Book Suggestion - Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osnah

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been doing a 'Bible Study' with my sons and some of their friends for a while now. We recently finished a book on theology. I plan on having them go through a book on Bible Interpretation.

I have read "Living by the Book" twice before. However, I do not think that this book is ideal for a group of teenagers being that it is a longer read. I have been debating going through "Knowing Scripture", however I have not read that one. Is there a book that anyone would suggest regarding Bible interpretation?

Thanks

What is it that you want your boys to grow in? Understanding each book of the bible? Would a Bible overview book help? Or do you want a book on hermeneutics?

I suggest Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics, by Goldsworthy. If you find it a bit too technical, you can warm them up to it by reading Gospel and Kingdom, the first in the Goldsworthy Trilogy.

The first book I mentioned is more advanced, actually, and is intended as collegiate/seminary level. The second book is a more preparatory volume. The advantages Goldsworthy has above most of the competitors is clarity of writing, unified theological task, and Vosian biblical theology.

I suggest Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics, by Goldsworthy. If you find it a bit too technical, you can warm them up to it by reading Gospel and Kingdom, the first in the Goldsworthy Trilogy.
I will look into Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics. I fear that it will be a bit too technical, which is fine for me. However, my concern is that my sons don't read much. My middle son's girlfriend is a new-believer. She likes to read (as does her friend that comes), but I fear that it may be a daunting task for all involved. I was hoping to order their books this week, but may hold off so that I can read the Goldsworthy book first. Thanks.

What is it that you want your boys to grow in? Understanding each book of the bible? Would a Bible overview book help? Or do you want a book on hermeneutics?
Maybe I should add more context here.

I have been teaching my sons for several years now. We have gone over general theology and briefly touched on hermeneutics in the past. This past year, my middle son got a girlfriend. She is a new-believer and has no support at home with discipleship. She has a friend that has been in church her whole life and professes to be a Christian. I invited them both to a weekly study and they are truly excited about learning. We have been meeting every week since March (this year).

Having said that, we recently finished Grudem's "Christian Beliefs" book as a way to introduce doctrine to them. Having laid a foundation for doctrine, my goal was to teach them how we would go about interpreting the Bible. We are in an area where we have a lot of dispenstational churches around us. I want to show them the tools of how to go about determining if what they hear is sound. Therefore, my thinking was to have them go through a book on hermenuetics. My plan is to go through a book on interpretation each week and then take an often misquoted verse(s) and show them how it is misquoted and how to go about determining the true interpretation.

Derke Bergsma, Redemptionm: The Triumph of God's Great Plan. Written for the HS aged, this book zeroes in on the core message, the promise of a Son. Provides a great introduction into how to read the Bible covenantally. (Comparable to Vaughn Roberts, God's Big Picture, a popularization of Goldsworthy's trilogy; I think Bergsma is better.)

For Goldsworthy, know that you would be getting an approach that is very heavy on biblical-theological themes and very light on other elements of interpretation. An unbalanced exegete in my opinion but somewhat helpful for those who are new to BT.

For Goldsworthy, know that you would be getting an approach that is very heavy on biblical-theological themes and very light on other elements of interpretation. An unbalanced exegete in my opinion but somewhat helpful for those who are new to BT.
I can't agree with this assessment. The best thing about his hermeneutical textbook is actually his focus on the complete interdependence of all the theological disciplines. He goes out of his way to say this kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back