Charles Spurgeon and William Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I read one of Spurgeon's sermons today. His text was Isaiah 46:6, and the sermon was preached on May 28, 1855, when he was just 20 years old.

An interesting tidbit about his history popped up when he mentioned, in passing, that he had heard William Jay preach. "Is that possible?," I thought (not that I doubted Spurgeon's veracity; it just sort of took me by surprise). So, I looked up Jay's dates. Jay died on December 27, 1853 at the age of 84, when Spurgeon was 19 and in the midst of his Waterbeach pastorate (1851-1854).

So, yes, it's possible that Spurgeon heard Jay preach - but only just. Jay's ministry was coming to an end, and Spurgeon's was just beginning.

You pick up interesting little odds and ends about Spurgeon from his sermons sometimes.
 
I read one of Spurgeon's sermons today. His text was Isaiah 46:6, and the sermon was preached on May 28, 1855, when he was just 20 years old.

An interesting tidbit about his history popped up when he mentioned, in passing, that he had heard William Jay preach. "Is that possible?," I thought (not that I doubted Spurgeon's veracity; it just sort of took me by surprise). So, I looked up Jay's dates. Jay died on December 27, 1853 at the age of 84, when Spurgeon was 19 and in the midst of his Waterbeach pastorate (1851-1854).

So, yes, it's possible that Spurgeon heard Jay preach - but only just. Jay's ministry was coming to an end, and Spurgeon's was just beginning.

You pick up interesting little odds and ends about Spurgeon from his sermons sometimes.

Could he not have heard him as a boy? I heard a few preachers in my youth.
 
Yes, he could have heard Jay as a boy. I don't know of any family trips to Bath, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen! And, I'm sure Jay did a certain amount of outside preaching, even as an elderly man.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top