Best theological prose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whose theological writings have the best prose to read if you want to be a better writer?

As others have commented, if you are looking strictly at the use of the English language, you an hardly do better than C.S. Lewis, though his theology is problematic. Because language changes over time, I would recommend contemporary authors, say, those of the last 100 years. D.A. Carson's writing is very clear. Richard Phillips and James Montgomery Boice are two other writers whose prose is clear and readable. Francis Schaeffer is another fine author. I very much benefit from the writing of A.W. Pink, but I would not recommend emulating his style. I could list quite a few others, but when you have C.S. Lewis for a model, there is no need to look further.

Thomas Watson was no mean writer. Read the excerpt below for a taste of Watson's prose.

Contentment is the manna that is laid up in the ark of a good conscience. Oh, take heed of indulging any sin! It is as natural for guilt to breed disquiet as for putrid matter to breed vermin. Sin lies as Jonah in the ship: it raises a tempest. If dust or particles get into the eye, they make the eye water and cause a soreness in it. If the eye is clear, then it is free from that soreness. If sin gets into the conscience, which is the eye of the soul, then grief and disquiet breed there. But keep the eye of conscience clear, and all is well. – Thomas Watson (2019). The Art of Divine Contentment. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back