most puritan/reformed/presbyterian writings and sermons are like

E.g. the presbyterian sermons on sermon audio are mostly focused on isaiah 6(holiness of God), isaiah 7:14, isaiah 9:6(christmas sermons) and the passion sermons on isaiah 53

Extremely few sermons on the historical sections - chapters 13-23
And even the sermons present have very little detail

I'm looking for sermons that are verse by verse expositions even from the seemingly mundane sections (which aren't truly mundane with the Holy Spirit's illumination)
I don't find enough reformed resources that are accessible
Or at least that involve some proper exegesis


I find more calvary chapel or dispensational resources on Isaiah 13-23 than the reformed ones

They don't understand the doctrines of grace and covenants that the reformed understand better unfortunately but for the Old Testament portions I'm not sure if I find accesible reformed survey type sermons/verse by verse expositions that cover many verses in a short duration type sermons
 
Dave, check this out:

An Exposition, With Notes, Upon the Epistle of Jude (eBook) I use the pdf version here, though I also have the BOT hardcopy.

In your search feature enter ver. 9

In the exposition following you will see the nature of Jude’s warning; it is not as you say, but is in regard to fleshly people daring to bring reviling accusation against spirit beings immensely greater than they are. You cannot use this as an argument we are not to ourselves war against – with due discretion – demonic beings.

See Ephesians 6:10, “Finally, my brethren, [you] be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.” And what follows.

I think, brother Dave, you conjecture of things you know not of, and not according to the word of our God as regards these things.
[automerge]1764660773[/automerge]
Enoch, check this site out. https://www.monergism.com/ . You may also find audio sermons there.
 
Last edited:
A good place to start is always the eminent Rev. Silversides (RPCI), who is now in glory:

Also, Rev. Rob McCurley (FCC):

There aren't enough presbyterian/reformed preachers I know who preach on OT prophecy in detail- like verse by verse, are there?

They mostly choose the (obvious) gospel passages/passages quoted in the NT and make hundreds of sermons or books on those passages(like Thomas Mantons Isaiah 53 is 1000 pages or smth long)
I love this style of sermons but Id love verse by verse expositions too

That's what(as far as I have observed, at least the good ones) most puritan/reformed/presbyterian writings and sermons are like

E.g. the presbyterian sermons on sermon audio are mostly focused on isaiah 6(holiness of God), isaiah 7:14, isaiah 9:6(christmas sermons) and the passion sermons on isaiah 53

Extremely few sermons on the historical sections - chapters 13-23
And even the sermons present have very little detail

I'm looking for sermons that are verse by verse expositions even from the seemingly mundane sections (which aren't truly mundane with the Holy Spirit's illumination)
I don't find enough reformed resources that are accessible
Or at least that involve some proper exegesis


I find more calvary chapel or dispensational resources on Isaiah 13-23 than the reformed ones

They don't understand the doctrines of grace and covenants that the reformed understand better unfortunately but for the Old Testament portions I'm not sure if I find accesible reformed survey type sermons/verse by verse expositions that cover many verses in a short duration type sermons
 
Last edited:
I think what I am trying to get at, is the practice of spiritual warfare isnt us against demons (as if hand to hand combat) but calling upon the name of the Lord. All through scripture the church are mentioned as sheep, little ones, I would go as far as to say feeble and weak ones. This is particularly why some have a problem with people applying the David vs Goliath imagery upon themselves; that is, if we were Davids and the Devil were Goliath. No, it is Jesus that is the warrior and the only one who has defeated Satan, and the only Saints who will defeat Satan (or demonic entities) are those who do so through him. When we think of warfare, though I am not an expert on this issue, it would seem understanding that God loves petition. God loves to be requested. God searches too and fro looking to work mighty on behalf of those who are committed to him. Do so many of us think we are Pauls in the eyes of demons, or rather akin to the sons of Sceva? In my opinion the Jude verse is quite clear, that too many people think they are on the same playing field as fallen angels, beings who could slew 100,000 men by themselves. When we wrestle it seems we wrestle to either do something in our own power (bad) or the Lords (good), and this could be a reason the Devil tries to get Christians to neglect two major things 1. The Bible, 2. Prayer. Now I am not accusing you of a flippant attitude of the Devil at all, but many in the church act as if they do all sorts of things to him. But look at Rom. 16:20. Who does it say will put Satan under our feet? Is it us or some endued power, or is it God who fights on our behalf. I just don't get why some would think to do direct battle with an entity who has been since creation, when they can petition the creator to do battle on their behalf?

