Calvin Quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKing

Puritan Board Junior
I was searching for the quote that (I thought) was in Calvin this week and have not been able to find it.

Do any of you recall a place in his writings where Calvin lists the two most important things to know and puts them in order 1.How to worship God and then 2. The way of salvation. I realize I may have misrepresented that pretty badly, but does it ring any bells?
 
I was searching for the quote that (I thought) was in Calvin this week and have not been able to find it.

Do any of you recall a place in his writings where Calvin lists the two most important things to know and puts them in order 1.How to worship God and then 2. The way of salvation. I realize I may have misrepresented that pretty badly, but does it ring any bells?

The Necessity of Reforming the Church

"If it be inquired, then, by what things chiefly the Christian religion has a standing existence amongst us, and maintains its truth, it will be found that the following two not only occupy the principal place, but comprehend under them all the other parts, and consequently the whole substance of Christianity: that is, a knowledge, first, of the mode in which God is duly worshipped; and, secondly, of the source from which salvation is to be obtained."

http://www.swrb.ab.ca/newslett/actualNLs/NRC_ch02.htm
 
John Calvin, The Necessity of Reforming the Church:

If it be inquired, then, by what things chiefly the Christian religion has a standing existence amongst us, and maintains its truth, it will be found that the following two not only occupy the principal place, but comprehend under them all the other parts, and consequently the whole substance of Christianity, viz., a knowledge, first, of the mode in which God is duly worshipped; and, secondly, of the source from which salvation is to be obtained.
 
Thanks, both of you. What a handy resource the PB is :) I knew I had seen that but I often have a difficult time remembering where in the large Calvin corpus I have seen things.
 
Last edited:
I was searching for the quote that (I thought) was in Calvin this week and have not been able to find it.

Do any of you recall a place in his writings where Calvin lists the two most important things to know and puts them in order 1.How to worship God and then 2. The way of salvation. I realize I may have misrepresented that pretty badly, but does it ring any bells?

This is what comes to my mind...

Calvin: Nearly all the wisdom we possess, that is to say, true and sound
wisdom, consists of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves. Institutes, I:1:1.

DTK
 
Thanks, both of you. What a handy resource the PB is :) I knew I had seen that but I often have a difficult time remembering where in the large Clavin corpus I have seen things.

You are most welcome though I don't think this has anything to do with 'Cheers'.

200px-Cheers_cliff.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top