Changing Churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

coramdeo

Puritan Board Sophomore
Ok here is the situation, I am not happy with my church. Although I like the people, this church is just too shallow for me. It is way too "seeker friendly"
and I just can't abide the music at all. Not just a matter of style but lack of substance also. Some of my friends, and my son's family have already moved
on to a much more traditional "Baptist" church. (not reformed per se, but the pastor often quotes noteable reformed preachers.) In short, I also would like to move on. The problem is that everytime I think I am ready, I get a "check" in my spirit as though God does not want me to do that. I have been asked to teach in my Sunday School class starting sometime after Easter, so it could be that I can bring some depth to them. My burden is for those in the church who are living under a false conversion. I am just pondering on all of this so if anyone has something to share that would be great.:think:
 
After five years in my past church and three in leadership I left. I was asked to start a discipleship class. I had thoughts that I would be able to present the doctrines of grace there and therefore have people start off from a proper foundation. Unfortunately once they would leave from me they would have walked into a sermon which emphasized liberational theology and our synergistic relationship with God. I was torn because I felt as well that God could use me there and leaving would be a mistake.

I began attending a PCA church in the evening. For a couple of months I was going to service twice on Sunday. After prayer and witnessing the difference between the congregations I knew I had to leave. Seeker-sensitivity is horrible because every seeker is different. So in situations where things should be black & white such as sin...well that became on how we should best approach this person in the way we would want to be approached. That translated into ignoring issues as just "allowing the Lord to work."

For me I had a very tough time leaving. Pragmatically I should have stayed. Licensure/ordination would happen immediately upon graduation from seminary. One of the "ministers" who has never been formally trained, she is getting ordained. I could have gone straight from seminary into the military. No need to learn the biblical languages or any internship requirements.

Now I am a pastoral intern in the PCA, where the requirements are no joke. I have to take additional classes in hermeneutics, systematic theology, and church history from Whitefield. I have to take a year of Greek and Hebrew. I have to take all the licensure exams as well get examined in person. Same thing for ordination. I have quite a bit of requirements to fulfill. Meetings, ministering responsibilities, preaching, teaching, hospital visits, prison visits, nursing home visits....

I am not posting all this to impress you. I am posting this to impress upon you how difficult of a decision leaving was for me because of my loyalty to the pastor and how complicated my life would become if I joined the PCA. In the end I believe I made the right decision for myself and family.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top