Capitalization Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
If you are using the words "God's word" to refer to the Bible, is the "w" in "word" supposed to be capitalized?
 
I don't think it's "supposed" to be capitalized, but it often is out of reverence for the fact that Bible is from God. The same goes for the capitalization of pronouns referring to God ("the Lord, He is good") which, personally, I like because sometimes, contextually, it helps to identify more than one "he" in a verse or two (which "he" are you talking about).
 
I would say no. But when Jesus is referred to as 'the word made flesh' you could get away with writing it as 'The Word made flesh' but it's a stylistic choice... not a right or wrong.

Not all translations will capitalize pronouns for God Some do some don't but they try and at least be consistent
 
An excellent question. The Christian Writer's Manual of Style says yes when referring to the Bible or to Christ, no when referring generally to God's statements or promises.

Word, the (Bible or Christ)
Word made flesh (Christ)
word of God (his statement or
promise)
Word of God (the Bible)
Word of Life
Word of Truth, the

Individual publishers sometimes have different preferences, but the Manual is usually a good guide. In this case, the convention is helpful because it allows a writer to show whether or not he means the Bible by whether or not he uses capitalization.
 
I don't think it's "supposed" to be capitalized, but it often is out of reverence for the fact that Bible is from God. The same goes for the capitalization of pronouns referring to God ("the Lord, He is good") which, personally, I like because sometimes, contextually, it helps to identify more than one "he" in a verse or two (which "he" are you talking about).

Well stated brother. I believe that what matters is obedience. God knows the intentions of our hearts and everything is very clear to Him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top