Now I do have 2 good books on Spiritual Warfare, Downame's The Christian Warfare, and Gurnall's The Christian in Complete Armour. Just haven't had time to read them yet. So I could be totally off on this. But I think the Jude verse is clearly explaining exactly what it is trying to explain. Do not get haughty when the Devil or Demons are concerned.

Having almost finished Gurnall (only 350 pages left!!) I would say that you are off the mark. You need to take the whole counsel of scripture when it comes to spiritual warfare. Yes we alone are weak, but the same power that raised Christ from the grave indwells us. We are like Paul, a servant of the Most High, whom even the weakest of, if they rely wholly on the power of Christ, can overthrow and overcome even the temptations of Satan himself.

We don't pronounce a "railing accusation" against Satan, but we do wrestle with, and resist him by the power given to us by God, even the whole armor of God.

But your last statement is correct.

"The higher our eminence is, the greater should be our humility...this eminently glorious angel, this archangel has humility stamped upon his name; by it he does not ask, Know you not who I am? Or, who is so great as I? But Who is like the Lord?"

- Jenkyn on Jude 9
 
Enoch, check this site out. https://www.monergism.com/ . You may also find audio sermons there.
Sure, thanks brother!
[automerge]1764699528[/automerge]
A good place to start is always the eminent Rev. Silversides (RPCS), who is now in glory:

Also, Rev. Rob McCurley (FCC):
Brother, I just heard a sermon of Rev Silversides on Isaiah 15-16 and it was wonderful

He brought conviction of sin and preached God's mercy through the gospel even in such a passage after he covered most of the historical background and context of those verses


The unfortunate thing about these wonderful men is that I could never find good sermons like this when I do a simple Scripture search on sermon audio

Like when I searched Isaiah 14 I got sermons on who the next Antichrist will be instead of reformed gospel exposition

Do you know similar reformed sermon series for the Psalms brother?
 
Last edited:
The unfortunate thing about these wonderful men is that I could never find good sermons like this when I do a simple Scripture search on sermon audio

The old layout of the site enabled one to select by author. I haven't found that feature on the new layout, which has made it very difficult to navigate, especially since I want to avoid all the rubbish (and there appears to be a lot of it now). If anyone knows how to select by author on the new layout you would be doing me a kind service if you could point it out to me.

On the OP, as humble and submissive as it sounds on the surface, I think it is dangerous territory because it confuses the order of authorities. The Pentecostals speak like this because of their confused theology. We do not have anything to do with such "spirits," nor should we even think that such "spirits" would affect a congregation of the Lord Jesus Christ met together by faith in His name. Our faith has already decisively obtained the victory in which we stand as the people of Christ. This is the victory that has overcome the world! We either believe it or we don't.
 
Hello Matthew,

I’m not sure I understand when you say,

‘We do not have anything to do with such “spirits,” nor should we even think that such “spirits” would affect a congregation of the Lord Jesus Christ met together by faith in His name. Our faith has already decisively obtained the victory in which we stand as the people of Christ. This is the victory that has overcome the world!’

Are you saying that all congregations of the Lord Jesus Christ are automatically protected by their faith in His name? Despite what individuals in that congregation may covertly – or ignorantly – be into and doing?
 
Are you saying that all congregations of the Lord Jesus Christ are automatically protected by their faith in His name? Despite what individuals in that congregation may covertly – or ignorantly – be into and doing?

I hold to the doctrine of the the spiritual authority and protection of the ekklesia. Where two or three are gathered in Christ's name, He is present in their midst, Matt. 18:20. The presence of the Holy Spirit in a believing community establishes a domain where opposing spiritual forces have no claim or power. Through Christ's death and resurrection, the decisive blow has been struck against spiritual powers. It is not a victory to be won but a victory to be believed and applied. The church, as the Body of Christ, is seated with Him in the heavenly places, Eph. 2:6. This is her legal, spiritual standing.

