Booting Premillennialism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Forge

Puritan Board Freshman
The Lord regenerated my heart on 11/2/2022 in which my journey began. I immediately fell into the Peter Ruckman crowd and dispensationalism. Later, I moved away from Ruckman and was a Pure Calvinist yet still holding onto dispensationalism. After-which, on July 9th, the Lord guided me to understand covenant theology yet still grasping onto dispensationalism. I only cared about the pre-trib rapture aspect and not the rest of it. Today, I have officially booted dispensationalism and premillennialism as whole to align with Amillennialism. We all take various roads with swerves and curves along the journey and I am sure there is more to come.
 
Friend, you are early in your life as a believer. Read the Scriptures carefully and make sure you sit under sound preaching. Don't worry so much about labels and declaring your theological camp. By declaring your position first you are much more vulnerable to trying to read your interpretation back into the Scriptures. I think doctrine is great, but let the Scriptures speak for themselves and attend carefully to the preached word.
 
Friend, you are early in your life as a believer. Read the Scriptures carefully and make sure you sit under sound preaching. Don't worry so much about labels and declaring your theological camp. By declaring your position first you are much more vulnerable to trying to read your interpretation back into the Scriptures. I think doctrine is great, but let the Scriptures speak for themselves and attend carefully to the preached word.

This is the kind of advice I wish I'd gotten when I was a new believer. I learned it later on in my Christian walk.

This is very sound.
 
Friend, you are early in your life as a believer. Read the Scriptures carefully and make sure you sit under sound preaching. Don't worry so much about labels and declaring your theological camp. By declaring your position first you are much more vulnerable to trying to read your interpretation back into the Scriptures. I think doctrine is great, but let the Scriptures speak for themselves and attend carefully to the preached word.
That is sound advice however, I have also spent 426 hrs studying eschatology since 11/2/2022. I state this to show I do not make this decision lightly nor without understanding. Why did I hang on to the pre-trib rapture long after the scriptures proved it not to be? Because of the desperation to leave this world and be with the Lord.
 
If you are early and are prepared to learn both scripturally and historically from a victorious foundation of His Kingdom come and His will be done on earth as it is in heaven, you might want to immerse yourself in the teachings of Joseph P Morecraft III. The church has been emasculated through defeatism which necessitates submission and therefore Godly manhood has become effeminate. Victory necessitates action according to roles and responsibilities in the expansion and defense of that victory won by superior authority and power of Righteousness and Justice in Jesus case, by men He has fully equipped to do so by writing that authority of righteousness and power of justice upon their heart and spirit in regeneration, that which was lost by the first Adam, has been returned by the Last Adam, The authority of righteousness and power of justice to build His kingdom come and his will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Joseph P Morecraft III is one of the most well read and scripturally sound teachers, who combines not only a perspicuity regarding conveying the foundational righteousness that undergirds the words of Scripture, the Spirit of Christ, but the wisdom of their application to the contingencies of life and he takes that further to give examples of history throughout his teachings and especially in his series called The History of the Reformation.

This will give you an incredibly deep exposure to truth on many levels unified by the one Spirit of Righteousness and Justice. His work gave me what I needed to begin experiencing what the beatitude means when Jesus speaks of the hunger and thirst for righteousness that rises in a newborn Christian, that we "will be filled."

May God bless your journey and fill you the knowledge of God in spirit and in truth. I pray you be blessed with knowledge in spirit, which is our ability given us in regeneration, to perceive by faith, by Christ's eyes, ears and heart / Spirit. And may God bless you in the reflection of Truth which comes through our recognition by faith's apprehension, of God's application of Righteousness and Justice, perceived by faith, in spirit, to the circumstantial and relational reality around us and our growing ability through sanctification's maturing in trial and error, in humility and quietness of the flesh and trust in the promises, to live in reflection of that faithful recognition of Him who is Truth.

In Christ my brother...
 
I appreciate you detailed reply and of course your prayer. As my journey continues just a tad over a year, I stick with but a few preachers, the Puritans and of course the Scriptures.
 
