my only objection to your most wise assertion is... after growing up in churches who skirted all my questions and didn't even fully teach their own views, I feel compelled to investigate the scriptures of my own accord! LOL!
That may be wise...Acts 17:11
This is very wise. In my own experience I have encountered, with great sadness, the IDEA that the creeds, confessions and catechisms can't be wrong because: 1.) they are historical 2.) they were written by very learned men, and 3.) should I "actually pretend like I know better."
Dallas,
If you are speaking of historic confessions, in confessional denominations, like the Westminster Standards in Presbyterianism-
they never have claimed to be infallible, and that is explicit, e.g. in the PCA preamble, which reflects historic Presbyterianism on that point.
And we don't want to discount the witness of church history lightly.
The definition of a confessional church is a confessed doctrine, one that is believed to be a faithful summary of what the Scriptures teach. It's not a matter of individual members, whether new "babes" in Christ learning doctrine for the first time, or more seasoned members to individually determine all doctrine. And, the covenantal nature of the church also involves peaceably studying the church's doctrine, not publicly challenging it (apart from amendment process).
I understand your position quite clearly and the position of any confessional church, after all I am ordained by such a church. I also understand the position of members the Confessional take of ANY member not undermining the Scriptures, Confessions, Creeds and Catechisms. Is someone "publicly challenging it"? Is the "public challenge" in the BCO somewhere? If it is and a member is not aware of it, is it good to give caution to the member who may be challenging any part of the 3 C's, or better yet "being challenged?" I'm just wondering if this doesn't remind us of Roman Catholicism.
All three of these points are well taken; however, just like those that enunciate the arguments holding steadfastly to the 3 C's, I too say that they are infallible.
I think you mean "fallible" (capable of fault) not "infallible." Who are you saying holds the "3 C's" infallible?
Yes, I did mean fallible. I work 3rd shift and sometimes mind-to-finger coordination is off a little bit. I'm not saying that anyone "holds the 3C's infallible." If you replace the word "infallible" with the correct word, "fallible" you will see that what I meant to say is, "All three of these points are well taken; however, just like those that enunciate the arguments holding steadfastly to the '3 C's', I too say they are fallible."
It's amazing what our presuppositions will do to the Scriptures when our thoughts aren't ready to be tried.
Tried by who?
Tried by Scripture itself. Should the Scriptures determine what we are to believe, or the 3C's? What happens if the 3C's do not line completely square with Scripture? If the 3C's do not completely square with Scripture, are we to simply forget what Scripture is pointing towards and go with the 3C's? I know, I'm begging the question. My point is, dear friend, is even though any preamble may clearly deem the fallibility of men and the infallibility of Scripture, holding those 3C's, not only as doctrinal statements, but as highly as they are in any reformed, confessional church must not be done. Most Synods, Presbyteries, and Consistories will not ever admit that this is what is done, but I have witnessed otherwise. My own personal witness.
And, I should add how dangerous it is when the church tells us what we must believe in order to become a member,
But the church exists to inform its members what the Scripture says. What other reason for it exists?
Occasionally, it may speak that truth to an unbelieving world.
Dallas,
In reformed theology, the church is much more than a loose association of consenting adults, each independently and authoritatively evaluating doctrine for themselves.
That's closer to what broad evangelicalism assumes, but not historic Christianity.
Yes, I agree. I'm not going to spend my time splitting hairs with you in regards to this. Perhaps you don't know, because you don't know me, but you are preaching to choir in regards to what reformed theology is and the role of the church. Forgive me if I use too much candor, my intention is to not be impolite to you.
The Church is there to inform the entire population of what Scripture says, and there is no other reason for it because any other reason is plainly taught within Scripture itself. However, the lens through which Scripture is taught is not only that of the 3C's. The 3C's simply declare a systematic doctrine of confession.
Here is an example for you, a very simple one. Let's take the Apostle's Creed. In the back of every Red Hymnal in the PCA the Apostle's Creed is there for us to read, and to openly confess together as a congregation. The Teaching Elder asks, "Believers, what do you believe?" The believers respond by reciting the Creed. Within the Creed it says, "I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth." It goes on to declare what the Son and the Holy Ghost. To many the Creed is declaring the Economic Trinity. If this were the case, one could make a very good argument that the Creed needs amended, and could hold an exception to this Creed, because doesn't Scripture teach us that all things were created by, for, to, and through Christ (Rom. 11:36; Col. 1:16). Also, doesn't John 1:1-3 say "...All things came into being through Him, and apart form Him nothing came into being that has come into being"? According to what I understand you saying, if I do not "hold steadfastly" to what the Creed says, and publicly challenge it, like I am doing right now, I should be held accountable and be discipled for it. Is that correct?
or to not come under discipline if we don't believe jot and tittle to the 3 C's. Boy, do I have stories!