If individuals entertain things contrary to Christ, the church does not lose the victory. The call is to repentance and faith. The leadership takes captive every thought to bring it into the obedience to Christ. Through preaching and teaching the spiritual space is proactively filled with the truth of Christ's supremacy. Through corporate prayer the power of the Spirit is sought to reveal what is hidden, and to bring souls to conviction and repentance. Through church disciples the kingdom of God is open and shut.

Victory in Christ is the ultimate reality. Active, congregational faith applies the victory to every area. Christ is Lord here. We live and act under His authority.
 
Hello Matthew,

That is a good reply, although what you say above pertains to an ideal, perfect church, and in Revelation 2 and 3 – Jesus’ letters to the 7 churches (all the extant churches in John’s area of influence at that time, and all the churches up through the Christian era) – there are only two that are, by Jesus, whole-heartedly approved: Smyrna and Philadelphia.

The others, if they repented not of their shortcomings, could have had their existences terminated. In one of the failing churches, Sardis, there were some individual members counted worthy (Rev 3:4).

I think we also disagree on how we deal with demonic activity, when it strikes close to home, either directly, or through others.
 
Last edited:
The old layout of the site enabled one to select by author. I haven't found that feature on the new layout, which has made it very difficult to navigate, especially since I want to avoid all the rubbish (and there appears to be a lot of it now). If anyone knows how to select by author on the new layout you would be doing me a kind service if you could point it out to me.
When you do a search from the search bar on sermonaudio for whatever you want, you can afterwards select 'Sermons' in the bar below the search. There, it shows a filter option 'Add Filter', and you can filter it by many things, and one of them is 'Speaker', and that is what I think you mean by 'author'. Hope this helps!
 
When you do a search from the search bar on sermonaudio for whatever you want, you can afterwards select 'Sermons' in the bar below the search. There, it shows a filter option 'Add Filter', and you can filter it by many things, and one of them is 'Speaker', and that is what I think you mean by 'author'. Hope this helps!

It works. Thankyou very much.
[automerge]1764792598[/automerge]
Hello Matthew,

That is a good reply, although what you say above pertains to an ideal, perfect church, and in Revelation 2 and 3 – Jesus’ letters to the 7 churches (all the extant churches in John’s area of influence at that time, and all the churches up through the Christian era) – there are only two that are, by Jesus, whole-heartedly approved: Smyrna and Philadelphia.

The others, if they repented not of their shortcomings, could have had their existences terminated. In one of the failing churches, Sardis, there were some individual members counted worthy (Rev 3:4).

They all had the promise -- to him that overcometh. Nothing I said pertains to an ideal, perfect church. It pertains to the militant church on earth, in all the conditions described in the letters to the seven churches. What makes them churches? They call on the name of the Lord. It is the Lord who establishes the church and gives her victory.

I think we also disagree on how we deal with demonic activity, when it strikes close to home, either directly, or through others.

I think you may be right. It appears you hold to a doctrine concerning devils that is trying to imitate Christ as Deliverer.
 
Last edited:
You can listen to dispensationalists if you like. Neither R.C. Sproul nor Joel Beeke have had problems with them when they openly fellowshipp(ed) and work(ed) together with them. The Jude passage is clear, in that it is better and more fitting to petition the Lord to rebuke demons and Satan, then thinking you have power to do so yourself. God is already working on your behalf as it pertains to the demonic realm, otherwise, all the saints would be snuffed out as soon as they were made known to be elect. 1 Pet. 5:8, Job 38:11.

Early in my Christian life, I would say before my conversion but during a period when I was being awakened to the importance of taking faith seriously, I listened to a number of radio preachers who I later learned were dispensational -- as in many years later. I can't honestly say they were responsible for my conversion, but they introduced me to the idea of exegeting the Bible rather than just preaching opinions for 15 to 20 minutes with only a vague relationship, at best, to the text. Another dispensational church, one well-known not only in Grand Rapids but nationwide at that time, put on its bulletin board on one of the major roads to downtown, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me," and referenced John 14:6. I had never, yes literally NEVER, heard that anywhere in any church or from any Christian, despite living in what, back in the 1970s and 1980s, was one of the most important centers of the Reformed faith. I looked it up in the Bible and realized the church sign was right, and what I was being taught in my church about many paths to God was wrong. That wasn't what brought me to conversion, but it taught me why conversion is necessary.

