Best study bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds fascinating. Could you provide a link, or some more information?

Not to derail the thread on a textual war -- this is merely an observation: given Spurgeon's esteem of the AV, it's a bit ironic that an eclectic textual base like the HCSB utilizes (and I assume, the CSB as well, given its lineage) is being utilized.

Here is the link: http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/products/csb-spurgeon-study-bible-black-genuine-leather-indexed

CHS liked the AV, but he also said that it contained translation errors, and supported the RV in points.

Josh and Stephen,

I take your point. Thanks. I'd read that before, but had forgotten.

(Not intending to badmouth the H/CSB!)

Back to Study Bibles: the Spurgeon SB looks interesting! I appreciate the link!

That sounds fascinating. Could you provide a link, or some more information?

Not to derail the thread on a textual war -- this is merely an observation: given Spurgeon's esteem of the AV, it's a bit ironic that an eclectic textual base like the HCSB utilizes (and I assume, the CSB as well, given its lineage) is being utilized.
He did esteem the KJV, but also thought the 1881 revision did in places give a better rendering of the original text...

I like a couple of Study Bibles that I use:

1. ESV Study Bible has great coverage
2. ESV Reformation Study Bible (First Edition)
3. NKJV Reformation Study Bible (Current Edition)
4. The Geneva Bible 1599 great for everything

I think I like out of all these I use is the 1599 Geneva but the print is starting to bother me they really need a larger type and they were going to do that and nothing happened ................

Josh and Stephen,

I take your point. Thanks. I'd read that before, but had forgotten.

(Not intending to badmouth the H/CSB!)

Back to Study Bibles: the Spurgeon SB looks interesting! I appreciate the link!
The Zondervan Study Bible that recently came out as very good notes. much as the Esv one has, too bad text is Niv 2011...

The Zondervan Study Bible that recently came out as very good notes. much as the Esv one has, too bad text is Niv 2011...

Agreed, David. The ESV SB takes more of a ST focus, while the Z-NIV SB employs more of a BT lens. I enjoy them both.

Joseph mentions the 1599 Geneva above (post #35) -- an incredibly helpful Bible, and the historical aspect is just plain fun.

Agreed, David. The ESV SB takes more of a ST focus, while the Z-NIV SB employs more of a BT lens. I enjoy them both.

Joseph mentions the 1599 Geneva above (post #35) -- an incredibly helpful Bible, and the historical aspect is just plain fun.
The Zondervan notes are quite similar to the Esv, but think that the Esv ones are slightly better overall....
And many do regard the Geneva bible is superior to the KJV itself...

I have the ESV reformation study bible, and the KJV Reformation heritage bible but always open for new ones for my collection.
These are both quality Reformed study Bibles. My advice would be master the truths of these, and more importantly the scriptures themselves, before you go onto another study Bible.

The Literary Study Bible can be quite suggestive of lines of inquiry.

The version that used the Niv Study Bible notes, correct?

Yes, that's correct; they were adapted for the NASB, but originated with the NIV SB.

The Literary Study Bible can be quite suggestive of lines of inquiry.

My wife gave me a copy of the LSB a few years back for my birthday. I agree wholeheartedly, and have given several copies as gifts.

A nice companion to the LSB is IVP's Dictionary of Biblical Imagery (the big purple one). They complement each other well.

Yes, that's correct; they were adapted for the NASB, but originated with the NIV SB.

My wife gave me a copy of the LSB a few years back for my birthday. I agree wholeheartedly, and have given several copies as gifts.

A nice companion to the LSB is IVP's Dictionary of Biblical Imagery (the big purple one). They complement each other well.
I always wanted to purchase that Nas bible, but do not think Zondervan still publishes it though.

I always wanted to purchase that Nas bible, but do not think Zondervan still publishes it though.

It is still available at CBD and likely elsewhere.

The NASB SB (and Zondervan's KJV Study Bible) is based on the 1995 10th Anniversary revision of the NIV SB. I've heard that it doesn't quite have all of the NIV SB resources.

I think that Zondervan NIV/NASB/KJV Study Bibles are ok as a "training wheels" Study Bible, but they punt on too many controversial issues and has always seemed to me to be aimed at a lowest common denominator evangelicalism. No doubt, that is one reason why the NIV Study Bible became so popular. Back in 1985 when it was first published, about the only alternatives were Scofield, Ryrie and some others that have long been forgotten by most people.

There weren't as many choices in the late 90s when it was published. The Reformation Study Bible was only available in the NKJV, as was the MacArthur. About the only choices in the NASB were things like the Ryrie, which would obviously be unacceptable to Reformed people. I do remember the book introductions in the NIV Study Bible being helpful, especially for someone like me who was just beginning to study the Bible and had had to read the New Oxford Annotated Bible in college with its promotion of the documentary hypothesis, denial of traditional authorship of the NT, etc.

There is supposed to be a new NASB Study Bible coming out following the release of the upcoming NASB update. I don't know whether or not it will be a new SB or an adaptation of the NIV SB or some other existing SB.

Last edited:
It's definitely still available. I'm vacationing in Tennessee and stopped by a Lifeway Christian Store. They had it in stock on the shelf.

