Bought my grave

Status
Not open for further replies.

staythecourse

Puritan Board Junior
Yep you read right.

At 41 I bought the plot where, if I die in the near future, I have a place to rest these bones. Should family come along things can always get moved around, more space, etc.

Now, I am not known for my planning ability but for all you all who know you are going to die (yes should the Lord tarry), have you made arrangements and have you passed them on to those who love you and whom you love? Do them a favor and perhaps prompt a sobering thought about their eternity.

If your family does not talk of death, as in avoids it, you need to wake them up to the fact that you (and they) will die and you had the foresight to take care of things with "the tent you are leaving behind" It's really unkind not to make things ready for them since they are going to be grieving and not likely to make good decisions.

Do them, and yourself, a favor and get things ready out of love to them.

Based on experience, conversations get serious and loving and you hear your parents say things you would not have thought them say.

I also read the arrangements out forefather made long, long ago (Abraham) and the burials that followed. Sobering and also good things for us to consider. Sometimes I catch glimpses of how short and insignificant my life will be.
 
One thing I believe we are to teach our children is how to die. It will be one of the most important things we do. It also will reflect what we know about truth and our meeting with God face to face. It is a process. Some are faster than others but I do believe the significance of our preparation and testimony will teach our families and friends how to die and how to die right.

How to die right is important. And how we do it teaches. That is one thing I learned from my talks with Dr. Roy Blackwood my Reformed Presbyterian Pastor.
 
Lord's Day sermon was on the brevity of life and afterwards I drove out to the plot and tried to get a dose of reality of my being 6 feet under surrounded by the dead, some to be raised to life and others to condemnation. I won't be too far away from a big car dealer here in Kentucky. What's the proverb, "kings and paupers" all go to the same place?
 
One thing I believe we are to teach our children is how to die. It will be one of the most important things we do. It also will reflect what we know about truth and our meeting with God face to face. It is a process. Some are faster than others but I do believe the significance of our preparation and testimony will teach our families and friends how to die and how to die right.

How to die right is important. And how we do it teaches. That is one thing I learned from my talks with Dr. Roy Blackwood my Reformed Presbyterian Pastor.

Amen, Randy! If one reads much Piper he really stresses that the Christian learn to live well for Christ so when the time comes he/she can die well for Christ.

I also once heard MacArthur say that death is nothing to fear but rather something to look forward to because it is a doorway to bring us into the presence of our Lord Jesus. :sing:
 
I have an irrational fear of being buried alive so my wife is directed to make sure I am buried above ground.

Eesh! I'm extremely claustrophobic, so the thought of being buried alive is very painful to me as well.

I got trapped on Mission:Space at Epcot last week and it wasn't a pretty thing. For those that aren't familiar with the ride, it is a flight simulator where four to five people are crammed in a little cockpit and strapped in. The ride never started and we sat there for about 7-10 minutes without being able to get out. I was literally banging on the door for them to let us out!!
 
I was trapped in an elevator once (I think I hit some button out of curiosity)

Anyway, I hit another button which notified some woman that someone was stuck in the elevator.

She would check on me every once in a while until I thought it was funny. I finally said, "I hate to say this, but I think I'm going into labor." She didn't miss a beat and said "Take deep breathes."
 
See, I could handle being trapped on an elevator because I wouldn't be strapped in. On this STUPID ride I was strapped in over my shoulders and I could hardly move. But I did have enough arm movement to bang the door like a crazy man. :lol:
 
Wise decision I would say! I agree and I also did that years ago and probably saved some $ as like everything else the price has risen on gravesites!

I can really appreciate that as, though I'm enjoying good health and a giant measure of His grace today on my 77th birthday I know that when He calls me home my family wont have to have that added concern!

How great He is and how thankful we should be for each single day! We only have it by His grace! Its the greatest thing to thank Him for on awakening each day! Also on birthdays there is so much to thank Him for and I will be doing that as I am wined and dined today by friends! Soli deo gloria!
 
Wise decision I would say! I agree and I also did that years ago and probably saved some $ as like everything else the price has risen on gravesites!

I can really appreciate that as, though I'm enjoying good health and a giant measure of His grace today on my 77th birthday I know that when He calls me home my family wont have to have that added concern!