We sent our daughter to the Christian school in our community run by an independent fundamental Baptist church whose pastor likes MacArthur, and where a fair number of Reformed military personnel attend without joining because 1) the church is large enough to have programs for families, 2) the pastor follows MacArthur in preaching exegetically, verse-by-verse, and that means that when he is teaching something un-Reformed he backs it up from the Bible and it's actually helpful to hear a clear presentation of biblical arguments on the other side, and 3) the man combined being a solid conservative on social issues with a pastoral heart and a particular love for Christian education and raising children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

So yes, dispensationalists who put biblical exegesis and personal conversion above end-times charts are evangelical brothers in the Lord. We can learn from them.

There are people who I don't agree with doctrinally who I like personally and can work with in a number of contexts.

But if we don't understand where we disagree with them, as well as where we agree, we will have problems.

Being Bereans and going back to the text is what they would say we should do, and they're right. Of course, we're going to say that some key texts mean different things from what they think they mean, and the better men among the dispensationalists will understand that men of good will who hold to biblical inerrancy will sometimes interpret different texts differently.
 
Early in my Christian life, I would say before my conversion but during a period when I was being awakened to the importance of taking faith seriously, I listened to a number of radio preachers who I later learned were dispensational -- as in many years later. I can't honestly say they were responsible for my conversion, but they introduced me to the idea of exegeting the Bible rather than just preaching opinions for 15 to 20 minutes with only a vague relationship, at best, to the text. Another dispensational church, one well-known not only in Grand Rapids but nationwide at that time, put on its bulletin board on one of the major roads to downtown, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me," and referenced John 14:6. I had never, yes literally NEVER, heard that anywhere in any church or from any Christian, despite living in what, back in the 1970s and 1980s, was one of the most important centers of the Reformed faith. I looked it up in the Bible and realized the church sign was right, and what I was being taught in my church about many paths to God was wrong. That wasn't what brought me to conversion, but it taught me why conversion is necessary.

We sent our daughter to the Christian school in our community run by an independent fundamental Baptist church whose pastor likes MacArthur, and where a fair number of Reformed military personnel attend without joining because 1) the church is large enough to have programs for families, 2) the pastor follows MacArthur in preaching exegetically, verse-by-verse, and that means that when he is teaching something un-Reformed he backs it up from the Bible and it's actually helpful to hear a clear presentation of biblical arguments on the other side, and 3) the man combined being a solid conservative on social issues with a pastoral heart and a particular love for Christian education and raising children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

So yes, dispensationalists who put biblical exegesis and personal conversion above end-times charts are evangelical brothers in the Lord. We can learn from them.

There are people who I don't agree with doctrinally who I like personally and can work with in a number of contexts.

But if we don't understand where we disagree with them, as well as where we agree, we will have problems.

Being Bereans and going back to the text is what they would say we should do, and they're right. Of course, we're going to say that some key texts mean different things from what they think they mean, and the better men among the dispensationalists will understand that men of good will who hold to biblical inerrancy will sometimes interpret different texts differently.
Similarly Rev Harry Ironside was an excellent evangelist and would preach the gospel in all his sermons even though he was dispensationalists

Similarly there were excellent brethren dispensationalist writers who wrote commentaries- McKintosh, Warren Wiersbe, John Macarthur- his gospel preaching and understanding of the doctrines of grace was solid, etc.
Similarly some dispensationalists do see Christ in the Old Testament types and shadows - like many dispensationalists have written extensively on the Christology of the Tabernacle and the Pentateuch, etc.
 
Last edited:
Hello again, Matthew, I do acknowledge you are far more learnèd in theology than I, and are a godly man, yet you have – in the providence of God – been spared the experience of many – especially in these days – of sorcerous drug use, and what that entails.

The Lord put to use my experience in that realm to turn me into a knowledgeable and vigorous opponent of such. Though you say to me, “It appears you hold to a doctrine concerning devils that is trying to imitate Christ as Deliverer”. I have made my view – and my doctrine – quite clear in the above, but to briefly reiterate it:

We are not to be hermetically sealed off from activity in the demonic realm – yes, I am fully aware that the preaching of the Gospel is the most potent weapon in our aggressive warfare against the dark powers! – and yet it is not the only weapon, as Scripture makes clear. Nor do we “try to imitate Christ as Deliverer”, for He has given us a charge, as He said to His Father concerning us, “As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world”, and how did the Father send Him? “For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil” (1 John 3:8),

We certainly cannot destroy the devil’s works as the Lord did in His substitutionary penal atonement, yet He has spoken to us of just how we should continue to destroy his evil activities. In Col 1:29 we see Paul giving these principles, “I also labour, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily”. And, “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure” (Phil 2:13).

