Biblical Counseling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Pastor
What do the members of this board think of Biblical Counseling? I am currently reading Gary Almay's, How Christian Is Christian Counseling, which renders to a pile of waste Christian counseling that uses secular methods. I've also read An Introducation to Biblical Counseling by John MacArthur, et al, which I found helpful.

I am looking into the MA/PhD Biblical Counseling program at Whitefield Theological Seminary, which is a distance education program. Any knowledge or opinions of this school, especially in regards to the Biblical Counseling program?

How many here are trained in Biblical Counseling, either certified or degreed?

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Read Jay Adams on the subject of Biblical nouthetic counseling!

See: http://www.nanc.org/index.htm

Good Evening Andrew,

Thanks for the link.

Yes, I should have mentioned Jay Adams, the granddaddy of the modern Biblical Counseling movement. I've been to the NANC site many times and I learned a lot about the BC movement and am convinced that this is the way to go.

What I was wondering is: how many board members here adhere to BC and practice it and how might be certified and/or degreed in the discipline?

Originally posted by ILKKA
Biblical Counseling
I once heard Larry Crabb (junior ) give a talk - and read many of his books in the 1980's. He proposed a model of man based on circles: volitional circle, emotional circle, and a few others I have forgotten. Whether Crabb has modified these I don't know. Today I am more likely to say find someone wise - that quality makes for a good counsellor provided he also fears God. The example of Solomon has always worried me - his father was David (who had trouble with women) and like father like son, only David was better off in his old age than Soloman.
Shop around . . .

Thanks, not looking for counselor....yet :lol:

Originally posted by ILKKA
Ivan

I know, does your query have anything to do with 'professional development'?

Yes, indeed. However, at the moment, financial considerations, I'm afraid, will hinder me from pursuing a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back