If you are early and are prepared to learn both scripturally and historically from a victorious foundation of His Kingdom come and His will be done on earth as it is in heaven, you might want to immerse yourself in the teachings of Joseph P Morecraft III. The church has been emasculated through defeatism which necessitates submission and therefore Godly manhood has become effeminate. Victory necessitates action according to roles and responsibilities in the expansion and defense of that victory won by superior authority and power of Righteousness and Justice in Jesus case, by men He has fully equipped to do so by writing that authority of righteousness and power of justice upon their heart and spirit in regeneration, that which was lost by the first Adam, has been returned by the Last Adam, The authority of righteousness and power of justice to build His kingdom come and his will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Joseph P Morecraft III is one of the most well read and scripturally sound teachers, who combines not only a perspicuity regarding conveying the foundational righteousness that undergirds the words of Scripture, the Spirit of Christ, but the wisdom of their application to the contingencies of life and he takes that further to give examples of history throughout his teachings and especially in his series called The History of the Reformation.

This will give you an incredibly deep exposure to truth on many levels unified by the one Spirit of Righteousness and Justice. His work gave me what I needed to begin experiencing what the beatitude means when Jesus speaks of the hunger and thirst for righteousness that rises in a newborn Christian, that we "will be filled."

May God bless your journey and fill you the knowledge of God in spirit and in truth. I pray you be blessed with knowledge in spirit, which is our ability given us in regeneration, to perceive by faith, by Christ's eyes, ears and heart / Spirit. And may God bless you in the reflection of Truth which comes through our recognition by faith's apprehension, of God's application of Righteousness and Justice, perceived by faith, in spirit, to the circumstantial and relational reality around us and our growing ability through sanctification's maturing in trial and error, in humility and quietness of the flesh and trust in the promises, to live in reflection of that faithful recognition of Him who is Truth.

In Christ my brother...
As a daughter of the Reformation, I have a great deal of appreciation for those who wish to challenge the status quo. However, when dissention becomes a major characteristic in someone's life, it's a time to be cautious.

As a very young person and believer, I was at Chalcedon when trips took me to Atlanta in 1980-85, attended a few conferences there with RJ Rushdoony, and was a member of a church that swirled right on the edge of the ones that pulled out of the PCA to form the first of, what, how many new denominations when each of the last proved to be not "totally reformed"? (My church stayed in the PCA.)

I can credit Joe Morecraft for making a lot of southerners question the then-common notion that Christians should not concern themselves with something so worldly as politics. He also was a skilled orator in the classic southern tradition. But his willingness to conflate the church and state; his leaving one step ahead of Presbytery discipline; the forming, reforming and moving of churches (I can't even figure out what become of the original Chalcedon church); and the forming and reforming of denominations suggest a level of dissention that should stand as a caution to a believer. Look for the fruit of the spirit in a person's life and ministry.
 
Hello @mtnmanofGod (will you give your name?),

You said, "The church has been emasculated through defeatism which necessitates submission and therefore Godly manhood has become effeminate."

That sounds like some I have heard coming from an eschatological view promoting the view that "victory" involves having the nations enter a golden age of sorts where righteousness is widespread across the earth, and that anything less is "defeatism". Joe Moreland, godly as he may be in his walk and heart, is not an exemplar of Biblical fidelity.

I think Talib / @Shadow Forge does well in cleaving to the Amillennial view that sees "victory" in faithfulness to Christ and spiritual integrity despite persecution and even death, as our Lord – "the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame" Heb 12:2KJV) – set the example for us of what victory really is. His great victory was thought by some as utter defeat – death as a supposed criminal and blasphemer – though in truth it was the destruction of death, and of the satanic regime that held the power of death and sin.

It is not by any means "defeatism" to hold to the clear Scriptural teaching that the church will be nearly decimated at the end of the age by the dragon, the beast, and the false prophet that have gathered the nations to war against the saints, "to the battle of that great day of God Almighty" (Rev 16:13KJV, Rev16:14KJV). The LORD says of this battle where it seems we are defeated,

"As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us."​

Resurrection turns what seems disaster into the greatest victory in God's eyes – and in truth and reality.

To promote any other view is to give His precious flock false understanding, false hope. Such is to be despised, though its promoters are to be loved as brethren, albeit erring.
 
