To love God is to follow his prescriptive will to the letter, jots & tittles, and joyfully. We can not do that in and of ourselves. We do not love God as we ought; if we say otherwise, we are deceiving ourselves, as we sin every day, wittingly or unwittingly - by act or omission. We can only please or love God in Christ's bosom until changed in Glory.
Forward:
A quick note I'm adding after I finished my post below to explain my thoughts better. I don't think I said well what I intended to say. Also, I believe I used too many words to say next to nothing. But at the heart of what I need to study to say better is that God can be served, he can be obeyed, he can be feared, and yet not be the primary love of our hearts. That's what he's after. He doesn't need stuff done for him. God doesn't feel better if you kneel and worship his glorious Majesty for an hour more than usual. He doesn't need it. God is expanding his family to include humans on both sides. This work of God is such a big deal we couldn't possibly have thought high enough to take it in.
~~~~~~
Good thoughts all,
Your first sentence,
"To love God is to follow his prescriptive will to the letter, jots & tittles, and joyfully," raises a question or two in my mind that I'd like to pursue for a moment.
There are two ways you could take the first sentence. The first way is how I always took it until 5 or 6 years ago. I would often quote from Romans the several verses I pasted below two, almost any discussion on the subject of our duty to God. Thinking back, it was always harsh seeming to me. If I could paraphrase (exaggerate), it would go something like this. "Listen up, people, we must obey
all the commands of God in Scripture, and you had better do it joyfully, too. Cuz he's always watching."
Here's Paul on the subject. I often quoted this passage from memory because that's how often I used it. I got to be kind of a royal pain in the ass.
Romans 13:8-10
[8] Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. [9] For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [10] Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
For me, this verse settled it. The definition of loving God is to do lots of stuff that he says you must.
What about 7 or 8 years ago, I started seeing love for God as something more than just doing what he says. I've been an employer for 32 years, and I can tell you that just because you have an employee who does a lot of stuff for you doesn't mean he loves you.
Let's try this on a married couple; see what the wife thinks of this kind of
love.
The husband to his wife after just getting home from work.
"Hey babe, we've been married for quite a while now, and I got to be honest with you. I no longer desire intimacy with you, and I think it's time we grew up and stopped those silly moonlight walks and talks.
But I promise to continue--no redouble--the things I do for you because I love you. Hun, why are you crying? You're going to have more things done for you than ever before.
But let me ask you yet again: Why are you crying, babe? I'm only saying what we both have known for some time was true. I wanted to assure you of my steadfast love and care for you as long as we both shall live.
What's that? You want me to read 1 Corinthians 13?
Why?
Our beautiful Tri-unity is not many things; no, He is everything. But what is He at His root that causes this Love? He repeatedly tells us that his primary 'attribute,' if you will, or the very essence of His being, is love. That's what he keeps telling us to believe. God is just not like what most Christians think He is. Oh yes, the Lord Jesus Christ will personally judge the world in righteousness someday. But it isn't going to be fun. He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked. He gets nothing of benefit to him by whatever service we give Him. God the Three Persons have mutually loved, respected, obeyed, honored, and enjoyed each other's eternal Bliss and the love they are well practiced at for all eternity.
God may be provoked to wrath, but He
is Love. Jesus, our great high priest, elder Brother, and Creator of the universe, loves my soul as He loves Himself. The Lord is my friend and your friend now. And what a friend He is! In all God does for us and with us, He only gives--He never takes. He needs nothing. But it seems that the great
I Am, that I Am, is exploding with love. God is spreading throughout His creation, giving life wherever he goes. We have no idea how we will Marvel at his very appearance. The marveling will begin the change in us, completed only at a resurrection. God made a self-maledictory oath that if he didn't keep his promise, he would be ripped to shreds like the body parts he passed between.
Do you know what a reliable theologian has told me is the most frequent command in Scripture?
Do not fear.
I love Him.