Challenge: Define Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupotea

Puritan Board Junior
Recently, my Bible Study group was trying to define Biblical love. It can be very hard to come up with a one-sentce definition!!! :puzzled:

Puritanboard members: please give it a try. I'm curious to see what we'll come up with.

(We're looking for a definition, not examples, etc)

Kristine, thank God for sentiment and emotion but I believe we confuse our definition of Biblical love by trying to bring sentiment and emotion into it. Love is simply the preference of one for another. God's love is a choosing love (preference) in fact election is a good equivalent for the word love. God's love is uncoditional and unchanging and therefore what it is in eternity it must remain in time, hence, election.

When we choose a spouse we are choosing, electing and prefering one over all others. When we love a brother or sister in Christ we are choosing to prefer that person even at the risk of our own self interest.

The one sentence would be - Love is the preference of one for another.
(My two cents)

How about:

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1Jo 4:10)

From his book "Desiring God" ( :thumbup: ), John Piper defines love this way: "Love is the overflow of joy in God that gladly meets the needs of others." :book:

Most often people describe the effects of love but not love (e.g. 1 Cor 13). Maxdetail is right too in that many often define love with mere emotion (not that love is necessary devoid of emotion for man). Col. 3:14 defines love as the bond of perfection. Some like to define love as a covenant bond.

John 15:13

And here is how to measure it--the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends.
New Living Translation (c) 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back