Bible Reading/Studying Helps? Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_Scott

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello PBers, I hope everyone is doing good.

As the title states, what I'm after is reading/studying helps - plural. Possibly a reading plan(s) that will fit inside the jacket of a Bible cover - 8x10, 10x10, 9x11. I'll be ordering 2 Bibles from CBD Reformed in the near future and I wanted a small book or booklet..., that contains various approaches to reading/studying Scripture, more than simply "through the Bible" in 1/2/5 yrs. There were a number of approaches mentioned in a blog post at Ligonier, Chronological, Historical, etc.

I found this at CBD - Robert Murray M'Cheyne: More Precious Than Gold: Read the Bible in One or Two Years

I've talked with Ligonier, CBD, Crossway, and Family Christian Stores, all said nothing comes to mind in terms of reading plans professionally published (except above), if there's nothing in your Bible, print out a pdf.

Also, my NASB MSB has 50 or so pages on reading/studying the Bible (in-depth), including a thematic approach but the Bible is nearly 30 yrs old, pages are wearing, and the font is too small for my tired eyes. Some of the contents include, the land, people, and languages of the Bible. The early manuscripts. Archaeology of the Bible. It concludes with a long recommendation on studying the many themes in Scripture.

If there exists a source, similiar to the portion of my NASB this would suffice, something I could sit on a shelf.

One option (last resort) for reading plans (locates copyright statement on pdf), is to decide if one of the pdfs from Ligonier looks good printed, and laminated. I know, print a few pages, fold em if need be, reprint em when the old ones fall apart.. I want something that looks a bit more professional though, make a few extras for family members as encouragment to read The Word more.

I asked for advice regarding two different topics (sorry) but I'm open to suggestions on both reading and studying helps - I need to get more organized and purposeful in my own reading/studying :book2:

TIA,

Mike

How much do we know about the history of Bible-reading plans? M'Cheyne's dates back to 1843, but there must be plans that go back even farther in the church's history (obviously, M'Cheyne was not the first person to have this idea; he must have seen other plans before his). It'd be interesting to know, if possible, who came up with the first Bible-reading plan, and when (if it's still extant).

As for M'Cheyne's: did he come up with his from scratch or did he adapt someone else's? Do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back