And he fleshes this warfare out in Eph 6:10, 11 and following, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”

The spiritual weaponry is not only comprised of righteousness and faith, but aggressive weaponry against strongholds, the shield of faith, the sword of the Spirit, and “all prayer”.

In 2 Cor 10:3,4,5 we see this further: “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds,) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ”. These “strong holds” are not merely human constructs, but demon-fortified and energized, doctrines of devils.

Going back to the realm of sorcery you were blessed not to enter, like those who were ravaged or destroyed, there is in our own days of 2025 and 2026 an even greater mass of souls caught up in this demonic realm through the use of so-called “recreational sorcery”.

In my book, A Great and Terrible Love II: Heading into Armageddon on Apocalypse Field, Global Arena of Consciousness, there is a section, “Survival For Christians Involved In Sorcery”, which seeks to help those in that number, with counsel and Scripture.

I plead, respectfully, in the words of our Nobel Poet, “don’t criticize what you can’t understand” (The Times They Are A-Changin’). The holocaust of deserved judgment is upon multitudes today, and yet there are some elect in that throng – to whom I would reach out.

Stephen Charnock had a saying, “A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant”, even if it be only in a very limited application of that insight, to the sorcery-infected crowd. (The Works of the Late Rev. Stephen Charnock ... With a Prefatory Dedication and Memoir, 1815) p. 653.
 
Hello again, Matthew, I do acknowledge you are far more learnèd in theology than I, and are a godly man, yet you have – in the providence of God – been spared the experience of many – especially in these days – of sorcerous drug use, and what that entails.

Steve, I do not understand why you always want to bring your past sinful life into the new creation. We have been told many times of your unique experience which grants you specialised knowledge about things that normal people are not supposed to know; as if we cannot read about the effects that drugs have on the brain. The sinful past should be left in the past. A false doctrine of devils only legitimises devils and denies the truth and power of the gospel. God created all things good; and in the new creation we enjoy His goodness with His blessing.

We are not to be hermetically sealed off from activity in the demonic realm – yes, I am fully aware that the preaching of the Gospel is the most potent weapon in our aggressive warfare against the dark powers! – and yet it is not the only weapon, as Scripture makes clear.

You also have prayer, and other ordinary means of grace, with helps to those means. But the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation. The gospel proclaims Christ's victory. Those who believe in Him are saved. He seals us off from what you call demonic activity. His truth enables us to see the lies of Satan and to resist them. Validating the power of devils as taught by false systems is not Christian.


Nor do we “try to imitate Christ as Deliverer”, for He has given us a charge, as He said to His Father concerning us, “As Thou hast sent Me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world”, and how did the Father send Him? “For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil” (1 John 3:8),

He was manifest to destroy the works of the devil. This is His work as our Saviour and Deliverer. If you read this passage it is speaking about SIN, works of unrighteousness. There is nothing about "spirits" or "demons." Sin is defined as transgression of the law of God. He died for our sins to save us from the punishment of the law. He regenerates us to release us from the power of sin. With your doctrine of devils you create new categories of evil with which a Christian has to deal. Then you have to set yourself up in the Saviour's place as your own deliverer.

We certainly cannot destroy the devil’s works as the Lord did in His substitutionary penal atonement, yet He has spoken to us of just how we should continue to destroy his evil activities. In Col 1:29 we see Paul giving these principles, “I also labour, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily”. And, “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure” (Phil 2:13).

Yes; a life of obedience is the way forward. Not returning to a false philosophy that keeps the heathen in bondage.

The spiritual weaponry is not only comprised of righteousness and faith, but aggressive weaponry against strongholds, the shield of faith, the sword of the Spirit, and “all prayer”.

The armour consists of the things God has done and given to us. They are not manufactured by us.

In 2 Cor 10:3,4,5 we see this further: “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds,) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ”. These “strong holds” are not merely human constructs, but demon-fortified and energized, doctrines of devils.

