Books for the prayer closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Which book(s), other than the Bible, has been most influential in your prayer life? What was it that you liked most about the book?

I'm going to read "The Prayer Life" by Andrew Murray next. Has anybody read this book? What'd you think of it?

I'm looking forward to reading this book. Some of the words on the back cover make me think it might be a good one:

"Thank God I am beginning to comprehend!"

"I had not supposed that just as He will give all other grace in answer to prayer, so, above all and before all, He will bestow the grace of a praying heart. What folly to think that all other blessings must come from Him, but that prayer, whereon everything else depends, must be obtained by personal effort!"

Prayerlessness plagues every child of God. In The Prayer Life, Andrew Murray proposes a workable solution with rare insight and practical suggestions.

The Secret of Communion with God by Matthew Henry has been the most influential book that I have read as applied to my prayer life.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'll see if I can get my hands on them.

I'm about 2/3 done with The Prayer Life and its turning out to be a very good book. It strikes me as I read the book how we can gain much confidence in improving our prayer life when we rely on God's grace. Its interesting how practical the doctrines of grace are in every area of our lives.

Originally posted by Irishcat922
Communion with God by Owens
Prayer by Bunyan
I think I may go with Bunyan's book next. I poked around the church library after this morning's service and saw that they had three copies of the book. Usually I like to buy the books, but I figure I might as well take advantage of the church's excellent library.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
The Secret of Communion with God by Matthew Henry has been the most influential book that I have read as applied to my prayer life.
This book looks entreaging. Here's a little blurp I found about it online:

"How to begin the day with God, how to spend the day with God, how to close the day with God... three simple lines of thought compose the divisions of this precious little book."

Originally posted by Scot
The Power in Prayer - Spurgeon
The Valley of Vision - various
Dan,
Thanks for the recommendations. Just from the reviews I've read, The Valley of Vision seems like a great book to read, not only for the value of the prayers contained in the book and because it'd be a good resource for improving ones prayer life, but also to get to know the 'heart of the puritans' a little better.

I'm gonna have to spend more time in the church library to see if they have this and some of the other books that have been mentioned. When I go into the library, I'm like a child in a candy shop - so much good stuff, mostly by or about the puritans.

Dan,
Thanks for the recommendations. Just from the reviews I've read, The Valley of Vision seems like a great book to read, not only for the value of the prayers contained in the book and because it'd be a good resource for improving ones prayer life, but also to get to know the 'heart of the puritans' a little better.

I'm gonna have to spend more time in the church library to see if they have this and some of the other books that have been mentioned. When I go into the library, I'm like a child in a candy shop - so much good stuff, mostly by or about the puritans.

Yeah, if I didn't know better, I'd say the Valley of Vision was inspired. I think it's awesome. I highly recommend getting yourself a copy.

I'm the same way when I go to a library. Actually, I hate going because I can't keep or mark up any of the books.

The Valley of Vision is my all-time prayer book. Several good devotional books are The Thought of God and Great God of Wonders, both by Maurice Roberts.

Thanks Fred, I have that on my shelf and was trying to think of the name of it. Duncan edited it, didn't he? The outlines in it are especially useful. Another good one is Samuel Miller's book on Public Prayer. Also, the last chapter of Dabney's Evangelical Eloquence is on public prayer (some of the principles can apply generally, though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back