Best Bible App? (Cross Platform Preferred)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFollowerOfTheWay

Puritan Board Freshman
So I'll try to ask as concise as possible as to not waste anyone's time. Hopefully I can get some good recommendations.

Pretty much what I need is:
-something cross platform (macOS, iPad, iPhone)
-a simple interlinear or translation tool (I really like the "literal word" bible app for iOS but as great as it is on iPhone for just reading when I have a few extra moments, it doesn't offer much past that, no library etc)
-Notes and highlights (I really like Logos because I can make a quick note on a verse, or type out an entire study outline and sync it across devices)
-The ability to learn it at some point (this seems to be my problem with logos.. I'm just not good at using it!)

So I've been using Logos but I haven't purchased and feature sets, and I've purchased a minimal amount of books. I'm considering buying the $50 (fundamentals) version, from what I see it has most of what I need, and a decent library to come with it, but I'm hesitant on spending the money and not being able to eventually learn how to use it. Has anyone been in a similar position and if so, how long did it take for Logos to be easy to use? Also can anyone point me toward anyone on Youtube that does decent tutorials on how to use Logos? I've been watching pastor tanner but he's more aimed toward what to buy, not necessarily how to use. Is there another app that may fit the bill better than Logos?

I'd appreciate any advice you can throw my way!

I have Logos Fundamentals. I think that it is fine for a more advanced Bible app. For $50 in my opinion it is worth it. Having said that, I tend to use Olive Tree more than Logos. I mainly use it for it's simplicity. Olive Tree allows for notes and split windows. It is just not nearly as robust as Logos, which is why I use both for different reasons.

As far as your 'how long does it take for Logos to be easy to use" question goes, I would say that is up to you as the user. Logos offers some very thorough tutorials for their app. If you take the time to go through them, Logos can be quite beneficial for you rather quickly.

I utilize Logos for pretty much everything, but I've spent way more than what I'd like to admit increasing the size of my library to make the program more beneficial (and for theological research). If you have the money, I would argue that Logos can't be beat at the moment in terms of features and library access, but in order to get the best use of it, definitely watch their tutorials. Occasionally, I've heard of some universities offering free classes on utilizing Logos, you might want to see if a local seminary is offering free training.

I also use the Olive Tree app and occasionally the ESV app, but only because I have people in my congregation that prefer not spending large amounts of money on Logos, so they're tools to reach those who don't have the ability to utilize Logos.

I have Logos Fundamentals. I think that it is fine for a more advanced Bible app. For $50 in my opinion it is worth it. Having said that, I tend to use Olive Tree more than Logos. I mainly use it for it's simplicity. Olive Tree allows for notes and split windows. It is just not nearly as robust as Logos, which is why I use both for different reasons.

As far as your 'how long does it take for Logos to be easy to use" question goes, I would say that is up to you as the user. Logos offers some very thorough tutorials for their app. If you take the time to go through them, Logos can be quite beneficial for you rather quickly.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I thoroughly enjoy the Olive Tree app, especially for situations I only need a Bible. I do wish that I could consolidate all my notes into one place.

Question, I'm not sure if you'd know this but: I am subscribed to the 14.99/month Faithlife Essentials Sub which includes a decent feature set and decent library on Logos... Do you know how the Fundamentals package stacks against it? From what I see Fundamentals has everything I need and a one time purchase does sound nice.

I utilize Logos for pretty much everything, but I've spent way more than what I'd like to admit increasing the size of my library to make the program more beneficial (and for theological research). If you have the money, I would argue that Logos can't be beat at the moment in terms of features and library access, but in order to get the best use of it, definitely watch their tutorials. Occasionally, I've heard of some universities offering free classes on utilizing Logos, you might want to see if a local seminary is offering free training.

I also use the Olive Tree app and occasionally the ESV app, but only because I have people in my congregation that prefer not spending large amounts of money on Logos, so they're tools to reach those who don't have the ability to utilize Logos.
By these "tutorials" do you guys mean the ones that can be found in the library on the Logos app itself or is there something I'm missing? Maybe I haven't given it a fair shake because when I watch some videos of people that use it on YouTube they seem to be flying through the features and it doesn't seem nearly as cumbersome as I make It out to be.

i have not used logos but im a cheapo. I had olive tree but it was too pricey in my opinion. Right now I use blue letter bible - web on pc and app on iphone.

I'll put in a vote for OliveTree (olivetree.com). I haven't done much book by book price comparison with Logos but I find it very easier to use than Logos (though Logos has gotten better) and sync across devices.

Logos is way too expensive, even their sale prices are high. I use Olive Tree and watch their sales weekly and buy only sale items. I like Logos functionality but unless I get rich I cannot afford to buy what I need from them. I have a couple things but am mainly using it to get the free book monthly. I have enough invested in Olive Tree that I wish I had an external way of backing up what I've purchased there.