Taking captive every thought! It is within the realms of nature and reason. Yes, they are human constructs. This is what the devil works through. "Yea, hath God said," working on the minds and wills of people. And we are not unaware of his devices. With minds and wills renewed by grace we are able to see where the devil is at work. We can propositionally demonstrate what is of the devil. 1st John -- there is a clear difference between truth and falsehood.

Stephen Charnock had a saying, “A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant”, even if it be only in a very limited application of that insight, to the sorcery-infected crowd. (The Works of the Late Rev. Stephen Charnock ... With a Prefatory Dedication and Memoir, 1815) p. 653.

He is speaking of the natural knowledge of someone who is not born again. He refers to Nicodemus. You are misapplying his words to detract from brethren merely to exalt yourself because of your past sinful life. If you returned to biblical categories you would see where the real work of the devil is to be found, which is in accusing the brethren.
 
Matthew, taking your points one by one – and seeking to be gracious in the process.

The apostle Paul brought his own earlier sinful life up to show God’s grace to him – an undeserving chief of sinners – and used his background to more fully exposit the “old man” and the “new man” vis-à-vis God’s law, and what true righteousness entailed – among other things.

Don’t misrepresent my focus. The LORD often uses redeemed sinners’ backgrounds to more thoroughly expose former refuges of lies in the light of God’s word.

It is not I who promote a false doctrine of devils, and denies the truth and power of the gospel!

Some folks have an “allergy” to acknowledging the reality of the power of devils, even in Christians’ lives, which is itself a false system, or at least a foggy one. To say to those who are sealed off from demonic activity (Rev 9:4) they are thus automatically removed from danger is wrong. You are right when you say, “His truth enables us to see the lies of Satan and to resist them”, and this is precisely what I seek to do, and to teach. We differ in what this “resisting” entails.

“New categories of evil with which a Christian has to deal” have not been created by me, but there are indeed new categories of such brought about by the advent of sorcerous drugs, which are national and international plagues. Sticking one’s head in the sand is disastrous!

Owning responsibility to cleanse myself – and helping others do so themselves – is not setting ourselves up in the Saviour’s place as our own deliverers, but simply obedience in areas some do not even see and acknowledge. All our activity in done in the Saviour’s name and power, and by His command. Do not misrepresent what I say.

Do I promote a false philosophy of the demonic world? Or do you? The times have changed; new dangers – previously known to very few – are upon us. New dangers involve new sorts of obedience.

The armor we utilize depends on the nature of the dangers that confront us. The new utilizations are not “manufactured” but actually required. If you insist on living in the world of three quarters of a century back, you will not see it.

Is what I am about, Matthew, “merely to exalt yourself because of your past sinful life”? I am sad to see such an ungracious mischaracterization.

The devil does far more than only accusing the brethren; he murders, lies, deceives, attacks – these are also Biblical categories of his operations.

Charnock’s saying may apply to regenerate people also, even though I sought to be gracious, limited, and precisely accurate in how I applied that in our discussion.
 
Last edited:
Matthew, I do have to apologize for applying to you the quote from Charnock as I see he uses the term “theologically” – in this section – as a pejorative, and applied strictly to the unregenerate. I’m sorry for that. Please forgive me. I did not intend that. But simply that you erred in your view of something.

The closest he gets to what I mean is here (and yet he still does not explore it as I wish to) :

"Every man is born with a veil upon his heart, and spiritual things cannot be discerned by a faculty spiritually depraved. This is partial in good men; they have a light in their minds, but obscure. They know but little of God, nor can ever know him to the utmost, nor search him out unto perfection, because he is infinite. And this is in some more, in some less, according to the acuteness or dulness of their natural capacities, their various diverting employments and conditions in the world; or according to the variety of the means of knowledge, which may be in one place more than in another. Some parts of the world have not the sun in that beauty and strength as it is in others. The best Christian heart, in comparison of what it should be, is a land of darkness, not a fully enlightened Goshen."​

What I desire to convey is more a statement on the fallibility inhering in us all, even we the regenerate. Though you know the Lord truly and well, yet – for all that – in some areas you err, you are fallible. As no doubt, so am I, and also may err.

My point has been you are ignorant of things commonly known to many, things that pertain to the human condition, and our understanding of how to minister to them.

We can disagree without going at it like attack dogs. I know I inadvertently failed in this, causing offense to you. And apologize. Though I remain adamant in my view and my teaching.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top