Last edited:
Dump the dispensationalism. Keep the premillennialism. The latter has been around a lot longer than the former.
 
Hello Richard,

Dispensationalism has not been mentioned in this thread, though indeed it should be dumped. Premillennialism posits three ages, the literal thousand years of the LORD reigning from Jerusalem over a new age of peace and shalom, besides the present age, and the final eternal age, which contradicts the Scripture's two ages, this present evil age (Gal 1:4), and the eternal age:

Only two ages [aiōn], also translated world [the KJV which I use usually translates aiōn as world instead of age]

Matt 12:32 whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world [age], neither in the world [age] to come.

Matt 13:39, 40, 49 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world . . . So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just

Luke 18:29, 30 There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

Luke 20:34, 35 The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage

Eph 1:20-21 [God set Christ] at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come

No three ages in the New Testament era, disqualifying the premil paradigm.
 
To promote any other view is to give His precious flock false understanding, false hope. Such is to be despised, though its promoters are to be loved as brethren, albeit erring.
Brother, these words are a bit uncharitable. None of the confessional standards accepted on this board make such a specific claim - the standards are, instead, very charitable in allowing different views. Some contain a very real hope held by post-millennialists (for example, see Larger Catechism Q/A 191 and Heidelberg Catechism Q/A 123). I am not sure it is even possible to hold to the original Westminster Confession - which identifies "the Pope of Rome" as "that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition" (25.6) - without exception and hold to your view.

I know you do not hold to the original Westminster Confession, but we should all exercise caution condemning something as false, in error, and to be despised that is accepted on this board. Many of the Puritans valued on this board also disagree with your singular claim.

You often frame post-millennialism with these words:
coming from an eschatological view promoting the view that "victory" involves having the nations enter a golden age
But no post-millennialist uses this terminology. They use the terminology of our standards: "...we pray, that the kingdom of sin and Satan may be destroyed, the gospel propagated throughout the world, the Jews called, the fulness of the Gentiles brought in; the church furnished with all gospel officers and ordinances, purged from corruption, countenanced and maintained by the civil magistrate: that the ordinances of Christ may be purely dispensed, and made effectual to the converting of those that are yet in their sins, and the confirming, comforting, and building up of those that are already converted: that Christ would rule in our hearts here, and hasten the time of his second coming, and our reigning with him forever: and that he would be pleased so to exercise the kingdom of his power in all the world, as may best conduce to these ends" (WLC 191). Do you think our standrads are telling us to pray for something that is a "false hope"? Consider the similar words in the standards you subscribe to: "Thy kingdom come. That is... Preserve and increase Thy church. Destroy the works of the devil, every power that raises itself against Thee, and every conspiracy against Thy holy Word. Do all this until the fulness of Thy kingdom comes, wherein Thou shalt be all in all" (HC 123). How does your view align with the standards you confess? Or do you take exceptions from your stated standards?
 
Amillennialist here and I do want to leave this world and be with the Lord.
We all do - but that does not mean we should be so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good. As Paul put it, "Nevertheless, we are bold, and love rather to remove out of the body, and to dwell with the Lord. Wherefore also we covet, that both dwelling at home, and removing from home, we may be acceptable to him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that every man may receive the things which are done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or evil." (II Cor.5.8-10)
 
We all do - but that does not mean we should be so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good. As Paul put it, "Nevertheless, we are bold, and love rather to remove out of the body, and to dwell with the Lord. Wherefore also we covet, that both dwelling at home, and removing from home, we may be acceptable to him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that every man may receive the things which are done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or evil." (II Cor.5.8-10)

No one disagrees with that. But to be honest I would much rather be in heaven than laboring to get local candidates to Congress (which I have done, incidentally).
 
Hello Andrew,

You said re the term, "Golden age", "But no post-millennialist uses this terminology. They use the terminology of our standards". Ken Gentry uses it, Joe Morecraft mentioned above as well – and many other postmil folks (Loraine Boettner for another).

I can affirm the Heidelberg at 123; that is not against the Amil view at all. As for the WLC at 191, likewise.