How great He is and how thankful we should be for each single day! We only have it by His grace! Its the greatest thing to thank Him for on awakening each day! Also on birthdays there is so much to thank Him for and I will be doing that as I am wined and dined today by friends! Soli deo gloria!


Happy Birthday.
happybday.gif
 
It's really unkind not to make things ready for them since they are going to be grieving and not likely to make good decisions.

Do them, and yourself, a favor and get things ready out of love to them.
I think this is a good idea, and I've actually been thinking about this topic off and on for a while now. A little surprised it turned up in a thread - good topic.

I think from now 'till the day I...umm...you know...am "out of sight", I'll be a frugal, tight wad type of guy. One problem with not taking care of this stuff ahead of time is that those who are left to take care of it have to do things quickly, and don't have the "luxury", or state of mind, to take their time and get a good price. They're left to pay whatever price the funeral folks tell them, who may very well be making a killing on the deal.

I'd never thought about it before, but I wonder where you'd look to find the range of prices for plots, grave stones, urns (for those who want cremation), etc. Do they have sales, buy 1 get 1 free type things? (waiting patiently for Andrew to provide quick, helpful links...)
 
Wise decision I would say! I agree and I also did that years ago and probably saved some $ as like everything else the price has risen on gravesites!

I can really appreciate that as, though I'm enjoying good health and a giant measure of His grace today on my 77th birthday I know that when He calls me home my family wont have to have that added concern!

How great He is and how thankful we should be for each single day! We only have it by His grace! Its the greatest thing to thank Him for on awakening each day! Also on birthdays there is so much to thank Him for and I will be doing that as I am wined and dined today by friends! Soli deo gloria!



AMEN! - to everything you've said!

May the Lord bless you and keep you, not only today but always!

Happy and blessed birthday!

Margaret






http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12
 
blhowes;


I'd never thought about it before, but I wonder where you'd look to find the range of prices for plots, grave stones, urns (for those who want cremation), etc. Do they have sales, buy 1 get 1 free type things? (waiting patiently for Andrew to provide quick, helpful links...)

Call around to various cemeteries in your area, they have 'salesmen' who can give quotes. Many of them even have special prices for family plots. Some of them even have programs that if your away from home or living in another state when you die, they will provide transportation back to the home state for you to be buried.

If you want to you can even buy a casket or urn from Costco...

Costco -

The Casket Gallery

Caskets,Cremation Urns, Cemetery Headstones from Casket Gallery Showrooms

Caskets & Urns

Urn Memorials: Urns & Caskets for Pets & People

Years ago, churches had burial grounds on or near them, and members of the church helped pay for the land, and were given burial plots..each of my grandparents, aunts, uncles and so forth all have burial plots near each other..churches don't seem to do that these days..
 
Years ago, churches had burial grounds on or near them, and members of the church helped pay for the land, and were given burial plots..each of my grandparents, aunts, uncles and so forth all have burial plots near each other..churches don't seem to do that these days..


Yep, My plot was provided by my family 3 generations back. I am to be buried next to my brother who died in infancy in my Great Grandpa Frost's family plot.
 
We learn to number our days so today I figure I have been blest with 28,105 days of His grace!

I like the thought provoking verse in Job:

Job 34:14,15 NKJ
If He should set His heart on it,
If He should gather to Himself His Spirit and His breath,
All flesh would perish together,
And man would return to dust!

So if we go to the ant and see the planning they do and as Nehemiah did we will prepare for the day of need!
 
One thing I believe we are to teach our children is how to die. It will be one of the most important things we do. It also will reflect what we know about truth and our meeting with God face to face. It is a process. Some are faster than others but I do believe the significance of our preparation and testimony will teach our families and friends how to die and how to die right.

How to die right is important. And how we do it teaches. That is one thing I learned from my talks with Dr. Roy Blackwood my Reformed Presbyterian Pastor.

Thanks, Randy. This may seem odd, but this gentle admonition ministered to me quite profoundly. Thanks for the good words!
Ben
 
Yep you read right.

At 41 I bought the plot where, if I die in the near future, I have a place to rest these bones. Should family come along things can always get moved around, more space, etc.

