Cage-Stage Calvinism Defined

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyH

Puritan Board Senior
I lead a somewhat sheltered life, and though I'm on the cutting edge forum of Reformed theology, the Puritan Board, I frequently am behind the curve and have to do a google search to figure out what the conversation is about. "Cage Stage", cage stagers being mentioned more often lately I finally looked it up. For anyone else who may have been unsure of what the term refers to R.C. Sproul has a good article about the phenomenon here.

Cage phase Calvinists are the ones who are always arguing about doctrine or are living so freely in reaction to their legalistic past that they are like rabid dogs that need to be put in a cage until they calm down.

Daniel R. Hyde, Grace Worth Fighting For: Recapturing the Vision of God's Grace in the Canons of Dort (Kindle Locations 2012-2014). The Davenant Press. Kindle Edition.

By the definition above, I can't say I've met any cage-stage Calvinists (all my life I haven't spent much time around Calvinists in general) although I have definitely encountered Arminians of a similarly virulent strain.

Cage phase Calvinists are the ones who are always arguing about doctrine or are living so freely in reaction to their legalistic past that they are like rabid dogs that need to be put in a cage until they calm down.

Daniel R. Hyde, Grace Worth Fighting For: Recapturing the Vision of God's Grace in the Canons of Dort (Kindle Locations 2012-2014). The Davenant Press. Kindle Edition.

Hey, Daniel, my hardcover copy of Hyde's new book should be arriving any day now. Looking forward to it.

Oh you mean D.G. Hart and R. Scott Clark?

I lead a somewhat sheltered life, and though I'm on the cutting edge forum of Reformed theology, the Puritan Board, I frequently am behind the curve and have to do a google search to figure out what the conversation is about. "Cage Stage", cage stagers being mentioned more often lately I finally looked it up. For anyone else who may have been unsure of what the term refers to R.C. Sproul has a good article about the phenomenon here.

I was in a similar position. Seems to be an American thing.

Great article, thanks for sharing!

I first heard Michael Horton use the phrase on a broadcast of the White Horse Inn some years ago. I was at that time newly acquainted with the doctrines of grace myself, I was in something of a "cage stage". By God's grace I have since calmed down and no longer in need of confinement.

CAGE FOR SALE. MAKE OFFER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back