Charismatic - a question of definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycanuck

Puritan Board Freshman
I am probably leaning more to the cessationist but I am wondering about the word that is used to describe a certain group - charismatics. Is this word a compound word? Would it mean, the result of Grace or the action of Grace? What I am wondering if I would be correct in stating that a spiritual gift is an instantaneous, monergistic, unilateral enablement by God in the power of the Holy Spirit; to do or say something beyound someone's natural abilities. This gift then would be to fulfill a specific purpose of God within the time-frame in which God permits.

Definitions are helpful in someone understanding your arguments but charismatics... ...a bit like herding cats - you won't round them all up.

One aspect that needs to be to the fore is the word "normative". When I have conceded that God can still heal my charismatic friends pounce on that. What I mean however is that it is not normative now, not routine, in the sense that you can expect to be healed miraculously of cancer or AIDS.

I would agree that the gifts of the Holy Spirit would not be normative as events that were manifested during the life of the Apostles. Providentially, could one still be able to be enabled by the Holy Spirit to perform a certain gift? For example, if there was someone who did not speak my language, could God enable me to speak that persons dialect, in order to offer the free grace of the gospel? Of course, in keeping with my above definition, it being an instantaneous, monergistic, unilateral act of God; according to His time-frame, this act may never be indued upon the me ever again?

Definitions are helpful in someone understanding your arguments but charismatics... ...a bit like herding cats - you won't round them all up.

One aspect that needs to be to the fore is the word "normative". When I have conceded that God can still heal my charismatic friends pounce on that. What I mean however is that it is not normative now, not routine, in the sense that you can expect to be healed miraculously of cancer or AIDS.

Cessationists would generally say that five supernatural gifts have ceased since the New Testament biblical foundation laid by the Holy Spirit through the Apostles, viz. languages, the interpretation of languages, healing, prophecy and miracles. Also the two offices of apostle and prophet.

Praying that someone will be healed is very different from claiming to have the gift of healing.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

why do you guys reply to posts other than mine? Are my questions not valid?

They are valid, but I'll leave your Q for someone with the requisite knowledge of NT Greek.

If the Scriptures indicate a change in administration of verbal revelatory and associated gifts i.e. healing and miracles, since the Apostolic Administration, I'm not sure how much you'll learn from your word study alone.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back