Bible Dictionary Preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWJ '90

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all. I have quick question regarding Bible Dictionaries. I've noticed that nearly every major Publisher has their own Bible Dictionary (for obviously reasons) which I actually don't find as a bad thing per se. However, I'd love to hear your thoughts as to which Publisher (s) provides the best well-rounded Dictionary.

Below are a few that come to mind (you may think of more if so please feel free to mention them)

Disclaimer, I only have experience with the Thomas Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary 2nd edition which came out in 1995.

1. Thomas Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary (1st, 2nd, or 3rd editions)
2. Zondervan Bible Dictionary
3. Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
4. The New Unger's Bible Dictionary
5. Baker Illustrated Bible Dictionary

By the way, I'm really surprised Crossway hasn't come out with its own Bible Dictionary. Maybe soon?

I've always recommended the second edition of The New Bible Dictionary (Tyndale) edited by Douglas, Bruce, Packer and others.

I like the New Bible Dictionary and the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. I also have the Zondervan one, but I don't use it quite as often.

I wouldn't say there's a huge amount of difference between them. You can get more variety by using one older and one contemporary dictionary than by comparing several new dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back