The issue I have with the postmil view is that it gives the understanding it will be a long time before the gospel triumphs across the world, but things will get better, and there will eventually be an age of spiritual prosperity when the world is "Christianized" – an age quite distinct from this present evil age.

It is plainly unbiblical, i.e., without Biblical warrant.

One of the things about eschatology is that it is still in flux – one of the very few doctrines that is – and thus the confessions are wise to leave some vagueness intact. It is for us, of this present time, to search the Word and discern what it says, as well discerning the times.

You used the phrase that we should not be "so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good". There's some truth in that, but to use it to imply that we are to be less spiritual and devote more energy to making this world "a better place to live", i.e., to transform society, is not sound. Indeed, we are to stand against corruption and wickedness and evil laws, and seek to relieve poverty, oppression, and suffering, but Gospel presentation is to be our first work.

You were irenic and gentle (which I appreciate) when you said of my using words such as false and erring, and saying that false teaching is to be despised, "Brother, these words are a bit uncharitable" – but here we are at the end of the age, or nearly so, and darkness is coming upon the earth as a flood, and the postmil view is blinding the eyes of many. Should I keep silent when the Bible is erroneously interpreted, especially in matters pertaining to these times? I also seek to be irenic – for I am among precious brothers and sisters – but I will not be mealy-mouthed when plain speech is called for! We are in perilous times, especially countries such as America, the U.K., and other parts of the West that exult in wickedness, and judgment is in the wings. Not minor judgment, but major, seismic.

We should be spiritually preparing for disaster, preparing our churches, families, and loved ones. This is why "so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good" doesn't sit well with me. It is the heavenly minded that will be a blessing when darkness falls.

The postmils and premils will be in too great shock and trauma to be of much help. The amils who are truly godly will bring hope and courage to many.
 
But no post-millennialist uses this terminology.
I was referring to classic post-mil Puritans, not what I would consider the modern reconstruction/theonomy types.
"so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good". There's some truth in that, but to use it to imply that we are to be less spiritual and devote more energy to making this world "a better place to live", i.e., to transform society, is not sound.
I meant nothing of the sort. I believe if a Christian is truly heavenly minded they cannot not be doing earthly good. It's not a case of doing one or the other (or less of one and more of the other) - to truly do one you must be doing the other.
The issue I have with the postmil view is that it gives the understanding it will be a long time before the gospel triumphs across the world
Meanwhile in the amil view we are already at 2000 years and counting...
We are in perilous times, especially countries such as America, the U.K., and other parts of the West that exult in wickedness, and judgment is in the wings.
I agree. But I also see great hope in Africa and Asia. It's not unlikely that there are more faithful Christians right now in China and India than in the rest of the world combined.
...here we are at the end of the age, or nearly so, and darkness is coming upon the earth as a flood...
Or maybe it's just coming for the apostatizing nations you mentioned above. As it has in many ages.
the gospel triumphs across the world, but things will get better, and there will eventually be an age of spiritual prosperity when the world is "Christianized" ...It is plainly unbiblical, i.e., without Biblical warrant.
It is not so plain or without warrant to many of us, but there are enough threads on this already so I don't want to start another. My main issue is the nature and tenor of your charges against those who disagree with you and yet are fully valid confessional beliefs.
 
Hello Andrew,

You said, "But no post-millennialist uses this terminology [ 'Golden age']." And when I disputed that you said, "I was referring to classic post-mil Puritans...", and I would respond, "Sure, why not bypass a few centuries, and ignore all theological thought and development since?!"

And you continued, "...not what I would consider the modern reconstruction/theonomy types."

Loraine Boettner is certainly not of the reconstruction/theonomy school, and he is a stalwart postmil scholar and propounder. He writes on this wise:

