Best Article on Isaiah 7 for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
http://www.dbts.edu/journals/1997/Proph.pdf

This is the best exposition/explanation I have read of Isaiah 7. It addresses the issue of expository preaching from the Old Testament by the Apostles. They did not choose their OT texts at random, nor did they force a New Covenant meaning onto Old Covenant texts. Rather some texts have linguistic peculiarities that point not to the Old Testament era but to the distant future.

The charge that the Apostles expounded the correct doctrine from the wrong Old Testament text is found false. As someone with a very strong sense that the sermon has to come out of the text, it has always bothered me that many preachers say that the prophetic nature of prophesy (Isaiah 7 being an example) were actually and literally fulfilled in the Old Testament. If that were so then why on earth did the Apostles say it was fulfilled in Christ? The answer is that it was not fulfilled until Christ. Anyway please follow the link and let me know what you think.

Eoghan;332409...the sermon has to come out of the text...[/QUOTE said:
Wow. What a concept! This would be an innovative idea for some people I hear on the radio or see on television.

By the way, Eoghan, how do you pronounce your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back