Now, I am not known for my planning ability but for all you all who know you are going to die (yes should the Lord tarry), have you made arrangements and have you passed them on to those who love you and whom you love? Do them a favor and perhaps prompt a sobering thought about their eternity.

If your family does not talk of death, as in avoids it, you need to wake them up to the fact that you (and they) will die and you had the foresight to take care of things with "the tent you are leaving behind" It's really unkind not to make things ready for them since they are going to be grieving and not likely to make good decisions.

Do them, and yourself, a favor and get things ready out of love to them.

Based on experience, conversations get serious and loving and you hear your parents say things you would not have thought them say.

I also read the arrangements out forefather made long, long ago (Abraham) and the burials that followed. Sobering and also good things for us to consider. Sometimes I catch glimpses of how short and insignificant my life will be.

I am assuming you are talking about having made your funeral pre-arrangements? I worked in a funeral home and wrote pre-arranged funeral plans, and I believe everyone should do it, so congratulations on making a wise decision. It will save you alot of money if you do it now as opposed to having your grieving family do it when the time of your physical death comes. When you make your funeral arrangements now you lock in today's prices and will not pay the future price which will be triple from what it is now. It may sound strange to talk about this, but as Christians we are realists when it comes to death. Of course unless Jesus returns before you die you will not need a grave :cool: But noone knows the day or hour of His return.
 
Sometimes I catch glimpses of how short and insignificant my life will be.

Bryan, already you have not had "the shortest" of lives... The Lord has already blessed you with 41 years and that's far better than five minutes, or five years... (I've known wee ones with types of cancer that take them in a few months, before they even start kindergarten.) The Lord has allowed you to be here long enough to give you the consciousness of salvation and what's more precious than that except for the fact of salvation itself?

Insignificant? NO!!! Not even one of the lives of God's children is insignificant. You have eternal significance and boundless worth. Sure, life seems short -and from the vantage point of all but children, it is - but not insignificant. You were among those the Lord Jesus Christ had in mind as He was dying on that cross. You are most significant!

I applaud you for having thoughtfully provided for your loved ones, but I would urge you to rethink the idea that your life is insignificant. (I haven't done anything with regard to my final arrangements, and I live my life being just one necessary but totally contraindicated blood transfusion away from being absent from the body and present with the Lord. So if y'all don't see me here for awhile, it might be reasonable to assume that I've received that blessed Perfect Cure! :) ) Bryan, you are ultimately significant, and everything you do as a blessed, adopted son of the King of the universe has eternal importance... A cup of cold water that you give in Jesus' name is noted by your Heavenly Father... How great is that?!

Back to what I posted on another thread: I encourage everyone to read Beeke's "Heirs with Christ..."

God bless you and keep you, Bryan.

Margaret
 
Sometimes I catch glimpses of how short and insignificant my life will be.

Bryan, already you have not had "the shortest" of lives... The Lord has already blessed you with 41 years and that's far better than five minutes, or five years... (I've known wee ones with types of cancer that take them in a few months, before they even start kindergarten.) The Lord has allowed you to be here long enough to give you the consciousness of salvation and what's more precious than that except for the fact of salvation itself?

Insignificant? NO!!! Not even one of the lives of God's children is insignificant. You have eternal significance and boundless worth. Sure, life seems short -and from the vantage point of all but children, it is - but not insignificant. You were among those the Lord Jesus Christ had in mind as He was dying on that cross. You are most significant!

I applaud you for having thoughtfully provided for your loved ones, but I would urge you to rethink the idea that your life is insignificant. (I haven't done anything with regard to my final arrangements, and I live my life being just one necessary but totally contraindicated blood transfusion away from being absent from the body and present with the Lord. So if y'all don't see me here for awhile, it might be reasonable to assume that I've received that blessed Perfect Cure! :) ) Bryan, you are ultimately significant, and everything you do as a blessed, adopted son of the King of the universe has eternal importance... A cup of cold water that you give in Jesus' name is noted by your Heavenly Father... How great is that?!

Back to what I posted on another thread: I encourage everyone to read Beeke's "Heirs with Christ..."

God bless you and keep you, Bryan.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret. I didn't mean to illicit that urgent and heart-warming response. You are adamant about that so I'll take it more to heart. Appreciate it. I'll remember the book, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top