It looks like the study Bible's Spurgeon notes will be selected by Alistair Begg. Hopefully this means Spurgeon's clear Calvinistic theology will be included.

Josh you should not really promote a Spurgeon study Bible in front of our Presbyterian friends. The danger is that reading a lot of Spurgeon may compel them to head to a baptismal pool. :lol:

It is still available at CBD and likely elsewhere.

The NASB SB (and Zondervan's KJV Study Bible) is based on the 1995 10th Anniversary revision of the NIV SB. I've heard that it doesn't quite have all of the NIV SB resources.

I think that Zondervan NIV/NASB/KJV Study Bibles are ok as a "training wheels" Study Bible, but they punt on too many controversial issues and has always seemed to me to be aimed at a lowest common denominator evangelicalism. No doubt, that is one reason why the NIV Study Bible became so popular. Back in 1985 when it was first published, about the only alternatives were Scofield, Ryrie and some others that have long been forgotten by most people.

There weren't as many choices in the late 90s when it was published. The Reformation Study Bible was only available in the NKJV, as was the MacArthur. About the only choices in the NASB were things like the Ryrie, which would obviously be unacceptable to Reformed people. I do remember the book introductions in the NIV Study Bible being helpful, especially for someone like me who was just beginning to study the Bible and had had to read the New Oxford Annotated Bible in college with its promotion of the documentary hypothesis, denial of traditional authorship of the NT, etc.

There is supposed to be a new NASB Study Bible coming out following the release of the upcoming NASB update. I don't know whether or not it will be a new SB or an adaptation of the NIV SB or some other existing SB.
Do you know when the new Nas will be out then?

It looks like the study Bible's Spurgeon notes will be selected by Alistair Begg. Hopefully this means Spurgeon's clear Calvinistic theology will be included.

Josh you should not really promote a Spurgeon study Bible in front of our Presbyterian friends. The danger is that reading a lot of Spurgeon may compel them to head to a baptismal pool. :lol:
They might also want to check out his understanding of the Second Coming also.

Here's hoping!

My first one was also the NIV Study Bible, still have it. Added W.A. Criswell's 'Believer's' SB, and eventually the MacArthur NKJV, Reformation Heritage KJV, and the ESV SB. So many on this board recommended the Spirit of the Reformation SB that I bought an OUP hardback with clean text block. The notes in that make it worth it even if you have to use a magnifying glass to read them. I picked up the new 2011 NIV SB because D.A. Carson is the editor so how bad could it be.

My first one was also the NIV Study Bible, still have it. Added W.A. Criswell's 'Believer's' SB, and eventually the MacArthur NKJV, Reformation Heritage KJV, and the ESV SB. So many on this board recommended the Spirit of the Reformation SB that I bought an OUP hardback with clean text block. The notes in that make it worth it even if you have to use a magnifying glass to read them. I picked up the new 2011 NIV SB because D.A. Carson is the editor so how bad could it be.
I have found that the study notes between the esv and the Zondervan Niv Study Bibles seem to be pretty close to each other, but I prefer the esv, as like that translation better then the 2011 Niv.

Do you know when the new Nas will be out then?

Late this year at the earliest, but my best guess is that it will be next year. It seems that it keeps getting pushed back. They post periodic updates to the Lockman Foundation Facebook page.

Late this year at the earliest, but my best guess is that it will be next year. It seems that it keeps getting pushed back. They post periodic updates to the Lockman Foundation Facebook page.
I have read somewhere that this new revision was not touching the new testament at all, but was mainly dealing with the OT scriptures, as the NT update was done in 1995 revision.

I have read somewhere that this new revision was not touching the new testament at all, but was mainly dealing with the OT scriptures, as the NT update was done in 1995 revision.

The NT will be brought into conformity with the latest NA/UBS critical text, (more or less) even if they don't do much else. I think the 1995 is at least two editions out of date by this point. That's one of the reasons for doing an update to begin with, even though they've said they will be doing more work on the OT. (That's also one reason why the now abandoned ESV "Permanent Text" idea was half-baked since the ESV is not based on a "Textus Receptus" that basically doesn't change.)

According to the Lockman FB page, apparently it is up in the air as to whether they will use YHWH or the traditional LORD. Making that change may cause some to embrace the NASB who haven't before (or who may have defected to the ESV, etc.) and cause some who think abandoning LORD is a mistake to consider switching to something else.

Last edited:
The NT will be brought into conformity with the latest NA/UBS critical text, (more or less) even if they don't do much else. I think the 1995 is at least two editions out of date by this point. That's one of the reasons for doing an update to begin with, even though they've said they will be doing more work on the OT. (That's also one reason why the now abandoned ESV "Permanent Text" idea was half-baked since the ESV is not based on a "Textus Receptus" that basically doesn't change.)

According to the Lockman FB page, apparently it is up in the air as to whether they will use YHWH or the traditional LORD. Making that change may cause some to embrace the NASB who haven't before (or who may have defected to the ESV, etc.) and cause some who think abandoning LORD is a mistake to consider switching to something else.
I believe that the 1995 revision used the 26th edition of the Nestle Aland Greek text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back