Brian,
You didn't look at the posts I linked to
above. In no instance of a description of the Lord's Supper is the word for unleavened bread used. In actuallity, in every instance it is the Greek word for common loaf.
As I stated in the thread in the first link I gave above:
It is not conclusively clear from this that leavened bread is required, but it is a severe wresting of the text and Greek to require unleavened bread. It is more likely than not that it was leavened bread from the words of Scripture themselves. And after all, that is more important than any Jewish tradition or history.
Fred,
The word you point out is unleavened αζυμος is the word used in 1 Co 5:7, 8. You would have to argue that "For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. Therefore let us celebrate the feast ..." is not talking about the LS, but passover? I would think that while it is not specified directly, that it would be strange not to think of the feast as anything but the LS. What other feast do we celebrate?
While I would never say that with no statement of change we should follow the OT requirements of ceremonial law (which was abrogated under the NT) but the requirement to celebrate the feast of the LS is not OT law. Therefore, I would argue that the feast instituted by Christ first would have been the passover (Mat 26:17-19) for that is what was prepared. And while you carefully point out that the word bread in v.26 is αρτος, the word is a more general term from what I can see ... it is the same word for bread in many places, including Mark 2:26 which would be unleavened, so the larger context I would think would dictate what it would be. Given that it was the feast of unleavened bread, and that it was prepared (the disciples went to prepare it) the preparation would have included removing all yeast and having unleavened bread for the passover meal. The context is in light of v.17 which does use αζυμος (which you point out is unleavened).
From the context, it would have been redundant to specify αζυμος yet again, for no one of the time would have thought the bread would be anything but unleavened. So the addition of the weight of 1 Co 5:6-8 (also uses αζυμος) in connection with "the feast" would seem to confirm a use of unleavened bread. If the original was unleavened, and 1 Co 5:7 confirms unleavened, I would think it incumbent upon those that wish to change the material in the LS to show why it should not be taken as substance but rather incidence.
So my premise is this
- The original was constituted at the passover (the feast of unleavened bread)
- The bread used would have assuredly been unleavened (Exo 12:15 ... there would be no leaven in the house)
- 1 Cor. 5:6-8 confirms the use of unleavened bread in the only NT feast (the LS)
I don't see a lot of wiggle room there. If this is in regard to worship, then it is not a matter open to Christian Liberty (anything beside the word is not within liberty) and the RPW would seem to insist the use of unleavened bread.
I do think you may be wrong in saying that αρτος is always leavened bread, for it is the the word used in Mark 2:26 (and the parallel passages). These speak of the consecrated bread which only the priest can lawfully eat (which was unleavened bread). Unless there is something else going on here (and there very well could be), that would mean it is unleavened in those cases (and the lexicons I have gives it a broader meaning than leavened bread).
As I've said, I can be instructed in these areas, but there seem to be holes in the argument which you gave before.
Brian,
I can't give this discussion the time it needs - other matters press (it seems they always do lately!), but I wanted to briefly reply since you stated in your last post that you had a practical consequence coming up on Sunday.
First, as a general (high level) matter, I believe it is not wise to try and find a great deal of correspondence in the physicality of the OT and NT sacraments. In most cases there is wide disparity: baptism does not involve blood, and the Lord's Supper does not involve what was the main element of the Passover (the lamb) and does involve an element not found in the Passover (the cup). This is not dispositive, but I think should give us pause before we
insist that a certain element
must be retained.
Second, I believe that you are making 1 Cor. 5:7-8 bear more weight than it can. As Bruce has pointed out, the divines appear to be going out of their way
not to make the connection you would. The passage is about the benefits to the people of God after the sacrifice: in the former instance, the sustenance of the lamb, in the latter, the benefits of Christ's work (esp. His death). The use of the adjective unleavened ( [FONT="]ἄζυμος[/FONT]) with (the implicit, not explicit word) bread in 1 Cor. 5:8 is directly linked to the use of the adjective unleavened to describe the Corinthians themselves in 1 Cor. 5:7. (See Calvin, Henry, et al.
in loc.)
Third, there is no definitive exegetical evidence that the showbread itself was required to be unleavened. In every instance I could find, unleavened bread is matzah ( [FONT="]מַצָּה[/FONT]) in the Hebrew. When describing the showbread, that word is not used. In fact, most often
lechem ( [FONT="]לֶחֶם[/FONT]), the ordinary word for bread/food is used. So I do not believe that you can make a case from Mark 2:26, which is the only case in which the ordinary Greek word for bread ( [FONT="]ἄρτος[/FONT]) (which is attested throughout the Classical corpus, and never means unleavened bread, because it was unknown/unused by the Greeks) could possibly refer to "unleavened bread." In
every other instance of the use of unleavened (Matt. 26:17; Mk. 14:1,12; Lk. 22:1,7; Acts 12:3; 20:6; 1 Co. 5:7) the Greek adjective ( [FONT="]ἄζυμος[/FONT]) is used
as a substantive without even the word for bread appearing.
Fourth, arguments from morality - "leaven = bad, so the Lord's Supper could not possibly have leaven in it" ignore the equally possible (and equally inapplicable, I would argue) argument that leaven = the expansion of the Kingdom (Mt. 13:33).
Therefore, it seems an exegetical stretch to
insist that in every instance where the Lord's Supper is described and the word "bread" is used, that the author deliberately avoided the perfectly clear (and historical OT/LXX word) for unleavened bread in favor of a word that in every other context of all of literature (other NT and Classical Greek) means either "food" (generically) or "loaf of bread." The only possible exception (as I have pointed out above) in all of extent literature, is the dubious/disputed reference in Mark 2:26. Even if we grant that the Last Supper
was the Passover (which is
not granted by all exegetes), there is no more reason to say that the same form of bread must be used, than to say that the same implements of circumcision used by Abraham must be used somehow in baptism. It appears far more reasonable to me that the word for "loaf of bread" was used to avoid this very question, that of foisting Jewish ceremonial distinctive on what was very soon to become an international (and Gentile dominated) Church.
Blessings,