If you have the money, I would argue that Logos can't be beat at the moment in terms of features and library access,

My advice about Logos is like the word of the Lord to his disciples in about obtaining a sward at all cost. (Luke 22:36)

"and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."

As we don't have much money, I use only the Olive Tree app, which suits me fine. One can wait for whatever book or sets one wants till a sale comes along and often it is 50% or even 80% below price.

With Logos, even though it is excellent, when the electric grid goes down, thousands of dollars are lost. With Olive Tree, not that much is lost.

As we don't have much money, I use only the Olive Tree app, which suits me fine. One can wait for whatever book or sets one wants till a sale comes along and often it is 50% or even 80% below price.

With Logos, even though it is excellent, when the electric grid goes down, thousands of dollars are lost. With Olive Tree, not that much is lost.
How often does that happen though? And if the power goes out, you don’t have lights also presumably to read your books.

To balance that argument, Logos is a dream for missionaries like yourself, to pack 2000 books in your laptop or tablet.

How often does that happen though? And if the power goes out, you don’t have lights also presumably to read your books.

To balance that argument, Logos is a dream for missionaries like yourself, to pack 2000 books in your laptop or tablet.
I could be wrong but I think he means more along the lines of offline availability without internet connection. If this is the case your point still stands though. Also if this is the case, I do believe Logos has offline, at least on Mac it does.

An update for those interested: I just did the $14.99/month Faithlife Connect Essentials bundle. It lacks a decent Systematic theology so I will probably have to buy Grudem's for $50 or wait for it to be on sale, or possibly check to see if it comes with Logos Fundamentals. I'm going to give this a fair shake for a couple months as the wife and I absolutely love the Faithlife TV options, and the month we went without wasn't a great month. After that I will probably purchase Logos Fundamentals along with the few things it does not come with that I need. I'll still use the Literal Word bible on my iPhone and iPad for more shallow studies. I appreciate everyone's input!

Actually, what I was referring to re the grid going down was more in the "apocalyptic" vein – the days that are coming when deserved judgments hit various countries. We are near the end, and I anticipate this. These are not ordinary times. Perhaps I am peculiar, but I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Now, in Cyprus, here on sort of a preliminary stay, hoping for it to be permanent – I was able to bring very few books (as well as Bibles and concordance) in my limited luggage due to their weight. Plus electronic equipment. I miss my library sorely, as my books are a vital adjunct of my mind.

Actually, what I was referring to re the grid going down was more in the "apocalyptic" vein – the days that are coming when deserved judgments hit various countries. We are near the end, and I anticipate this. These are not ordinary times. Perhaps I am peculiar, but I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Now, in Cyprus, here on sort of a preliminary stay, hoping for it to be permanent – I was able to bring very few books (as well as Bibles and concordance) in my limited luggage due to their weight. Plus electronic equipment. I miss my library sorely, as my books are a vital adjunct of my mind.
Oh okay makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I like PocketSword for iOS. No Mac option though. Same developer did create one for Mac but I have found it glitchy/unresponsive and difficult to navigate.
It looks like Rick Meyers has developed e-sword for Mac, but I haven’t tried it.

Logos works very well offline. Just download the books and whatever you need.

and for myself, I believe a natural disaster or some misdemeanour by people would threaten a physical library more than an apocalyptic grid going down and also affecting software. You can’t easily destroy something that is uploaded on servers.

Again just my 2 cents.

For me, Logos is great if I want to do deep studies. Olive Tree is great for when I am looking up something on the go. At the house, I prefer a hardcopy. In my opinion a hardcopy still has it's advantages over a digital copy. I have hundreds of ebooks on my Kindle, but always reach for a physical copy if I have it.

I think this way as well. I have been stocking up on hardcopy books just in case this becomes a reality. Of course it really doesn't have to be an 'apocalypse' event that could wipe out large portions of the Internet. (See below for my comments on this subject)

and for myself, I believe a natural disaster or some misdemeanour by people would threaten a physical library more than an apocalyptic grid going down and also affecting software. You can’t easily destroy something that is uploaded on servers.

Again just my 2 cents.
I would disagree on some levels with this. It is true that a physical library is always at risk of fire, natural disaster, theft, or something else. Being in the IT field for two decades now, I am not sold on the idea of anything being in the cloud as being safe. With the ransomware attacks that happened this past year, many large businesses were shown how vulnerable they are. It's really not out of the realm of possibilities that a company like Logos, Olive Tree, etc. could go out of business literally overnight for various reasons (bankruptcy, ransomware, etc.).

A lot of people aren't aware of how common internet outages are for very large companies and for very large portions of different countries at any given time. A major amount of companies nowadays are using server space on companies like Amazon. I have personally had companies that we deal with at my business go down because a portion of Amazon's cloud was down for an extended period. Typically these cloud servers and places where we have our ebooks and other digital media on come back up and are otherwise resilient. However, nothing on the Internet these days is 'bulletproof'. That's why I have a collection of hardcopies and backups of all my digital media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back