​
“We have defined Postmillennialism as that view of the last things which holds that the Kingdom of God is now being extended in the world through the preaching of the Gospel and the saving work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of individuals, that the world eventually is to be Christianized, and that the return of Christ is to occur at the close of a long period of righteousness and peace commonly called the ‘Millennium.’ It should be added that on postmillennial principles the second coming of Christ will be followed immediately by the general resurrection, the general judgment, and the introduction of heaven and hell in their fullness. The Millennium to which the Postmillennialist looks forward is thus a golden age of spiritual prosperity during this present dispensation, that is, during the Church age, and is to be brought about through forces now active in the world. It is an indefinitely long period of time, perhaps much longer than a literal one thousand years. The changed character of individuals will be reflected in an uplifted social, economic, political and cultural life of mankind. The world at large will then enjoy a state of righteousness such as at the present time has been seen only in relatively small and isolated groups, as for example in some family circles, some local church groups and kindred organizations. This does not mean that there ever will be a time on this earth when every person will be a Christian, or that all sin will be abolished. But it does mean that evil in all its many forms eventually will be reduced to negligible proportions, that Christian principles will be the rule, not the exception, and that Christ will return to a truly Christianized world,” (The Millennium, New Jersey, P&R Pub, 1986, p. 14)​


I said, of postmil doctrine, when it states: "the gospel triumphs across the world, but things will get better, and there will eventually be an age of spiritual prosperity when the world is 'Christianized'" ..."It is plainly unbiblical, i.e., without Biblical warrant."

And you responded, "It is not so plain or without warrant to many of us...who disagree with you and yet [hold these as] fully valid confessional beliefs."

(I'll get to your "main issue [of] the nature and tenor of [my] charges" in a moment.)

I had said earlier (in my post # 17), "One of the things about eschatology is that it is still in flux – one of the very few doctrines that is – and thus the confessions are wise to leave some vagueness intact. It is for us, of this present time, to search the Word and discern what it says, as well discerning the times."

One may clearly see (for I am writing to all those looking upon this conversation, Andrew, not just you) that I stated the confessions we highly value were wise to leave some vagueness as regards eschatology, as understanding will not be given re the very end times until they come. As was told Daniel, "And he [the angel] said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end" (Dan 12:9).

Stuart Olyott in his, Dare to Stand Alone: Daniel Simply Explained, comments on this:

“We must realize that some of the Bible’s teachings relating to the very last days will not be understood until we are in those days. That is why it is both unwise and dangerous to draw up detailed timetables of future events. Some parts of the Word of God will not become obvious in their meaning until the days of which they speak have dawned.” (p 166)​

I note that you did not really answer my assertion regarding postmillennialism: "It is plainly unbiblical, i.e., without Biblical warrant". Instead you glossed over that and say instead, what you hold "are fully valid confessional beliefs." I grant you they are acceptable confessionally. I admit this due to the wise vagueness of the confessions in this matter. I said Biblical warrant. I myself do not equivocate when I speak. Please do not do this yourself. And when I say Biblical warrant, I would like you to present New Testament warrant for your position.

Finally, as to "the nature and tenor of [my] charges": I have made no charges! We are not in a judicial situation where I charge someone with wrongdoing, i.e., level an accusation that is actionable in an ecclesial court! Are you not used to spirited debate / discussion over spiritual / Biblical topics? I freely grant that your view is acceptable on Puritanboard, due to the wise vagueness of the divines who framed the confessions. It is given to us to "duke it out" as it were – friendly sparring among brothers (have you never sparred in boxing, or martial arts with a friend?) – seeking to ascertain what is the sound doctrine on a topic in light of the Scriptural, and any other evidences, in a controversy?

As for the "tenor" of my speech (its spirit or character), I have dealt with you rather gently and brotherly, and not as I would an enemy and attacker, say, a demon, or an antichrist. I would be more severe, as the Lord led.
 
Last edited:
The Millennium to which the Postmillennialist looks forward is thus a golden age of spiritual prosperity during this present dispensation, that is, during the Church age, and is to be brought about through forces now active in the world.
I agree that Boettner is a historic post-mil stalwart. I stand corrected that a historic post-mil has used the term "golden age" to refer to the Millennium - my concern is that I too often see this phrase used to inappropriately describe the post-mil hope (for example, you recently stated on PB that "The postmil golden age, where mosaic law is adhered to — and required of all — and the remainder of mankind apart from the genuine church is "Christianized", is nonetheless carnal, even though "religious")."
I would like you to present New Testament warrant for your position.
Brother, as I stated:
there are enough threads on this [the Biblical warrant for the post-mil position] already so I don't want to start another.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top