Best Hymnal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. M. Sheffield

Puritan Board Graduate
I'm pastoring a traditional Southern Baptist church using the 1991 Baptist Hymnal. It's about time to replace them. I'm not crazy about this hymnal but I also don't mind it. However, its no longer being published. It has been superseded by the 2008 Baptist Hymnal (which I won't tolerate). I really like the Trinity Hymnal (Baptist Edition). But I don't know if it would fly in my church. So I was wondering what Hymnal would be Theologically and historically robust, and baptistic without any of the modern fluff (i.e. Shine Jesus Shine:eek:).

I know that I essentially discribed the Trinity Hymnal but perhaps there's another hymnal out there of which I am unaware.

We love ours (CRC Psalter Hymnal of 1959) but the forms for baptism of infants would likely not be appreciated. (!) Psalms, Hymns, and Ecclesiastical Confessions and Creeds. Oh yeah.

No fluff, and for every 50 you order, you get one free pair of wooden shoes.

I'm pastoring a traditional Southern Baptist church using the 1991 Baptist Hymnal. It's about time to replace them. I'm not crazy about this hymnal but I also don't mind it. However, its no longer being published. It has been superseded by the 2008 Baptist Hymnal (which I won't tolerate). I really like the Trinity Hymnal (Baptist Edition). But I don't know if it would fly in my church. So I was wondering what Hymnal would be Theologically and historically robust, and baptistic without any of the modern fluff (i.e. Shine Jesus Shine:eek:).

I know that I essentially discribed the Trinity Hymnal but perhaps there's another hymnal out there of which I am unaware.

Why don't you think it would fly? I actually ran across a YouTube recording of a congregation singing a song from the TH, and it turns out the church is Pentecostal!

You could tell them that it has songs you'd find in the older Southern Baptist hymnals. At the my previous church, which was SBC, we used the 1975 version. It has a lot of the same hymns as the TH.

Now the hard part is getting them to consider the Confession in the back of it...

-----Added 10/22/2009 at 05:41:46 EST-----

[video=youtube;4HExDqv3gdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HExDqv3gdU[/video]

You would be surprised about 'what flies'. It is worth suggesting. In my congregation (which used the NIV before I came), I was preaching from the ESV and NEVER thought that the NIVs would be gone. I suggested gently to the Session that we consider this version, and it was changed- ZERO controversy.

The Trinity Hymnal is worth trying for- what do you have to lose? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back