Brian,
Disagreeing with me is fine, BTW. I do not want people treating what I suggest as though it ever was an unchallengeable deliverance.
Why are you assuming that 1Cor.5:6-8 is teaching us, in accordance with the LS observance?
The passage is speaking of Passover, and NOT the LS.
We are to keep PASSOVER, says Paul.
Do we keep Passover in or by the Lord's Supper?
Is that the NT way of thinking?
What I mean is, why doesn't a careful exegete like Calvin or Hodge (who goes out of his way to DENY this passage teaches with respect to the LS) make this point? Were they dense?
Mk.2:26, the ordinary word for bread is qualified by the term "of Presence"
The loaves of firstfruits, Lev.23:17 (that is, for Pentecost, another OT feast), and other vow-offerings (Lev.7:13) were supposed to be leavened. So, it isn't the case that leaven was without ceremonial use in the OT.
If anything, the NT rites "sum up" a great deal of OT matter, not merely one feast Passover, but Pentecost, Tabernacles, etc., and sacrifices, and... We are unwise to attempt perfect one-to one correspondences--one NT practice with one OT.
I would agree that the LS sums up a multitude of the OT feasts, and that is precisely why I would think the 1 CO 5:8 verse is critical. The LS is the only feast we have now. When Paul says, therefore "let us keep the feast, not with the old leaven (i.e., yeast), nor with the leaven of of malice and wickedness" the feast we keep is the LS. There is no other. When Christ instituted the LS, if it was at the feast of passover, then it had to be with unleavened bread, or Christ would have been violating the ceremonial law of Ex 12:15 (not that he could not have even as David did in eating the bread of the presence, but it seems to go against everything in the passages saying that preparations were made, which would include getting rid of all the yeast in the house, and there was no overriding issue of need.) And while I acknowledge the footnotes for the WCF are not the substance of the confession, I would think the use of the 1 Co 5 passage in the chapter dealing with the LS (footnote 555) would point to at least some group of godly men thinking the passage dealt with the LS.
I fully agree there is a qualifier in bread in Mark 2, yet the qualifier seems to be to point toward specification of the bread of the Presence, but it still uses the term for bread (and does not use the term for unleavened, even though we know it would have been unleavened). The point is that I do not know as the word "artos" would always mean leavened bread, and the lexicon I have indicates it is a possibly much broader term, and that it can refer to unleavened bread or even food in general (there is one reference in the NASB that translates it as meal). I would seriously doubt that Christ used leavened bread, rather than keeping the ceremonial law of the passover.
I fully agree that what we celebrate is not just a passover, it is more. The feast I think Paul refers to is the LS, but he uses the prefiguration of the passover (and brings in the knowledge of that type) to point to the celebration of our only feast.
Is that so far from the text? If Christ used unleavened bread, if Paul was using the passover to tell us that the celebration of the only feast we do celebrate is to be without either literal leaven (old leaven) or figurative leaven (malice and wickedness) then it would seem it was established by Christ, confirmed by Paul, and we would only change it if we err.
If it were truly incidental to the sacrament it would make no difference what is used. But it would seem that there is little to indicate it would be anything other than unleavened bread, and the 1 Co 5 passage would point to it being unleavened and substance.
If the loaf used were truly incidental, then a meatloaf could just as easily be used. If we say that bread is substance (that is, not meatloaf or some other food), then it would seem that the strength that gives us the need to use bread would also require unleavened bread.
By the way, what I said before still stands ... there are so few times when I find myself at odds with your wisdom, I really have to question myself when I see I am disagreeing with your posts. This being no exception. If it weren't for having been through a long course of study on worship myself (lead by someone I equally respect) I would probably not have any reason to question at all.
I hope to understand more nearly perfect how your position is formulated. I used to hold to it being incidental myself and actually liked the use of a fairly hefty loaf from which everyone tore a piece for the supper. Now we use matzo, so it is still a "loaf" (cracker) from which everyone gets a piece (broken ahead of time to assure it is enough for everyone), but the cracker is broken ahead of time, and while I liked being able to tear my own piece, I also realize that if the use of unleavened bread is commanded, then my own preference is meaningless.